• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

most graphically impressive 5th gen games?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Games from the 5th generation of consoles get a (frankly undeserved imo) reputation of looking like total dogshit. I want to know the games from that generation that impressed you at the time, and whether you think they still look good today.

for me, Crash, Final Fantasy 9, Radiant Silvergun, and Metal Gear Solid are some really great highlights.

crashbandicot03.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
black+mage+village+final+fantasy+9+cutaway.PNG
radiantsilvergun_2.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Another nominee for this would be Re-Volt. granted, it looks far better on dreamcast and PC, but Dreamcast counts as both 5th and 6th gen in my eyes or at least an inbetween. the art direction of this one aged gracefully, especially at higher resolutions

here's a comparison video between all the different versions

Last edited:

Codes 208

Sonic adventure 1&2 (really hard to place dreamcast, i considered it more of a gen 5 with the xbox being its 6th gen spiritual successor) zelda majoras mask, wave racer 64, mk64, crash and spyro, doom 64, conker

GymWolf

Mgs had so many microdetails that other games never had, just for that it was mindblowing, but the characters, especially the faces weren't nothing special.

Saga frontier 2
Tekken 3
Heart of darkness
Parasite eve 2
Vagrant story
Ape escape
Resident evil 3
Gran turismo 2
Crash 3
Spyro 3
Ff8 and 9

Now they all look like shit except the more stylized ones like saga frontier 2 or skullmonkeys.

Last edited:

Fbh

Visually the 2D stuff like Symphony of the Night and the games with pre rendered backgrounds like FFIX and Chrono Cross hold up the best.

But if we are talking raw 3D graphics I think it's games like Tekken 3, MGS and Gran Turismo.

Sojiro

The Dreamcast shouldn't be included in these 5th gen comparisons, its a substantial step up from 5th gen and Sega already has the Saturn to represent it for that generation. Its tough finding screenshots/videos of games that haven't been enhanced using emulator features. I will also stick to 3D games without pre-rendered backgrounds or 2D games, as those look better than most of the other choices. Here are some that I thought looked great:

Ride Racer Type 4 - An absolute stunner on the PS1. The tracks are quite detailed, cars looked great, and the lighting in tunnels and day/night transitions was really impressive, and its all ran at a smooth 60 fps. They were squeezing everything the PS1 had for this game, and its a visual feat.

Crash Team Racing - Super colorful, with loads of details on the tracks, and a lot more going on in the backgrounds than Mario Kart 64.

Mega Man Legends 2 - I fucking love the art style of this game, and its quite the looker for the system. The draw distance is also pretty good for games of this era.

Bulk Slash - The Saturn isn't known for its 3D strengths, but this game looks really good IMO. The pop in is very noticeable when in flight mode, but the game still looks quite good, and runs really well.

Banjo Tooie - I may like the first game more, but I think the second is a bit of a step up over the first visually. The areas in the game were quite large too, which was impressive for the time, and without even relying on the ram pack.

Diddy Kong Racing - The best racing game on the system IMO, it looks much better than MK64 IMO, and has much more going on with its tracks.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - I could also put Ocarina of Time here since they both have a similar look to them, but I think Majora's has the edge. Clock Town and the dungeons were really large and looked great.

I found N64 games to be more impressive at the time but when paying PS1 and N64 games natively now, the PS1 is just more appealing even with the wobbles. The image is just so much clearer. Something like Resident Evil 3 Nemesis still looks good.

Obvious choices, but I think Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn), Spyro the Dragon (PSX), and Mario 64 (N64) are the highlights for me. I feel like all 3 of those games are polished and impressive releases.

Sojiro

I hate when people posts upresed screenshots from older consoles to prove they didn't look that bad.
I don't think anyone is doing that intentionally to hide what the games looked like, a lot of screenshots and videos posted now are using emulator features, especially for PS1, I had a hard time finding the ones I did, and even then I question a couple of them.
30fps unfortunately :messenger_grinning_sweat: still impressive though
Yeah that is my bad 😅. Giving it a bit too much credit lol.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Saturn Alpha 2 is 99% arcade perfect without ram cart. Saturn Zero 3 with a 4MB cart is 99.99%:messenger_fire:

Saturn Decathlete looks amazing in high res 60fps.

Saturn Sega Rally was a miracle port like RR on PlayStation yet from way more powerful arcade:lollipop_fire:

Saturn Grandia is a looker too, among many others on an underrated often bashed for 3D system.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Saturn Alpha 2 is 99% arcade perfect without ram cart. Saturn Zero 3 with a 4MB cart is as good.

Saturn Decathlete looks amazing in high res 60fps.

Saturn Sega Rally was a miracle port.

Saturn Grandia is a looker too, among many others.

Sega rally looks pretty great actually, as does decathlete. I forget Grandia was on the Saturn, does it hold up well to the PlayStation version?

