• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 IOTI Rip out your beating heart!

Nymphae

Banned
To be honest the only time we drink excessively is when we game.

But yeah we get through a bottle of JD and a bottle of Fireball a week easily.

I don't drink very much at all, but occasionally I do enjoy some Fireball. I love the old bottles, had a really hard time tracking one of these down a few years ago for my modest booze shelf.

X3NH6hU.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
First impressions are not that great. Over half finished with the story mode and a trip through classic tower so far. Something about the gameplay feels regressive-it’s slower and reminds me of the old MK games

I feel like if they speed up the kombat, the worse casuals/fans/beginners have it. Speed it up and you're dealing with 10 second matches where the opponent didn't even have a chance to move. It probably happens in MK11, but regardless. Mortal Kombat 2 is what I was thinking about. It isn't limited to 1-2 hit combos, but you can punish someone whose BnB is one huge 18-20 hit combo that takes 75% of your health.

The 90's was when fighting games were the craze at arcades. It brought people to the arcades. Now a days the full bar combo strings and congesting someone into a life draining combo are getting old if you ask me. If you invite someone to participate in a fighting game and you're always rushing them or keeping them in a combo loops. How much fun will they have? I see the bad side to it. Not being able to deliver combos you want to. I see the point in having a faster rush down game too.

The bounce in MK9/10/Injustice looked crazy at times. It was like you sent someone to the "pit" of a combo string.

Street Fighter IV brought players back by bringing the fundamentals of Street Fighter II back. I remember seeing more random people play it at an arcade up here (running on 360 with a coin slot) than I did seeing people play other fighting games. Maybe its a way to bring MK back for players versus giving them something that only skilled, regular players dominate. Who wants to play Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Ultimate with someone who does a full life combo on you the moment you wake up. Don't get me wrong, you have to lose to get better. You have to know defeat to be a pro, but a lot of Mortal Kombat fans are probably not looking to go to EVO or an MK league either.

Last edited:

First impressions are not that great. Over half finished with the story mode and a trip through classic tower so far. Something about the gameplay feels regressive-it’s slower and reminds me of the old MK games-which gives it more of a dated feel. The music is there, nothing special. The stages are pretty bland for the most part, not a whole lot going on in most of them that I have seen. If I were to compare it to Injustice 2, I think that it isn’t as good all the way around, which is disappointing. Knowing what I know now- I wouldn’t have wasted my money.

Fatal moves feel like a mistake. Amplified moves do as well. They just seem like a cheap way to keep matches closer. I don’t want to watch a 10 second cinematic in the middle of a fight, it screws with the flow of the match.

They did say it is slower this time around, with the differences in the meters and xrays at low health they are trying to encourage more strategy than before. Ive only played one tower with a keyboard, will have to play at home properly.

Dev1lXYZ

I feel like if they speed up the kombat, the worse casuals/fans/beginners have it. Speed it up and you're dealing with 10 second matches where the opponent didn't even have a chance to move. It probably happens in MK11, but regardless. Mortal Kombat 2 is what I was thinking about. It isn't limited to 1-2 hit combos, but you can punish someone whose BnB is one huge 18-20 hit combo that takes 75% of your health.

The 90's was when fighting games were the craze at arcades. It brought people to the arcades. Now a days the full bar combo strings and congesting someone into a life draining combo are getting old if you ask me. If you invite someone to participate in a fighting game and you're always rushing them or keeping them in a combo loops. How much fun will they have? I see the bad side to it. Not being able to deliver combos you want to. I see the point in having a faster rush down game too.

The bounce in MK9/10/Injustice looked crazy at times. It was like you sent someone to the "pit" of a combo string.

Street Fighter IV brought players back by bringing the fundamentals of Street Fighter II back. I remember seeing more random people play it at an arcade up here (running on 360 with a coin slot) than I did seeing people play other fighting games. Maybe its a way to bring MK back for players versus giving them something that only skilled, regular players dominate. Who wants to play Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Ultimate with someone who does a full life combo on you the moment you wake up. Don't get me wrong, you have to lose to get better. You have to know defeat to be a pro, but a lot of Mortal Kombat fans are probably not looking to go to EVO or an MK league either.

The combo strings are still very much there. After playing it some more, here is what I have found: when you combo, the game seems to literally speed up for the comboing character. While this is nothing exactly new to fighting games, this game seems to drop animation frames during combos! I really noticed it in a Jax vs Jax match single player. I layed into the CPU with a combo and was thinking that it didn’t look right. I did it again and again very easily and determined that normal type moves give full frames of animation, while during a combo, it drops a few frames and looks pretty funny.

Is this game accessible to total newbies? I guess if you are playing with total newbies and want to jump around pushing buttons then sure-but if the number ‘11’ doesn’t scare them off, then the special move motions probably will. I don’t see MK really drawing in any new fans, it’s mostly catering to fans that have been into it for years.

