• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Nintendo wise to position Switch as a home console in its launch year?

PtM

Banned
I hope that the DS/3DS line doesn't die otherwise how will Nintendo rerelease duel screen games on future systems virtual consoles?

I really don't consider the Switch to be a portable game system since I can't put it in my pocket.
Two views, one screen.

a) You couldn't either with a DSXL.
b) They will be able to cram the Switch into a smaller SKU at some point.

Tanoooki

I think the Switch was supposed to kill the whole paradigm of home console or handheld. Nintendo should just market the Switch as ... the Switch. That's part of it's genius and why it's doing so well.

Hopefully Nintendo will announce some AAA software that is must have because as of now 2018 looks pretty sparse for the Switch. A mainline Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing announcement right now would help propel sales after the Zelda and Mario hype slows down.

My switch is 100% a console so Im good with that.

I'm definitely happy its a hybrid for the unified dev base though, always hated missing out on so many quality 3DS games but have zero interest in playing on tiny screens.

I think they took a big calculated risk by calling it a home console that you can take with you, because one of two things could have happened, and one of them did:

1 - People start calling it the weakest home console out of the three
2 - People start warming up to the idea that games that you are normally forced to play in your livingroom can now be taken everywhere with you.

Obviously they didn't want to call it a handheld (because it really isn't), as that would have eaten up some of the 3DS sales, and Nintendo knew they would be supporting the 3DS for at least a year after the Switch launch.

With all of the commercials centered on being able to take it with you, people understood the significance of it, and along with arguably the best first-year lineup of any Nintendo console in history, it sold like hotcakes.

Top Bottom