• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 GamePlay Revealed | Summer Game Fest

Soodanim

Looks really fun, I can't wait to not buy it because of Netherrealm's excessive moneygrabbing ways.

I'll just YouTube the story until it's on sale

If you only watched the SGF stream and didn't watch the 4K gameplay that's been shown over the last day or so you are doing yourself a disservice. Just look at Johnny Cage's house, if this were MK11 the sky, ocean and hills would all be one flat painting, in this game they are actually modeled out with traffic running down roads deep into the background, boats moving in the water and the sea foam slowly washing up on the beaches that way off in the distance. The character models are also very detailed with very high quality textures and the effects for the projectiles look great too. Uncaged Games, Gamespot and IGN all have high quality footage to watch.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I still despise the "x-ray damage view" thing in gaming with a passion, truly one of the stupidest innovations that needs to die

Its cool in the beginning but gets old fast... its basically "well this game is about fatalitys so lets put then midfight as well" ... personally I think that it's disruptive and stops the flow of the fight. And takes a little away from the final act (the fatalitys) , maybe if it was a final strike blow in the fight as a ongoing type of finish that you can use instead of the fatality, it would make much more sense, like a first round finish

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

itdUAPs.jpg

BTtel9P.jpg

Q8d7csh.jpg

About.

God.

Damn.

Time.

8JvhVC3.jpg

Nickolaidas

What kinda narcotics are the people on that say this looks "worse than Mk11"?
When I first saw the trailer, I was disappointed in the visuals, because I expected a jump equal to MK11 from MKX. Instead we got 1/3 of that jump.

The visuals are gorgeous, it's just that they are not as good as I expected them to be.

Once that initial shock passed, and when I saw the trailer at 4K, I was much more positive towards the aesthetics.b

Hot5pur

Can't imagine MK fans won't enjoy this. Definitely more of a refinement of 11 than a brand new game, but it looks like the variations and the resource bars are simplified? That's good.

I think the animation is fine but the floaty nature of the combat is not my cup of tea. Also the characters look quite generic and not particularly expressive. Compare it with something like SF6 and the characters in MK1 lack any sort of charisma. It's trying to go for this colorful but realistic look and I'm not sure it's working. The staged look great and the graphics look good, but something about the aesthetic overall makes it look forgettable and you could even put a cut down version of this on mobile and it would fit. Also don't enjoy fatalities, maybe getting old but it's weird to enjoy people getting ripped to shreds.

sigmaZ

Can't imagine MK fans won't enjoy this. Definitely more of a refinement of 11 than a brand new game, but it looks like the variations and the resource bars are simplified? That's good.

I think the animation is fine but the floaty nature of the combat is not my cup of tea. Also the characters look quite generic and not particularly expressive. Compare it with something like SF6 and the characters in MK1 lack any sort of charisma. It's trying to go for this colorful but realistic look and I'm not sure it's working. The staged look great and the graphics look good, but something about the aesthetic overall makes it look forgettable and you could even put a cut down version of this on mobile and it would fit. Also don't enjoy fatalities, maybe getting old but it's weird to enjoy people getting ripped to shreds.
SF6 character designs look like garbage too. imo

SJRB

Gold Member

26 minutes of raw footage from our boy Jeff Gerstmann.

I'm still amazed at how beautiful this game looks. Those backgrounds man, pristine.

Not really feeling the kameo system. The idea is good but they are on screen a lot. They even have their own fatalities, wtf.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I've got a soft spot for MK since I grew up with it. I personally feel like they peaked with MK9 in every possible way, and then it went downhill with X. Then slightly back up with 11, and so far 1 is looking like another bump up to me personally. I'm hoping it delivers across the board, cause it'd be awesome to get a great Street Fighter, Tekken (assuming its 2023), and Mortal Kombat all in the same year.

A lot of people are saying it looks so much like 11, etc. Visually, sure, I can see that, but the backgrounds DO look busier and nicer. So I think that says quite a bit. But gameplay-wise, it looks faster, more combo focused, and almost less stiff like MK9. I know Fox played it and said that a lot of it feels like MK9 and vibes with it. That alone got me hyped.

Top Bottom