As someone who has played every MK since the first was released, this game is a disappointment. It’s just nothing really new and exciting is being presented in the package. They just went down the checklist and made a cookie cutter MK game. If you love MK, then great, it’s more of the same. Is it worth $60? Unless you have a cadre of friends to play it with, then no. The single player has already been done in the past two iterations and better in Injustice 2. It’ll be cheap by Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
I've always liked mortal Kombat but it's actually never been my favorite cider do to the simplicity and choppy movements. But I always have had fun with MK games. So far about 3 hours in, this iteration is ranking up there as my favorite. the gameplay feels familiar, yet with so many new moves and mechanics, feels like so much new things to master. Other fighting games should take note, this is how sequels should feel. Take a game like DOA 6 for example, one I really enjoy, but not much has changed in terms of movesets from DOA 5. Mk11 is almost overwhelming and terms of all the customization and new moves and systems to master and obtain. Add on story mode that puts the MK movies to shame with seamless transitions two fights on top of some beautiful graphics on the X One X,,. And I am super happy about my purchase.

If you are into fighting games or mortal Kombat in general this is a must own

Good god the game looks insane on X1X!
Good god the game looks insane on base PS4!

Still I'm overwhelmed by combos and this fighting system but liking it so far. To be honest I'm most excited about the story!
Tutorials are excellent done with these timings icons when to follow up and dualshock button prompts how to do them properly etc

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Good god the game looks insane on base PS4!

Still I'm overwhelmed by combos and this fighting system but liking it so far. To be honest I'm most excited about the story!
What’s with the combos? They’re easy to execute with a bit of practice. I’m hooked with the story since I started playing. Chapter 6 now

Ed Boon slightly further elebarates on yesterdays kombat cast. Towers of time difficulty is going to be addressed.

Cross fingers for honesty!

Last edited:

AddiF

This game is drop dead (pun intended) gorgeous on X1X on OLED display. Holy jeepers. Textures, scenery, charcter models. Just everything pops. Amazing. I also like the cutscenes in the story mode. They feel more alive.

tkscz

Man, the story ending was... anti-climatic. Like, really anti-climatic. Also how the hell do you reboot the timeline right after rebooting the timeline?

As for the Switch version, the graphics are honestly passable. They aren't close to the other versions, but they aren't an eyestrain or anything

However there was something weird I noticed. Whenever the prerendered cutscenes ended, the fighting area and characters will be a really low resolution, but right as it says "FIGHT" and flashes, the resolution bumps way up and stays that way. The hell was that all about?

Story fucking rocks so far.

Liu Kang alive again is just right, stop fucking killing him off.

Umm spoilers there bro.

So I will say there are some very strange difficulty spikes in the game. Also TAA support is an awful blurry mess.

Dev1lXYZ

This game is drop dead (pun intended) gorgeous on X1X on OLED display. Holy jeepers. Textures, scenery, charcter models. Just everything pops. Amazing. I also like the cutscenes in the story mode. They feel more alive.

They did a good job on the graphics, The HDR really pops in some stages, like the ship at sea with the sun in the background.

Dev1lXYZ

Don’t get your hopes up for the ending of story mode.

Did they run out of time or budget?

It’s literally 20 seconds and then credits.

At least the last boss basically required me to combo the cheapness.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Also TAA support is an awful blurry mess.
Yeah. I feel it was unnecessary. 4k is good enough that motion in itself works as a sort of AA. You especially notice the blurry TAA on the character edit screen when you have them stationary them rotate them. Having that kind of AA and certain kinds of motion blur effects just waste the processing power required to make a game run 4k.

tkscz

Don’t get your hopes up for the ending of story mode.

Did they run out of time or budget>

I had my hopes up and it dashed them quite so. Though MK still has the best fighting game story of all time. It's good, it isn't convoluted as shit, it follows all characters, not just like four characters and tosses the rest around randomly.

Still Completely resetting a timeline that was already reset kind of removes any investment you can have. Like, why should I care for any of the events if you just made them null anyway? A better way would've been to have FGLK stop Khronica and revert time back to when they invade the island and stop Khronica. Then continue from there. Liu Kang exist outside the timeline, but his new found powers will allow him to heal his fallen friends. The current ending leaves you very empty and unfulfilled.

Yeah. I feel it was unnecessary. 4k is good enough that motion in itself works as a sort of AA. You especially notice the blurry TAA on the character edit screen when you have them stationary them rotate them. Having that kind of AA and certain kinds of motion blur effects just waste the processing power required to make a game run 4k.

I’m going to play with reshade’s sharpening filter to see if I can clean it up like I did re2.

Saw a post on reddit complaining about the switch port because NR said it had the same content of the other versions and people are saying that character lessons along with some other stuff is missing.

