• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most diverse developers?

RCU005

I am currently playing N64 games and I realized that most of the games I love on N64 are made by Rare. They were truly the best developers for the console and that was their golden era. They made various games in one generations from different genres. It's actually very impressive, and made me wonder which other developers have been so diverse?

Rare on Nintendo 64:
Banjo Kazooie - 3D platformer
Killer Instinct - Fighting
Diddy Kong Racing - Racing
Goldeneye 007 - FPS
Jet Force Gemini - TPS

Surely I'm missing something, but it's great how they had at least one game for each genre; and also, they weren't stuck with one IP. All this In just one console generation.

What other developers have several games with many variety?

Jeeves

Yeah it's really impressive how many different types of games Rare was able to do. They have at least one game in each of the most popular genres from their heyday that's beloved by many fans.

They're probably my pick too, after Nintendo.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Nintendo is pretty diversive in general even if they mainly stick to the same IP’s. You’ve got open worlds, jrpgs, turn based rpgs, action adventure, third person shooters, racers, fighters, party games, 2d platformers, 3d platformers, puzzle games, builders, strategy games

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

I am currently playing N64 games and I realized that most of the games I love on N64 are made by Rare. They were truly the best developers for the console and that was their golden era. They made various games in one generations from different genres. It's actually very impressive, and made me wonder which other developers have been so diverse?

Rare on Nintendo 64:
Banjo Kazooie - 3D platformer
Killer Instinct - Fighting
Diddy Kong Racing - Racing
Goldeneye 007 - FPS
Jet Force Gemini - TPS

Surely I'm missing something, but it's great how they had at least one game for each genre; and also, they weren't stuck with one IP. All this In just one console generation.

What other developers have several games with many variety?
'Blast Corps' is the one you want, my friend.

Hudo

Probably Nintendo but Westwood Studios (RIP) were quite diverse:

invented RTS games with Dune 2 and perfected that formula with Command & Conquer games,
real-time blobbers with Eye of the Beholder and the first Lands of Lore,
action-adventure rpgs with Lands of Lore 2 and 3,
Space MMO with Earth & Beyond
FPS with vehicles and bases (in multiplayer) with C&C: Renegade (still better than any Battlefield, IMHO),
hack and slay with Nox,
point and click adventures with Kyrandia and the heavily underrated Blade Runner.

Then I'm confused! Nothing crosses my mind.
I think it's because these days companies are playing it safe. If something sales, one studio is locked in spitting out sequel after sequel.

Look at Naughty Dog for example. Technically they've been working on the same game for 13 years now (Uncharted and post apocalyptic reskin known as The Last of Us).

There are countless other studios like that. The bigger the publisher overlord, the worst it gets. Ubisoft and Microsoft are the biggest offenders in my opinion.

TheGrat1

Nice to see that people do not know the difference between a developer and a publisher.

I submit: Insomniac Games
Disruptor (Their first game), Resistance Trilogy - First-person Shooter
Spyro the Dragon Series - Platformer
Ratchet & Clank Series - Combatformer
Fuse, Sunset Overdrive - Third Person Action/Shooter
Spider-Man - Superhero Adventure
Song of The Deep - Metroidvania
Stormland - Virtual Reality Action

They also have a bunch of smaller games for mobile and PC.

These games range in visuals from realistic to cartoony, and in tone from comedic to serious. Insomniac, fawking chameleons.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sega. But if you mean ports or remakes prob Capcom.

CitizenX

Banned
Todays modern era no doubt Klei studios by far for indie and Insomniac has a solid track record of doing a lot of different things.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hmm, how so? Since, what they do other than big budget open world trash? Or did you mean (((diversity)))?

Car/boats/planes games (The Crew), cartoony games (Rayman/their new greek game), hackers game (Watch Dogs), historic games (AC), mythical games (Prince of Persia), tactical sword game (For Honor), tactical shooter (R6), espionage game (Splinter Cell), military game (Ghost Recon), and that snow Xtreme-like game (Steep), music (Just dance), and many more.

adamosmaki

monolith. They made some of the greatest fps games, they made some great 3rd person action games. They also made some of the best survival horror games and they made a few mmos as well.
For a relatively small company compared to the likes of ubisoft etc that is impressive

darthpaxton

Neo Member
I actually think it might be Double Fine. They've made a 3D platformer, a sports game, a fighting game, a third-person action/RTS game, a party-based RPG, a puzzle game, a war/mech game, a motion game, a management simulator, a music game, a sandbox game, a point-and-click adventure, a top-down action-adventure game, a space simulator, a turn-based strategy game, a remastered game, a Metroidvania game, and a rogue-like game.

They've developed games for console, PC, handhelds, augmented reality, virtual reality, Kinect, mobile, and even web browsers of various shapes and sizes, from no-budget flash games to AAA games.

Top Bottom