• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat VIII to be an MMORPG?

fernoca

Well, the April 2007 issue of the Official Xbox Magazine, under the Rumor Mole section; says that the next Mortal Kombat game is going to be an MMORPG(i.e. like World of Warcraft)..

First things first...
April Issue = April's Fools = Joke? So who knows...

On the other hand, last year Ed Boon said during the annual Fight Night chat:

[00:04:44] <+Ed-Boon> MK8 is going to start from scratch on a number of levels. It will also go in a direction that NOBODY is going to expect.
[00:05:41] <+Ed-Boon> When you first hear about what the game is going to be doing you will say "WHAT?...did I hear you right?"

Then, earlier this year he said on Game Informer:
Visually, that’s what we want to do. Gameplay-wise, I kind of attribute it to what we did with Deadly Alliance, where everything is thrown out. We’re not going to have three fighting styles, we’re not going to have the same punches and kicks and the same kind of control scheme. Everything is getting trashed. We’re reinventing everything from the ground up. We really think that’s needed—you know, we’re on Mortal Kombat 8, in a sense—to kind of wipe the slate clean every once in a while, and I kind of feel that now is the time. Our visual presentation and our game presentation and our thing that you’ll hear about very soon are all going to be new to this game. It’s going to be nothing like you’ve ever seen before.

So, at this moment...who knows...hehehehe.

I do remember one crazy rumor, about the game being LIKE an MMORPG. The rumor was about the concept of you creating your own character, then you used that character to train around a realm, meeting other fighters (players), training, fighting, getting experience and at some points, the ruler of that realm was going to start some small tournaments, which you fight with other people online and try to qualify; since the best positions will enter the official MK tournament. The losers stay training, and acquiring experience and doing missions.

Only time will tell, as always....after all, it coudl be just a new fighting game with some new gameplay mechanics...

luffeN

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

what the hell!!!!!!! :(

i mean, there isnt any mmo with a universe im interested in, so this might get me started... but pls DONT !

hopes for aprils fools

I wish they would remove the funky combos to get the finishing moves. I'd rather it be the reward for finishing the fight rather than how quickly I can hit some combo.

fernoca

Yep, that was kinda interesting..the old rumor also talked about, depending on the character you created and some other misc. things (like answers to some questions), you were going to be set on an specific realm (server): Earthrealm, Netherrealm, Zaterra, Outworld, Edenia, etc.

Beaulieu

HocusPocus said:
I wish they would remove the funky combos to get the finishing moves. I'd rather it be the reward for finishing the fight rather than how quickly I can hit some combo.

You, my friend, are clearly drunk.

And a Mortal Kombat MMORPG could be really cool! (if it's free of course)

Speevy

Banned
261457181_83009a8652_o.jpg

Fatality.

Bloodwake

90% an April Fools joke

10%... hey, this could be a good idea if done correctly. Level up by defeating other players in PVP and maybe some Shaolin Monks thrown in there, and unlock new moves/fatalities as you level.

And, you could do create a character as well. It could be EXTREMELY customizable, a la City of Heroes/Villains.

More than likely though, April Fool's Joke.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch from the Conquest mode in the last two MK games. In my opinion it was the exploration aspect of Deception that really drove my interest and kept me playing for a while.

Helzown

I don't think they mean MMO, in fact I highly doubt it. Midway isn't quite that stupid. Man I hope I'm not overestimating them.

R0nn

They should've killed this franchise after UMK3, honestly.

It was cool back then. Nowadays it's way too cheesy for it's own good and reeks too much of mediocre design.

The only reason why this is still going is because of a loyal fanbase with nostalgic glasses on and because of the brand recognition it built up back in the 16 bit days for it's gore.

Well, that's how I see it at least. Haven't been satisified with any of the 3D iterations (so basically everything after the original trilogy). Basically every other big fighting game franchise has trumped it in almost every way (both 2D and 3D).

fernoca

Ehr..for reference:
Mortal Kombat IV = Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat V = Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Mortal Kombat VI = Mortal Kombat: Deception
Mortal Kombat VII = Mortal Kombat: Armageddon

Mortal Kombat Online....
World of Mortal Kombat...
Mortal Kombat Universe...

Ahh forget trying to guess the name. I expect perma-death with fatalities and lots and lots of crying over players being cheap with chars using freeze + scorpion spear + shao khan's hammer.

I swear it's an april fools joke

For some reason watching the first Mortal Kombat movie when I was a kid...The fight with Reptile...And then Scorpion. Always made me imagine a huge free roaming Mortal Kombat where people just fight endlessly. Not saying it's a good idea for a game it was just something I thought about as a kid.

Snaku

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Yeah... if this is true (which I highly doubt) then developers need to get a grip, every game can't be an MMO.

Seriously. Everyone that thinks their game is gonna be the next WoW is delusional. The next WoW is gonna come from Blizzard, and your game will hover in the 50-150k subscriber base for a year or two and die if it's lucky.

Top Bottom