• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most impressive Mario Kart 8 track

Interpret this as you want. Graphics? Design? Anything is fair game.

I was thinking of mk8 deluxe which made me pick up mk8 on Wii u again. Has been a while since I played it so I was doing some time trials to get back into the groove. I fired up neo bowser city, with the rain and the neon lights everywhere and was just wowed at how great it looks. It's not the most exciting track to play on, but it just looks so good. I took a few moments to just stop and look around.

Was wondering what your favorite tracks in mk8 are.

Neiteio

Piranha Plant Slide, in motion, always strikes me as one of the most visually impressive things I've seen on my TV, including my PS4 Pro and its library. Yeah, sure, if you freeze-frame you can pick out aliasing, etc. But in motion, going between the sunny exterior and dark interior, the sewer lights flashing by, all of the slick surfaces, etc, it's just sensory overload at times, to the point of nearly being distracting.

I still maintain MK8 is a contender for best-looking game around. Everything comes together in such a sumptuous way. Whole game is a feast for the eyes.

E-flux

I would say that the most impressive level would be the mountain downhill level, can't remember the name but the way the soundtrack changes during the level and just the different locales you go through.

I also really like the Excite bike track and the Princess peach castle circuit, but you asked for the most impressive and not favorite.

Neiteio

I actually think the very first track, Mario Kart Stadium, might be my favorite overall. It has such an exciting atmosphere straight out of NASCAR, but with the unbridled joy you find in the Mario series. Such a nicely detailed and well-lit course, too.

Piranha Plant Slide, in motion, always strikes me as one of the most visually impressive things I've seen on my TV, including my PS4 Pro and its library. Yeah, sure, if you freeze-frame you can pick out aliasing, etc. But in motion, going between the sunny exterior and dark interior, the sewer lights flashing by, all of the slick surfaces, etc, it's just sensory overload at times, to the point of nearly being distracting.

I still maintain MK8 is a contender for best-looking game around. Everything comes together in such a sumptuous way. Whole game is a feast for the eyes.

It really is. I love my pc and my other consoles, but damn if Mario Kart doesn't impress me so much more. Game oozes charm.

Pinky

Banned
I would say that the most impressive level would be the mountain downhill level, can't remember the name but the way the soundtrack changes during the level and just the different locales you go through.

Mount Wario, I believe.

Regiruler

It's Electrodrome. Such a vast departure from previous tracks in the series, astounding visual detail, and very well done audio gimmicks.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I really love the Rainbow Road N64, the music and setting is just makes it a fun track to race on. Just a shame that the track is so short as the race is done and over with.

nkarafo

Ribbon Road

Mario-Kart-8-DLC-Ribbon-Road.jpg

Mount Wario
The combination of different obstacles, how the music changes during the track and how the track combines different gimmicks makes it just so damn good

I also really like the Excite bike track and the Princess peach castle circuit, but you asked for the most impressive and not favorite.

Mount Wario. The way the park up at the end like a skier is a cool touch.

Berordn

Oh boy this is hard. The only way I can answer is giving multiple answers.

From the new tracks, it's probably Mount Wario, just a blast from start to end and surprisingly varied for an icy mountain course.

From the returning tracks, maybe Rainbow Road just for the massive visual overhaul and the rendition of the theme. Pity it's too short to really appreciate.

From the DLC, it's Ribbon Road. They just overhauled it so much that not only is it basically a new course, the aesthetic is just spot on and a ton of fun to spot all the easter eggs.

Honorable Mentions for Dolphin Shoals, Sunshine Airport, Wario Stadium DS, Tick Tock Clock DS and Super Bell Subway.

Ribbon Road gives me major nostalgia. If I had to not choose that one I couldn't pick. Maybe Electrodome. Rainbow Road Wii U is also great because they went with a shuttle aesthetic instead of an actual rainbow, which I thought was an interesting change.

MAN the amount of love that went into each track blows my mind.

I love that forest level in the Animal Crossing DLC.

Has a very charming zeldaesque music and atmosphere, without being actually related to Zelda.

Real answer:Electrodome

Fake answer: We don't know yet, as it will be upcoming DLC. (But seriously, I'd love if they just kept adding to 8 instead of making an all new 9 for Switch, which will inevitably not be as feature-packed, however understandable).

I'm not sure how I'd differentiate most impressive from my favourite.
On paper any of the two point to point tracks could be the most impressive, Mt Wario and Big Blue offer a ton of visual and design variety across their journey from start to finish while looking incredibly slick.
I suppose N64 Rainbow Road is point to point but not in the same way really.

My personal favourite is Dragon Driftway though, it's like a simple course concept (lots of turns: the track) executed with such visual aplomb from its use of SMG2's Dragon boss as the basis for the winding track amongst the eastern aesthetics to a good old anti gravity and standard track lanes occasionally being directly in line with each other ala F-Zero GX Lightning.

edit: ^Animal Crossing has given me Winter ONCE and that was with me going in and out of the track to get it specifically, it's not faaaaiiiiir.

hotcyder

In terms of sheer spectacle - I'm going to go for either Mute City or Mount Wario

However, I have a soft spot for GBA Mario Circuit - just because of how much heavy lifting the MK8 engine and aesthetic does for the track. Not to mention how great the brass reinterpretation of its theme is.

Neo Bowser City because I'm a sucker for the aesthetic

Mute City did an admirable job trying to give more of a sense of speed (despite not coming close to F-Zero). One of the best courses in the game (Big Blue is cool but I don't think it's as good)

That said, Mario Circuit is a perfect level in design and aesthetic. The turns are so good

Piscus

When you said "track", I thought you meant form the OST, haha.

....so my vote would be Toad Harbor, even though I love so many of them.

Also, for biggest surprise, I would pick Moo Moo Meadows. For a level I didn't care about at all on Wii, listening to the MK8 version of the song just makes me want to... return home.

edit: But man, Shy Guy Falls with the Shy Guys singing as you pass them by... And Cloudtop Cruise! And SNES Rainbow Road! And the airport level! Too many... I love this game, haha.

Love the arena, but he said Mario Kart 8.

It's been a while, but I loved the track which went up on top of the clouds. The music change throughout the level was very impressive.

Oops, my eyes must have glazed over the eight.

maybe it's in deluxe and I'll be right in retrospect lol

I must have over 100 hours in that game, but I couldn't decide, almost all of them are fantastic. Bottom half vs. top half would be much easier.

I have to say though that the DLC tracks seem more elaborate in the eye-candy part - even if the corner-design part is just on par with everything else.

Electrodrome for me.
It looks so good and I actually love the track itself.
It's a trip to Epilep City and I love it. Reminds me of the Speed Racer live action movie.

Top Bottom