• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morgan Stanley raises Battlefield 1 sales estimate to 15M; Titanfall 2 4 million

I seen TF2 as low as 25 bucks weeks after launch and still couldn't bring myself to buy it. after playing the beta I was so upset with what they did to it i lost all interest

Everyone knows Electronic Arts sent Titanfall 2 out to die with its release date. It would have sold a lot better coming out in February or March of this year

Duxxy3

Fucking shame that EA released Titanfall 2 right in between BF1 and IW.

Would have sold much larger numbers if were released in first quarter of this year instead.

Absolutely incredible game.

Kill3r7

Everyone knows Electronic Arts sent Titanfall 2 out to die with its release date. It would have sold a lot better coming out in February or March of this year

People keep saying this as though it is fact but thankfully we will see how well some of the spring releases perform this year.

I think the sale argument is a valid one but there not many IPs that can move 4 million units even if selling at half price. Deus Ex MD was on sale for $15 dollars at different points during the holiday season and it did not sell anywhere close to TF2.

No doubt and I'm not trying to say its the end of the world or anything, just that a big reason its been able to sell what it has is due to heavy discounting. 4 million still isn't anything to just brush off though.

Damn did Dishonored 2 completely bomb?

By all indications yes.

Beaulieu

People that don't understand how 4 millions is a flop have no idea the production and marketing budget these games have.

A game like Titanfall 2 easily would have to sell 6-7 millions full price copies to break even

noshten

People that don't understand how 4 millions is a flop have no idea the production and marketing budget these games have.

A game like Titanfall 2 easily would have to sell 6-7 millions full price copies to break even

I didn't know we had someone involved with the marketing or development of TF2. Please enlighten us about the budgets so we can better discuss this matter.

Considering the first sold majority of copies at discount what makes TF2 different? The original was released there wasn't much more to play on your shinny new Xbox but that would not be the case for the sequel - so they banked on keeping the online community going via holiday sales.

Anecdotally 3 million of those 4 million sales are sold at a 50% discounted rate globally.

Not just in US for Black Friday, but EA pretty much had wholesale discounts for Titanfall 2 within weeks of launch by 50%.

So in monetary terms, their profit is only that of a game that sold 2+ million.

Titanfall 2 marketing was less than the first game imho. Not sure about the development costs, but I doubt the game needs north of 5m units to break even

Problem is more the low number of units at full price

mlclmtckr

Banned
I haven't tried BF1 but Titanfall 2 has an amazing campaign and the best FPS multiplayer in like five years. Everyone should play it.

Titanfall 2 marketing was less than the first game imho. Not sure about the development costs, but I doubt the game needs north of 5m units to break even

Problem is more the low number of units at full price

Well it may have been less but they didnt have Microsoft to cover a ton of those expenses this time around.

deoee

Oh also if you haven't try the multiplayer and if you don't have it, buy the game.

The Pc numbers could use a boost but it seems Pc players have no interest in this type of games anymore :(

Chris1

4M isn't that good considering the inclusion of PS4 IMO. Still half of what it's done on Xbox/Origin (I know that was out longer and had deeper discounts when we got the 7M sales figure, but still).

How much should be we looking at for lifetime sales? I want to say about 8M again but I don't know if that's too high since it's already been on a deep discount.

Jigorath

Banned

So you're saying Titanfall 2 needs $360 million in revenue to break even.

Really

Well thanks for educating us.

Chris1

So you're saying Titanfall 2 needs $360 million in revenue to break even.

Really

Well thanks for educating us.

Don't forget to take out Platformer, retailer, shipping/disc costs, etc. Out of that $360M EA will probably only see like 100M of it

But yeah, Titanfall has probably profited already for EA

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Did my part and bought both.

These past few months have been phenomenal for quality games.

Raide

Need more TitanFall 2 sales! More people need to play the awesome SP and the amazing MP. Also looking forward to a resurgence of BF1 and TF2 once Scorpio gets shown off.

How are Doom's sales looking vs TF2?

Within striking distance, for sure.

4 million is abject failure for Titanfall 2, there's no getting around it. They barely surpassed the sales of the first game, which was an exclusive.

EA's internal forecast was around 10 million.

why was this bumped

Top Bottom