• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1-3: I Wanna See The Tapes

Iced

I'm a huge fan of behind-the-scenes stuff when it comes to video games, and the Mortal Kombat series - particularly the original trilogy - has always had me the most intrigued, particularly because the character animation is made up from live action footage and, at least in the case of MK1, shot to video tape:

https://youtu.be/VG0x7f4BkQY

Near as I can tell, this is the only video out there showing a recording session for any of the games. It shows Daniel Pesina and Richard Divizio recording for Johnny Cage and Kano respectively, for Mortal Kombat 1.

And dammit, I want more. Does anyone know if any other footage like this exists for MK1, MK2, or MK3? Not just snippets from behind-the-scenes featurettes, but full sessions? Kinda hoping some MK devs read Neogaf and might read this...

Edit: Daniel Pesina has been posting small clips to Facebook/Vine from MK1. Great stuff! https://vine.co/u/971509970346655744 Thanks to Manu for pointing this out.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I remember this actors became pseudo-celebs for us as kids.

Motherfuckers don't wanna mess with Ho Sung Pak.

Manu

I remember this actors became pseudo-celebs for us as kids.

Motherfuckers don't wanna mess with Ho Sung Pak.

As kids? You should see Daniel Pesina's following on Facebook. He embraced it too.

He reguarly posts short videos from the making of the games.

Iced

As kids? You should see Daniel Pesina's following on Facebook. He embraced it too.

He reguarly posts short videos from the making of the games.

Awesome! Thanks for pointing this out! Updated the OP with a link to Daniel's Vine account.

Best Kano

latest

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was thankful to have an Aladdin's Castle at the mall I frequented. I got to play MK1-3 at their respectful launches. I'd get like $2-$5 and stay there while my folks did whatever they had to do. I got a lot of experience in the arcade because of that.

I'd go out of town, eat at places like Casa Bonita and they would have a MK3 machine. It was always interesting seeing the graphics because they were some of the best in the arcade. I remember MK being a great segway into Killer Instinct.

I did not get to play a lot of kids my age in MK. I played with older people. I even wrote down fatalities for MK2 because I asked a person who performed it on me what it was. It appealed to a lot of people.

It's interesting seeing MK run on all those CRT monitors.

Ronabo

I'd love to see the footage Naughty Dog filmed for Way of the Warrior. I remember they filmed it in one of the guys apartments and it was so small they had to put the camera in the hall way to get the shots.

Plus the studio lights made it hot as hell.

Top Bottom