• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 - Official Keepers of Time Trailer

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Yo....that fatality at 2:31*

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gameplay looks fucking SICK, the fatalities are fucking SICK, the art style shows his idyllic world falling as expected and it looks fucking SICK

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man this game is looking awesome. Love Lui Kang’s fatality in this trailer.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Good god not this mother fucker again. Dude was oppressive and was a chore to fight against.

Probably first MK ever I don’t play sub zero as my main. Liu Kang looks so sick I at least need to try to main him at the release .

Aces High

That art style and the beauty of the game world make the fatalities look childish and out of place. Like they got that vision of a new Mortal Kombat, but they somehow had to squeeze the brutality in to check it off.

It's hard to describe. With the new overall tone of the new game, the brutality and the finishers just don't feel organic anymore. They feel stupid. In MK1 (the real one) there were evil tribal sounds and blood red UI elements. The tension and atmosphere of the game were hypnotizing. When you fired up the game for the first time and heard this music, you knew that shit was about to get serious:

MK1 (the new one) is lacking this atmosphere. On a technical level, it's impressive. It's going to be the best looking fighting game when it releases. But man do these trailers lack soul. Even the choice of style of music is different every time.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Nice .. it’s not really a reboot then.
It's a soft reboot in the same way the other Mortal Kombat (1) was. It's not like they pretended it was a hard reboot with all new characters then pulled the ol' bait and switch, Liu Kang pressed the "Reset+Remix" button just like Raiden did as shown in trailer 1.

It was always going to go wrong, because otherwise it would have been a trailer for Animal Krossing.

Rheon

That art style and the beauty of the game world make the fatalities look childish and out of place. Like they got that vision of a new Mortal Kombat, but they somehow had to squeeze the brutality in to check it off.

It's hard to describe. With the new overall tone of the new game, the brutality and the finishers just don't feel organic anymore. They feel stupid. In MK1 (the real one) there were evil tribal sounds and blood red UI elements. The tension and atmosphere of the game were hypnotizing. When you fired up the game for the first time and heard this music, you knew that shit was about to get serious:

MK1 (the new one) is lacking this atmosphere. On a technical level, it's impressive. It's going to be the best looking fighting game when it releases. But man do these trailers lack soul. Even the choice of style of music is different every time.

This is exactly what I've been saying. Technically, the game looks great. But in terms of art direction and atmosphere, it just feels so goddamn soulless and not at all what I would expect MK to be like.

And before anyone comes at me with the 'it's a reboot, blah blah blah', I don't care.

Also, am I the only one that's finding fatalities harder to watch? They felt easier to watch when they had a more comedic and campy feel.

Dice

You think this will be alright on a 6700 XT compared to a Series X? In a lot of things my PC is better but fighting games are such a controlled environment that devs can really optimize a lot on console. It's a problem when they don't *cough*xboxtekken7*cough* but sometimes it's really better. I think I heard something about load times being much better on PC for MK11 and then of course the fatalities could also be 60fps. Don't know what the situation is for this one.

You think this will be alright on a 6700 XT compared to a Series X? In a lot of things my PC is better but fighting games are such a controlled environment that devs can really optimize a lot on console. It's a problem when they don't *cough*xboxtekken7*cough* but sometimes it's really better. I think I heard something about load times being much better on PC for MK11 and then of course the fatalities could also be 60fps. Don't know what the situation is for this one.
Yeah, would be. Combat is 60 fps, cut-scenes 30 fps. This game is not demanding at all. BUT I would go with consoles because of cross-play and other stuff.

I don’t know if MK11 on PC is alright or not, but netherrealm is notorious for bad PC ports. Their Xbox and PS versions are always fine and basically have 1/1 parity with each other. I would go with console.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Opinion? The fighting game genre is tough, you have to consider street fighter, and tekken are #1 and #1a today, mortal kombat going back to “1” doesn’t help things but I think their strong characters, and rich history they’ll lean on will help.