Alexios

Sega rally looks pretty great actually, as does decathlete. I forget Grandia was on the Saturn, does it hold up well to the PlayStation version?
It's better, for some reason they redid floor texturing on important areas like the first city on PlayStation, maybe not enough memory? Whatever the reason it looks wrong, on Saturn you have proper alignment/variety/paths, building shadows, great VDP2 effects for the sea among other better stuff.

On PlayStation two better aspects are of course the real transparencies in place of mesh/no transparencies on Saturn (really not as big a deal as people made it out to be back then on CRT TVs, now they do stick out when viewed on modern displays) and character shadows are full sprites, not blobs.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
the issue with mesh transparencies is that even when viewed on Composite, the image behind the transparency is more fuzzy due to half the pixels being covered up by what's in front. Not to mention differing levels of opacity can't be easily conveyed with mesh transparencies.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good job mentioning Radiant Silvergun, OP. What that game does in later stages is absolutely bonkers, top-tier stuff for 1998.

Conker's Bad Fur Day should be mentioned, too.

Alexios

One that I never played in person but would have probably dropped my jaw:

Omega_Boost_Coverart.png
I was a bit disappointed, it just doesn't play as good as Panzer Dragoon Zwei imo, despite giving you more control. I got it because some of its key creators were on it. But it was still very good, looked great and the FMV videos are cool af. It's such a shame Polyphony Digital stuck to GT only since...

Last edited:

NT80

Tekken 2 and 3 looked amazing at the time. Tekken 3's stages suffered in the port to console though as they were converted from 3d real time to 2d static backgrounds.
Gran Tursimo
Resident Evil 2 and 3
Einhander. How well did Radiant Silvergun compare to this? I never played it at the time.
ISS/Pro Evo Soccer series

fart town usa

Gold Member
Off the top of my head.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn)
Last Bronx (Saturn)
Shining the Holy Ark (Saturn)
Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)

RE3: Nemesis (PSX)
T.R.A.G: Mission of Mercy / Hard Edge (PSX)
MGS (PSX)
FF9

Plenty others of course. Those Saturn games listed above would give any PSX game a run for its money. Last Bronx is insanely impressive, I don't play it much but it honestly looks stunning.

squarealex

PS1 have so many crazy thing

Tobal 2 (Hi-Res and 60fps)

nC7vY7A.gif
jNltZ2l.gif

Dino Crisis (Full 3D)

dino-crisis-rebecca.gif

Dr.Slump

psx-dr-slump.gif

Hokuto no Ken

tumblr_nvjwz4yF3R1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Koudelka

koudelka-shadow-hearts.gif

Vagrant Story

VS4.gif
96E4F25BD7BAA3F0628A7D250A2C5A31B284C84A

Megaman Legends 2

tron-bonne-mega-man-legends.gif

Breath of Fire 4

tumblr_ogsxys7JgZ1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Mizuna Falls

b8331de722674b7a38f5611b5d7a70800497acea.gif
bf99b376efca1b249f803896ae1930b009650c3e.gif
865231c11f8b89384c72c5eb0afb515afd8a3ab0.gif

Parasite Eve 2

tumblr_pbxxfknNGp1u9fgido1_500.gif
ayashootingburner.gif

Final Fantasy IX

final-fantasy-ix-ff9.gif
Mgg8.gif

Chrono Cross

28-FATE86.jpg
13-sky23.jpg

Spyro Trilogy

1f68a084c3b21a3e36a7f3c5dc154f66.gif
tumblr_mjnm685kHs1rs3i2ko1_500.gif

Wipeout 3 :

55d310f8bc53d7897d3ea8e4fdd8a56237545b0e.gif
f77466e21ed939748eb781d81183a39d9cc59d5f.gifv

Last edited:

Alexios

Can't not mention Sonic Jam of course even if it was just one level. I just loved those cutesy 3D Sonic & Tails models compared to the edgy look they tried to get with Dreamcast. And Last Bronx and VF2 that were mentioned need to be seen too, high res 60 fps, with textures (like DecAthlete).

And the pinnacle that could have been.

Folks should really stop posting emulator screens and videos though, that's not what things looked like. And ideally no screenshots at all, polygon/texture warping and other artifacts were a thing that heavily affected how games looked too, not to mention pop in and other such necessities on top.​

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Can't not mention Sonic Jam of course even if it was just one level. I just loved those cutesy 3D Sonic & Tails models compared to the edgy look they tried to get with Dreamcast. And Last Bronx and VF2 that were mentioned needs to be seen too, high res 60 fps with textures (like DecAthlete).

sonic jam was a sight to behold, everything about that little world looked insanely advanced even compared to many ps1 and n64 contemporaries.

Sonic R is also a graphical showcase of the time, ignoring the shite draw distance

Rudius

Need For Speed High Stakes looks very nice for a PS1 game. It even has night and rain options. On emulators you can force it to run at 60 fps just by overclocking the CPU; this works for NFS3 as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

790698_2545907250.png

hq720.jpg

Top Bottom