• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 Players Are Changing the Date on Their Console to Avoid Buying Skins

Spyxos

Gold Member
First, some context. This week Mortal Kombat 1’s already aggressive monetisation sparked yet another backlash after some skins previously available as part of Invasions mode in Season 1 were made available to buy from the in-game store for Dragon Krystals, the game’s premium currency. NetherRealm had previously said players would need to wait for a season to return if they missed its skins, but that appears now not to be the case.

In response, Mortal Kombat 1 players, perhaps inspired by time-manipulating character Geras, found success changing the date on their console to make the Season 1 skins available to unlock for free and, upon reverting their console back to the correct date, brought those skins into the present.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

MiguelItUp

I love this so much, I also love that this works, lmao. A lot of their community feel like they've been lied to. NRS said on stream that if you missed out on seasonal skins that you'd just have to wait until the season comes around to get them, but then they throw them on the store to buy, lmao. I thought MK1 was fine for the first week or so, but then I dropped it with no desire to go back. I'm glad I haven't.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Game should just have a Krypt where you pay ingame currency you acquire by shocker playing the game and unlocking these kinds of rewards. Would keep you playing longer.

They probably removed it so they can wring you out of your money.

This just tells players that the devs don't respect you at all and just want your money.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Game should just have a Krypt where you pay ingame currency you acquire by shocker playing the game and unlocking these kinds of rewards. Would keep you playing longer.

This just tells players that the devs don't respect you at all and just want your money.

NRS turned to shit once WB took over. MK1 was built entirely to support this lame ass gaas model and wont get fixed either.

Unless NRS can be seperated from WB eventually, this is the future of all MK games.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I'd argue that the Krypt was MUCH more interesting than Invasions. Invasions just seems like an easy way for them to "grind more game" out of people. The mode honestly feels like a mobile game. Plus I feel like the experience and the rewards you get from it are so incredibly ho-hum as well. It just feels much lazier in hindsight. They could've made an even better Krypt or something. I have no idea why they decided to go this route, unless it was for money and that's really it.

I really wish we'd stop seeing stuff like this in full priced games. F2P games and everything? Sure, whatever, makes sense they have to make money somehow. But a $70 title? It's gross. I'm over the whole "but they're just cosmetics" response too, because it still encourages them to squeeze more.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Unless NRS can be seperated from WB eventually, this is the future of all MK games.
Honestly the last good MK game is still MK9. It's slowly gone to crap ever since.

----------------

GaaS can be good if implemented correctly as a way to keep the game going. And will only be accepted if the seasons are added in free updates. It's just flatout greed here with no love for their own product. Very sad.

MiguelItUp

Honestly the last good MK game is still MK9. It's slowly gone to crap ever since.

----------------

GaaS can be good if implemented correctly as a way to keep the game going. And will only be accepted if the seasons are added in free updates. It's just flatout greed here with no love for their own product. Very sad.
Agreed. MK9 was probably my favorite MK game period, hell, even the marketing around the game felt stellar compared to the iterations after. It honestly felt like they were going in really hard. It felt like they were really confident about it.

But then WB started becoming WB and began forcing their hand I'm sure, especially with their perspective on GaaS. It's all gross, and a major shame.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
MK1 is big letdown for me. I play 10 and 11 for at least a year but haven’t touched mk1 since launch week. I don’t like how everything is in the invasion mode. Living towers should have remained its own thing.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
God fuck that garbage game and I say that as someone who thinks that MK11 is the best in the franchise. I wanted 12 not this travesty of a poorly animated porridge.

The Invasions mode is TERRIBLE, I barely went through it once. It is so repetative and boring, cant imagine to ever go through all that just to get a special skin. MK1 is my biggest purchase regret this year, after a week I already started losing interest, especially considering this is pretty much Deadly Alliance 2. Even the special skins so far are from DA. But generally, the normal skins are so cheap, MK11 had a lot of different outfits and accesories for each character and they still looked cool. Like what is the point of making my Sub-Zero yellow or Scorpion to be green? Its just a mush of items thrown together.

Unfortunately i dont think this works on xbox. In order to change time you need to go offline but when you go back in the game it will require that online connection and once its back the time goes back to automatic world setup.

Last edited:
I love this game presentation and gameplay, but they are dropping the ball with those bs.
If they not learned from the 12$ fatality, its a lost cause.

Its sad, because MK is so special for me, i really love the series, but what they are doing are unacceptable.

Last edited:
How do you propose we escape GaaS without devs completely sabotaging it?

Not buying things is a great contribution from our side, but we need them too.

All devs have to do is be yes men for just a little bit longer, and then say they could have made a sequel for another $60 instead of being chained to the pass.

Majukun

Are people over twelve buying skins? Does it come with a pacifier also? God damn! Stop buying this crap, and it will end!
technically only ends if you stop buying games with mtx altogether, which at this point is most of the AAA/AA landscape.

this kind of stance needed toi be done much earlier, now the war is lost

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
GaaS can be good if implemented correctly as a way to keep the game going.
GaaS is always at the expense of the artistic quality of the product. Always. A cash shop breaks immersion and locks what would be content that players unlocked through playing behind a paywall. The only thing they need to do to 'keep the game going' is to sell quality paid expansion packs, and leave it at that.

Majormaxxx

One of the best things about games is being able to complete them and move on, or, after time, come back to them for a second pass. GaaS is a poison. The only thing it is good for is the pockets of the investors.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
GaaS is always at the expense of the artistic quality of the product. Always. A cash shop breaks immersion and locks what would be content that players unlocked through playing behind a paywall. The only thing they need to do to 'keep the game going' is to sell quality paid expansion packs, and leave it at that.
And yet Deep Rock Galactic a AA indie game has the superior model. Which is simply "nothing goes away and you can always obtain everything by playing the game" by adding them to find in a lore friendly way. Along with selling cosmetic packs that the devs will always state are completely optional and give no advantages when playing the actual game itself.

So clearly the artistic quality is lacking in MK and they needed a way to compensate so they lied to the people that bought their product. But clearly they didn't test their game and players found a loophole by turning back the clock.

Gamers: 1

Devs: 0

Top Bottom