• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More StarCraft Remastered Rumors, May-June Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontovik

Banned
Will there be a live-stream of the event?

The fact that Blizzard is being low-key with this 'announcement' makes me wonder if it'll just end up being a disappointment.

Far from it as possible. Even in its own time, Dark Reign was a better, more indepth game than Starcraft. Total Annihilation wipes the floor with it.

Different opinions and all but neither of those games come close to Starcraft for me. Dark reign was a fun game but deeply flawed, mechanically you can't even compare it to Starcraft.

Starcraft was and still remains the best RTS ever made.

Poor story? Common now, SC2 story is ok. There are lots of inconsistencies in SC/BW just like in SC2

Poor story is being generous. SC2 is the worst type of tripe. The writing and plot are horrendous and they also manage to take a huge shit on the original game. I still enjoyed the campaigns for the fun gameplay but they completely ruined the story.

Syf

Banned

Woorloog

Banned
If the remaster is real, could these pro games be played on it? Would be hell of a way to reveal the game.

"Wait, whoah, this isn't 480p resolution..."

Jezbollah

I imagine it's less about the story, but more about making Brood War more acceptable these days as an eSport. It doesn't make Blizzard look good to have to "go back" and replace SC2 with BW, which is where the glory days were in that scene, and using a game client that dates back 20 years. They need to make it look more acceptable for the new generation of esports fan in that market.

That the announcement is packaged with an e-sports nostalgia event gives me hope that the remake will do right by the professional scene and not mess with any of BW's mechanics, though I can already imagine the potential backlash if it follows SC2's lead in removing old-school LAN (as I suspect it will).

Ideal scenario: no messing with the game's many obscure mechanical quirks or challenging interface—just compatibility with modern systems (Mac included), integration with the network formerly known as Battle.net (timely rebranding, no?), automatic matchmaking, and better observer/replay features.

It also just occurred to me that whatever the price point, I'll be able to pay for it with my cashed-out WoW gold.

Mandoric

Banned
So can anyone here read Korean?

K->J (much more reliable than K->E but not perfect) highlights;

"Starcraft Remaster announced this afternoon

Starcraft Remaster (working title: Starcraft HD)
Improved windowed mode
Improved graphics
Improved Bnet
Many bugs and errors fixed
Balance patch

Above confirmed

Below rumored:
Terran:
Repair speed reduced
Scan cost increased
Turret price increased
Mine count 3->1
SCV health 60->45
(something about siege tanks that doesn't come through)
Building offset removed

Zerg
Adrenaline attack speed reduced
Dark worm (?) duration reduced
Prey (?) damage reduced

Protoss
Dragoon AI enhanced
Reaper Scarab accuracy increased
Scout price reduced"

The images are from the mod, but the article is not about the mod.

Syf

Banned
K->J (much more reliable than K->E but not perfect) highlights;

"Starcraft Remaster announced this afternoon

Starcraft Remaster (working title: Starcraft HD)
Improved windowed mode
Improved graphics
Improved Bnet
Many bugs and errors fixed
Balance patch

Above confirmed

Below rumored:
Terran:
Repair speed reduced
Scan cost increased
Turret price increased
Mine count 3->1
SCV health 60->45
(something about siege tanks that doesn't come through)
Building offset removed

Zerg
Adrenaline attack speed reduced
Dark worm (?) duration reduced
Prey (?) damage reduced

Protoss
Dragoon AI enhanced
Reaper Scarab accuracy increased
Scout price reduced"
"Balance patch"

Now I'm scared

Phased

By Improved Bnet I hope they dont implement the garbage that is SC2 BNet. That shit is the most antisocial garbage I've ever seen.

"Balance patch"

Now I'm scared

Actually, if it's a commitment to active long-term maintenance, this is a good thing.

BW may have been on the current patch for an eternity, but that doesn't mean even the pro players think the racial balance is perfect, just stable. As long as the changes don't lower the mechanical skill ceiling, balance patches are fine.

Syf

Banned
Actually, if it's a commitment to active long-term maintenance, this is a good thing.

BW may have been on the current patch for an eternity, but that doesn't mean even the pro players think the racial balance is perfect, just stable. As long as the changes don't lower the mechanical skill ceiling, balance patches are fine.
Yeah. I just.. too much experience with David Kim balance. Though that's gotten better in recent years.

I guess after years of SC2 I don't trust them not to fuck things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom