• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: There’s a Lot Riding on GTA 6 — and Not Just for Rockstar and Take-Two - Could be the most important game release Ever

Mr Hyde

Eiyuden Chronicles is much more important. It's the spiritual successor to Suikoden. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity here. We'll never get anything like it ever again.

Senua

Sure thing a game made by a studio of +6000 employees and 8 years of development is the way to go for everybody else.
Naughty Dog:
how i met your mother barney GIF

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I share this concern. Benzies, Dan Houser and Lazlow are gone. That will have an impact on some level.

You're forgetting Michael Unsworth, Jamie King, and Rupert Humphries. Just as important. Basically the entire OG writing team is gone. This is critical.

There's a reason why RDR2 is considered Rockstar's "swan song"

Dorago

For anyone looking forward to this game, what lessons do you think Rockstar has learned with the massive success of GTA V's online mode?

I judge importance on an objective scale. Any game that can sell hardware is important. If one game sells more consoles than another game, its more important. This game will undoubtedly sell more consoles than any other game, probably in history, most definitely in the past 2 generations. Importance = makes money, sells hardware. not how good or bad i think the game is.

Another way to judge importance is by what the game does for a genre. GTA 3 was important for open worlds, it created the blueprint still followed today.

GTA 6 may now create another blueprint for the rest of the industry to strive towards.

It'll do that in a day not a week

I doubt it will move that many consoles, whenever this releases in 2025 or maybe 2026 PS5 will be pushing 80+ million units. An enormous majority of people who buy GTA6 will already have the hardware to play it, this isn't Wii Sports.

nush

anyone else secretly hope GTA6 massively fails and takes down the gaming industry with it.
You know, there is a certain appeal of gamings golden cow becoming the poster child for current year gamings failure. ONLY IF it buys into all the shit of gamings playbook of supposed success.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
"will spark “renewed interest” in video games, before going one step further: “There's probably never been a more important thing to ever release in the industry, so no pressure.”"

Sure sure, especially at 30 fps, high input lag on potato dual sticks gunplay.

Kacho

You're forgetting Michael Unsworth, Jamie King, and Rupert Humphries. Just as important. Basically the entire OG writing team is gone. This is critical.

It’s really sad to think Rockstars best years are behind them.

Lupin25

We’re in the downward slide because people came to a mass realization… Covid-19 essentially created a bubble in gaming that the industry has to correct.

GTA 6 is important, simply for the fact that it may be one of the first few games that justifies the hardware we have right now.

Otherwise, not many games do. BG3, Returnal, maybeeee Alan Wake (for visuals)? It’s a short list, and those games arent for everyone, certainly not for the casual.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I doubt it will move that many consoles, whenever this releases in 2025 or maybe 2026 PS5 will be pushing 80+ million units. An enormous majority of people who buy GTA6 will already have the hardware to play it, this isn't Wii Sports.
It will move consoles for sure. Lots of casuals will buy this. Will move millions of consoles. Especially the PRO version of ps5. Consoles have been on a downward path lately and they need a behemoth to get people excited again. This is that, people will buy new hardware for it.

I know tons of people who still think this game will release on PS4

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Slow news day stating something anyone here can think and say but don't make articles about.

It's going to be fine. All this does it bring it more attention.

Shrinking bubble after Covid expansion.
Inflation costs still affecting other consumer goods.
Backlogs bigger than ever with amazing games to play.

Not sure how much even GTA can effect that. Can it pull people into a stagnating console ecosystem? Can it keep them going forward?

"just another GTA" like its a yearly COD game or some shit.

GTA game are once every other generation event type games.
Exactly, a new GTA is a global event like no other in gaming and possibly in entertainment. Its one of the few franchises that appeals far beyond the hardcore gamer and even non gamers know what GTA is.

Go_Ly_Dow

My feeling is that GTA6 and GTA6 Online will suck up all that precious engagement that all the publishers and studios are fighting for. Similar to how a select few games like Minecraft, Fornite, Call of Duty have captured the market to the point many people just play these games and nothing else.

I share this concern. Benzies, Dan Houser and Lazlow are gone. That will have an impact on some level.
But it’s unclear what their contribution was before leaving. Could be small. Could be sizable. Could be nothing at all. Could be they left after completing their duties. We don’t know yet

Wrong. Michael and Rupert finished their duties before leaving. GTA 6 is on their resumes. GTA 7/Red Dead 3 will be without them though

All publishers were foolish to expect a trend started during the pandemic when the government was giving out "free" money to continue pushing profits upwards. It was dumb to bank on anything from that time to continue on and now they are all seeing the blowback. I don't really feel a lick of empathy for these guys. It sucks, but it's the reality of the world. Disposable income is less disposable for things like games and partying when you are struggling to pay for food or rent.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
gta is so casual I don't see what it could change. It will stalemate released month after it and that's about it

Too sad and bad that this type of article resonates with a lot of people.

The industry is possibly similar or a bit better compared to pre-COVID levels, but it’s IGN.

Also, GTA 6 will sell a LOT, and move some consoles, a lot of people saying otherwise will be very disappointed.

jm89

GTA will be the nuke to get people to move over to the new consoles.

EA and activision could have probably get people to move over faster, but they still want to make their yearly money makers for last gen.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'm in the minority and don't really care at all about GTA as a brand anymore. It already feels to corporate & compromised... just not as bad as the rest.

Frankly I think I'd be okay with seeing every game with major corporate interests fail for a while, and let nature take its course to give more original teams the space to build what they want.

Salz01

All the big studios outside of Insomniac have been lack luster this gen. GTA6 is by far the most hyped I’ve been for a game in a long time.

Boss Mog

The sad part is that so many people will buy it for its technical prowess despite the fact that it will likely be filled with woke propaganda and no actual humor. Even sadder is that I'll probably be one of those people.

Top Bottom