The shitshow of switch ports never stops.
dead.png

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

I had my hopes up and it dashed them quite so. Though MK still has the best fighting game story of all time. It's good, it isn't convoluted as shit, it follows all characters, not just like four characters and tosses the rest around randomly.

Enter the Dragon as a template only gets you so far before things get convoluted. MK1 and MK2 had decent storylines, MK3 was where it got stupid. It repeated itself with MKIX and X and got a bit stupid with XI. So next time, maybe they do two games and then move on to using like Game of Death or Fist of Fury as a template. It could work if they do it right!

waylo

Banned
Caved and grabbed this off GMG for $45.

Played for roughly an hour so far and it has crashed to desktop twice. Once while browsing costumes and once while loading into the Krypt.

Also, TAA looks like garbage. It introduces some weird shimmering. Hopefully they get that fixed in a patch.

mushy45

Saw a post on reddit complaining about the switch port because NR said it had the same content of the other versions and people are saying that character lessons along with some other stuff is missing.

The shitshow of switch ports never stops.
dead.png

just picked up the switch version....... 16 GB patch still waiting oh its $49.99 at walmart

waylo

Banned
pc impressions yet?
Aside from two crashes, it's running fine completely maxed out at 1440p with a 4790k/2060/16GB setup (using only FXAA though without TAA as TAA has some weird artifacting/shimmering). I do hope they fix that though as just FXAA doesn't do the best job of removing aliasing.

Running around in the Krypt at 30FPS is headache inducing however.

Last edited:

Ok so on the PC version. Turn off AA and Motion Blur in the game. Install Reshade and enable SMAA and Adaptive Sharpening. It looks way better. The character models no longer look blurry.

waylo

Banned
Ok so on the PC version. Turn off AA and Motion Blur in the game. Install Reshade and enable SMAA and Adaptive Sharpening. It looks way better. The character models no longer look blurry.
I'll have to try this. I turned off TAA but kept FXAA on. Are you using a combo of the in-game FXAA and SMAA, or just SMAA?

I'll have to try this. I turned off TAA but kept FXAA on. Are you using a combo of the in-game FXAA and SMAA, or just SMAA?

I did leave fxaa on since it’s cheap. Adding smaa and the sharpening filter made a big difference just like it did in RE2 recently.

Man the towers of time have some crazy weird difficulty spikes. I haven’t used any modifiers short of the forced ones in the tutorial. I’ve been able to overcome all of the fights so far but the AI goes from not doing anything to massively punishing you. All for some measly koins. I really hope they even things out a bit more.

waylo

Banned
So I did the Reshade thing to add SMAA and Adaptive Sharpening. Game looks much better. Still not perfect, but during gameplay edges look a lot better. Think I may take it a step further and try playing at 4K to really smooth out the image.

Anyone know if PC has the new patch they mentioned adjusting the earn rate of currency and the difficulty of towers? I saw some posts online earlier saying that PC hadn't received the update yet.

Last edited:

So I did the Reshade thing to add SMAA and Adaptive Sharpening. Game looks much better. Still not perfect, but during gameplay edges look a lot better. Think I may take it a step further and try playing at 4K to really smooth out the image.

Anyone know if PC has the new patch they mentioned adjusting the earn rate of currency and the difficulty of towers? I saw some posts online earlier saying that PC hadn't received the update yet.

They have not released that update yet that I have seen. Was just looking it up and I don’t see any announcement on it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Finally played it on my Switch... I LOVE IT!

Yeah, it's not as detailed as the other versions but I played online against someone (first time), played some of the story mode... It looks GREAT for a Switch game! I knew what I was getting into by getting a Switch and this game exceeds my expectations!

I'm glad I bought it!

Do you guys also feel the fatal moves are a bit dark, like literally dark. It's difficult to clearly see what's happening. It's like you take a picture of someone thats standing in front of a bright light source, that person will also be dark.
I'm playing with HDR on, I turnid it of to see the difference but it's still dark withouth HDR.

Do you guys also feel the fatal moves are a bit dark, like literally dark. It's difficult to clearly see what's happening. It's like you take a picture of someone thats standing in front of a bright light source, that person will also be dark.
I'm playing with HDR on, I turnid it of to see the difference but it's still dark withouth HDR.

Not at all. Sounds like you need to check brightness levels etc on your monitor and software. There’s been some awesome shadowing and dark areas but I never felt they were too dark to see.

DR2K

Banned
They added some fixes to towers to remove a lot of the unfair bullshit. No more enemy HP sponges, less bs with assists. I’m saying less, but these problems are still here and likely to remerge if left neglected.

Some challenges are still fucking stupid and busted, the AI is legit still reading your inputs and reacting within the first frame of disadvantage. With zero variance in so logic or variety. Keeping in mind this is the “normal” mode.

Progression and rewards are still trash.

Reactions: 888
Top Bottom