• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Positive Wii Press: Wii Bowling Knocks Over Retirement Home

Zaptruder

Banned
Good times. Nintendo and Iwata certainly deserve their kudos for thinking outside the box.

I just hope developers don't latch onto this relatively casual base and start catering to them at the expense of the hardcore loyal gamers.

So... a few wii sports, brain trainings, nintendogs and what not are all well and good.

A market flooded with that stuff is doom for us all!

Pud

Banned
Zaptruder said:

Clearly.
nintendo-ds-lite.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
Pud said:

Again, the DS has the full range of classic controls built into it.

The Wii does not.

Plus, the DS excels where handhelds should; in portability, quick loading, short less expensive games.

Where as the Wii doesn't excel in the better graphics side of home gaming... indeed, it's woeful!

It's all good and well that the Wii has it's place; it should. But as long as publishers don't lose focus of the traditional hardcore market is all.

Deku

Banned
Wii doesn't have the NES/FC controller as standard? It doesnt have a GameCube controller port?

Wow, I must have a secret Wii SP version in my living room then.

cvxfreak

Deku said:
Wii doesn't have the NES/FC controller as standard? It doesnt have a GameCube controller port?

Wow, I must have a secret Wii SP version in my living room then.

It's not bundled so it's disqualified, sorry.

...despite the fact there's early history of Nintendo bundling controllers where necessary...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the spending power of that demographic must be huge. how many of those people in the retirement home will actually buy one when all is said and done? they can't even see the worth in buying tvs larger than 15 inches.

Peter303

"We'll even have a fan for people to dry their hands before they bowl," said Dierbach, head of Sedgebrook's entertainment committee.

wtf!!! How are these old people getting wet hands, and what's wrong with a towel?

Brofist

Peter303 said:
wtf!!! How are these old people getting wet hands, and what's wrong with a towel?

they probably just want to keep that authentic bowling alley feel with the fans, unless when you turn 70 you get some ****ed up sweat gland issues in your hands.

Peter303

kpop100 said:
they probably just want to keep that authentic bowling alley feel with the fans, unless when you turn 70 you get some ****ed up sweat gland issues in your hands.

ok, that makes sense, i've never noticed fans in the bowling alleys ive been to. My apologies to the old folks for suggesting they had some kind of manky hand thing going on.

Brofist

Peter303 said:
ok, that makes sense, i've never noticed fans in the bowling alleys ive been to. My apologies to the old folks for suggesting they had some kind of manky hand thing going on.

well hey no one ruled that out yet :p

CorwinB

Third party devs will have to adapt to this new customer paradigm. I, for one, can't wait to see "Dance Dance Revolution : Vienna Waltz edition"

Burai

shitonmychest57
Nicktals said:
end of thread.

It's things like this that really put into perspective (for me, at least) how little we, as hardcore gamers, matter. If the elderly and women fall in love with something that has simplistic graphics and no depth, such as Wii Sports, it has the potential to sell 5 times more than most great selling games sell...It's kind of a scary thought.

But I love Wii Sports, so what do I know?

Well we do matter, because we're the ones that actually buy games. This retirement home is unlikely to EVER buy another game for their Wii and that probably holds true for a large number of people in the Wii's new audience.

I do think that the Wii may well end up with the wost tie-ratio this industry has ever seen, not due to quality of games available, but simply due to people buying it solely for the pack-in.

Burai said:
Well we do matter, because we're the ones that actually buy games. This retirement home is unlikely to EVER buy another game for their Wii and that probably holds true for a large number of people in the Wii's new audience.

I do think that the Wii may well end up with the wost tie-ratio this industry has ever seen, not due to quality of games available, but simply due to people buying it solely for the pack-in.

The only precedent we have so far for this is the DS, and that has an absolutely crazy tie-ratio for a handheld.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Zaptruder said:
Good times. Nintendo and Iwata certainly deserve their kudos for thinking outside the box.

I just hope developers don't latch onto this relatively casual base and start catering to them at the expense of the hardcore loyal gamers.

So... a few wii sports, brain trainings, nintendogs and what not are all well and good.

Barely four months into the console's life and we're already writing it off as the exclusive province of "non-games"? That's pretty short-sighted, don't you think? Just because Nintendo effectively made a standard controller a two-handed, motion-sensitive affair doesn't mean it can't handle games that "hard core" (I kind of laugh at that term, by the way) gamers would want to play.

justchris

Burai said:

That doesn't make any sense. While the new audience will likely buy less games than the hardcore audience (I know I buy at least 1 game a month, sometimes 2-4), as long as they have the hardware, they're going to want something to do with it. It may be 6 months before they get bored of Wii Sports, but eventually it will happen. At that point, they face the prospect of just tossing the Wii, or of paying another $50 to get a new game they can get perhaps another 6 months of enjoyment out of.

It will happen. It's basic human nature.

Wow, that's weak. I hate it when old people act "young". I hate the fact that most old people don't realize the fact that they shouldn't live over 50. I hate society of today. Get rid of the old people.

Love you gramma, but you gotta go :*

Jokeropia

VicAlpha said:
AniHawk said:
But what happens in two years when these people want something more? That's right. PS360 time, baby.

Archie said:
Just a fad. Just a fad. It'll go away soon enough and grandma will want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 again.

edit: Damn you, Anihawk.
Archie
Second-rate Anihawk

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Defuser

Ynos Yrros said:
Wow, that's weak. I hate it when old people act "young". I hate the fact that most old people don't realize the fact that they shouldn't live over 50. I hate society of today. Get rid of the old people.

You wish you wouldn't say that when you turn fifty in the future

Ynos Yrros said:

I'd love to think this was a joke, but I've seen your post history.

I can't believe the Wii can cost up to S$850 in my country.

Pud

Banned
davepoobond said:
take away the stylus and what do you have? GBA controls plus two buttons.

Did you miss my post above with the PS2 controller split in 2? :D

I said Wow.
If they were playing the PS3, he'd be praising them

Donnie

Ynos Yrros said:

One day you'll grow up and, hopefully, won't think the same way. Otherwise you'll be condemned to idiocy for the rest of your life :(

davepoobond said:
take away the stylus and what do you have? GBA controls plus two buttons.
Take away the waggle and pointer and what do you have? More or less an N64 controller in the usually-used center/right configuration.

Top Bottom