Finish Him Mortal Kombat GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The game looks very well made. I’m not digging the combat. It looks more like a Hyper version of XI. It’s not grounded at all. Plus I don’t want to memorize a 100+ moves and combos. I’ve got enough combos in my mind. I’ll watch for impressions, but I feel like I’d waste my time and money. I’ve got more headspace for Tekken/SF.

MiguelItUp

Still hyped for the game for the campaign alone, but yeah, it's just not pulling me in for whatever reason. Can't help but assume the PC port will be awful, just like 11 and X were, but hopefully that will change. Watching it in action it really does look like it plays like 11.5, which doesn't get me excited. It also just feels like... something is missing, and I can't pinpoint what it is...

nkarafo

Ι really don't like the tone of these MK games.

They feel like something out of a mainstream Avengers movie made for casual teens. Lots of characters with fancy cosplay outfits that find ways to fight each other. But at the same time it has this cartoony violence which is extremely gory but at the same time cartoony so it doesn't really look very shocking at all.

Sure, you could make a similar case for older MK games but those had a darker atmosphere (MK II felt right) and they didn't have those silly story modes.

Dice

The game looks very well made. I’m not digging the combat. It looks more like a Hyper version of XI. It’s not grounded at all. Plus I don’t want to memorize a 100+ moves and combos. I’ve got enough combos in my mind. I’ll watch for impressions, but I feel like I’d waste my time and money. I’ve got more headspace for Tekken/SF.
Yeah attack strings are essential to MK. If you play SF I can maybe understand also picking up MK but Tekken is too close to being the same way as MK where you have to memorize hundreds of things. Someone could maybe bounce around if they grew up with and stayed with all of them but otherwise I think you kinda have to choose one as what you're gonna be about and appreciate the others from afar.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Ι really don't like the tone of these MK games.

They feel like something out of a mainstream Avengers movie made for casual teens. Lots of characters with fancy cosplay outfits that find ways to fight each other. But at the same time it has this cartoony violence which is extremely gory but at the same time cartoony so it doesn't really look very shocking at all.

Sure, you could make a similar case for older MK games but those had a darker atmosphere (MK II felt right) and they didn't have those silly story modes.
MK2’s atmosphere is unmatched. It even got a ps1 japanese port lol

IMG-3808.jpg

Such a cool game.

Lupin25

Watching Liu Kang bicycle kick the opponent into oblivion then open up a black hole and shred them to bits is just… perfection.

Last edited:

Nydius

This is exactly what I've been saying. Technically, the game looks great. But in terms of art direction and atmosphere, it just feels so goddamn soulless and not at all what I would expect MK to be like.

I feel like fighting games as a genre are in a weird place, especially for an old fart like myself who grew up with them in the arcades. Back then, they weren't competing against console games, only against each other and they offered a more tightly focused experience because they had to. They had literal seconds to capture the eyes of passers by to entice them to spend their money on their game, so it was a straight forward: Here's our game, here's what makes us different than the other games, here's your battle plan, come get some, and maybe your friend will join in and kick your ass.

But now that arcades are all but dead, they're competing against every other console game out there so they've had to expand, tacking on bloated story modes and rosters, gimmicky guest fighters, and so on. I played the Street Fighter 6 demo and it made me really interested in a fighting game for the first time in a long time but now that I have the full version I find myself struggling to get into it because the core element of Street Fighter (the character driven fighting mode that made the franchise) feels like it was a distant third in their design plans behind World Tour and Battle Hub where they clearly want people to spend the bulk of their time. Hell, it maybe even fourth, behind monetization.

I tried playing MKX and MK11 because they were both on Game Pass and felt largely the same way. The fighting mechanics are on point but they all feel like they're in service to something else rather than being about the fighting.

Last edited:

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Stoked as hell for this game but I NEED REPTILE TO BE ANNOUNCED STAT! Stop playing with me Ed Booner!

Most new AAA games, esp sequels, seem to lack soul. Good post. Im still hyped for this tho

Im not sure if I read this correctly but supposedly each stage has day/night option. So far what they have showed is 85% catered to light and bright stages which feels so off for MK. MK9 and MK10 looked dark and gritty, this is just too colorful imo for an MK game. I like color but it doesnt have that horror vibe but who knows.

Top Bottom