• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most bizarre NES/Famicom games?

Noah's_Ark_NES_cover.jpg

There's a sadistically hard, sort of remake of the Takeshi Kitano game called "Challenge from Kiyoshi". It's a little, free indie game for the PC released not too long ago.

Roto13

God, Monster Party. It starts off kind of cute with happy faces everywhere but still a bit off with the legs sticking out of the ground and stuff. Then the trees and stuff start to bleed.

It's like the NES version of Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.
Color a Dinosaur - Flood fill areas with a limited amount of colors/patterns.

With music by Tommy Talarico :p

RoadDogg

Rösti;35821950 said:
How about Baby Boomer, an unlicensed game by the company Color Dreams, Inc., known for other classics such as Bible Adventures and Sunday Funday, as seen reviewed by James Rolfe.

The game utilizes the NES Zapper which you use to protect stray baby Boomer from hazards like cats and dynamite. The goal is to get the baby back to his mother.

68575-baby-boomer-nesk6uqn.png

Gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nxyzrO-rAA

Came to post this. I owned it and always enjoyed it. The later levels get even more crazy.

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa is a pretty standard platformer, except for the part where you play as a baby, you have the oddest jumping arc ever, you hit dudes with a bottle which inflates them, and levels range from being inside a cake to being inside a video game console over a decade before Nuts and Bolts did it.

It's also really fun.

:lol I searched for this too because I remember the Game Center CX episode where Arino plays it.

There is a level where the controls are reversed because you're on the ceiling or something, too.

LayLa

sigh, if only more box art was as good as Yume Penguin Monogatari

anyway, more Famicom weirdness
Santa Claus no Takarabako (1987) - a virtual xmas card generator. yup. oh also 4 "games" e.g. a Bingo game that just generates random numbers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nScKcW10tQo
Ai Sensei no Oshiete: Watashi no Hoshi (1993) - a horoscope game - features eight different types of fortune-telling! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4VPmlW-2M
The Monitor Puzzle Kineko - Kinetic Connection (1986) - 8-bit jigsaws. had a Vol 2! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqwtUTFchvk

:lol I searched for this too because I remember the Game Center CX episode where Arino plays it.

There is a level where the controls are reversed because you're on the ceiling or something, too.

Oh damn, I don't think I got that far. :(

Tempted to plug my Wii back in and play some now, haha. In case anyone doesn't know, it's available on the Wii VC.

sphinx

the piano man
the box art was always lols worthy

Anticipation box art

something annoyed me about this game, when I saw it in stores.

It was the only white box, with random moronic faces from individuals who clearly weren't gamers and didn't know how to hold a freaking NES controller in their hands.

since I was a addicted to NES games, my first though was... "Maybe it's a sign I should buy it" -_-

LayLa

oh yeh i forgot to mention the Nazoler Land games.
these were a series of 3 Famicom Disk games that were released by Sunsoft, and they were supposed to be like a magazine - released on a semi-regular basis, containing several smaller mini-games. i've always loved the idea of this, i guess Guild 01 for the 3DS is kind of a modern day attempt at this? anyway more information here http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Nazoler_Land_Soukan_Gou

I remember seeing a screenshot of a game called Peach Boy, where two old people cut a peach in half and a...naked five years old male jumped out

I was like
is-bradley-cooper-the-a-team-s-face--00.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
There's a good web series called Chrontendo which goes through every licensed game ever released for the Famicom and NES in chronological order. I've seen some weird shit on that. The only problem is that it's quite a lot to watch of course, but it's usually pretty interesting because the guy is serious about it so he's not constantly making stupid jokes but actually gives you facts about the game and the development of it etc etc. He's only up to March of 1989 so far but that's still a lot of games.

http://chrontendo.blogspot.com/

Yup, this is what I came to post... this is THE place to go for in-depth looks at obscure and bizarre games.

Monster Party is pretty weird for its time.

This. What an awesome and unappreciated game. This is a game that can translate very well today into a full blown 3D adventure game. Swallowing a pill and turning into a monster dragon was very weird and the trippy enemies like a Shrimp and Onion Ring boss are some of the most strange enemies in gaming history.

Jackano

Ahah good ones everywhere, well done!

Not bizarre but earlier this week I saw in an old games store a NES game in perfect condition, too bad I forgot the name, but the box mainly in red color had a man with a blaster firing at a t-rex with some robots parts. i was like "woo, this game have evreything!". Dinosaurs in space and robots. Merely a meme.

I miss these days of gaming where a developer would just throw a random idea like "Baby fighting fruit with fireballs" and just go balls out with it. I have said this many times before but story really limits games in many ways. We just don't see crazy trippy ideas like that anymore.

Jackano

I miss these days of gaming where a developer would just throw a random idea like "Baby fighting fruit with fireballs" and just go balls out with it. I have said this many times before but story really limits games in many ways. We just don't see crazy trippy ideas like that anymore.

Indeed, except Miyamoto. Pikmin world is pretty fun. I love the strange lifeforms who lives in there. I'm talking about Olimar or the pikmins, but some of the bestiary.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mendel's Palace

PEAnR.jpg

Weird puzzle game by Game Freak before they made Pokemon.

It actually looks pretty fun to play, there's a short Let's Play I watched that seemed enjoyable.

Top Bottom