• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mosso 'cloud hosting' for web apps - anyone used them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
These guys are relatively new on the block, but their offering sounds quite interesting.

http://www.mosso.com/

Basically, they claim to take your website, and then from $100/month they'll take care of all the scaling up you'll ever need. They manage all the server side stuff, you just literally put up your application, and they'll make it scale well.

The first $100 gets you 50GB of storage, 500GB/month of BW and 3 million 'requests' per month. Thereafter it's 25¢ per GB of storage, 50¢ per GB of bandwidth, and 3¢ per 1,000 requests.

They're new, but they're a subsidiary of, and backed by, Rackspace.

It all sounds a bit too good to be true, so I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions and better yet, and hands-on experience with them? I know we have some web developers here, and some managers of big sites, so I'd be curious for any thoughts.

I'm looking to launch a web app soon, and while it'll start small as every one does, it'd be nice to never have to think about scalability again if it does grow larger.

h1nch

Whether Mosso is a good fit for you or not depends on what you're trying to do. If you have a fairly standard web app that doesn't require a ton of customization on the server side but needs a platform that can easily scale, then Mosso is probably a good fit for you. You don't get root access to the servers so you wouldn't be able to make configuration changes to the server software the way you would if you were on a dedicated server. I'm not sure if shell access is something they're rolling out in the future. I know that you can hit up their sales people on the phone or on chat and they'd probably be able to tell you more.

I know that in the past Mosso was criticized for poor performance. I believe this was due to them growing so fast and not having enough servers to support their customer base. Lately they've been expanding like crazy so I believe their performance issues have been resolved, but I wouldn't know for sure as I don't have an account with them.

I'd hit up web hosting talk if you haven't already to see what the current opinions are about Mosso.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thanks, I'll read into it a bit more.

But the first impression I get is that it seems a little less mature as a model, and like they're still figuring it all out.

The concept is great, but it doesn't sound like anyone's figured out a bullet-proof, completely reliable implementation.

h1nch

gofreak said:
Thanks, I'll read into it a bit more.

But the first impression I get is that it seems a little less mature as a model, and like they're still figuring it all out.

The concept is great, but it doesn't sound like anyone's figured out a bullet-proof, completely reliable implementation.

Your first impression is correct. You might also want to check out Amazon's EC2 service as well. I'm not sure how well it would fit into what you're trying to do, but the other day I was on their site playing around with potential configurations and the pricing results, especially when compared to the equivalent configuration with a dedicated host, were staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom