• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most interesting "cut" or "hidden" content found within game data.

bomblord1

Banned
ArwingZelda1.jpg

There have been some interesting finds over the years of unused content found lurking deep in the bowels of game data that was not meant to actually be seen by players. These range from minor things like textures to massive unused areas. I can think of a dozen or so examples off the top of my head. For example, the picture above shows an arwing that was found in the game data of ocarina of time with fully functioning AI. It flies around and will shoot at you and appears to be the basis for the Volvagia boss's AI.

Another somewhat humorous example is an audio clip in Lunar 2 of the game's main villain congratulating you for ripping audio from the disc in order to "cheat" and telling you that he has a special place for you by his side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDunXSSQu9o

What are some of the best examples you have seen of hidden content found in a game's data gaf?

liquidtmd

Banned
By no means the 'best', but Hidden Palace in Sonic 2 really captured my imagination for years in my youth in '92.

All from the Hidden Palace music within the Music Select screen. Such a sombre piece in a way, quite different from all other tracks.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Super Smash Bros Brawl: Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and supposedly Plusle & Minun.

Marvel VS. Capcom: Dr. Octopus. I would love to see how he would work in Marvel Vs. Capcom. Frank West was in the file but he ended up become playable character in Ultimate version.

Chrono Trigger: Old Man was originally to be playable character

SoulUnison

Banned
Another somewhat humorous example is an audio clip in Lunar 2 of the game's main villain congratulating you for ripping audio from the disc in order to "cheat" and telling you that he has a special place for you by his side.

Similarly, if you put Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) in a regular CD player, Vyse will tell you to put the disc back in a Dreamcast "where they belong" so that they can "do their jobs."

Similarly, if you put Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) in a regular CD player, Vyse will tell you to put the disc back in a Dreamcast "where they belong" so that they can "do their jobs."

I really enjoyed the CD track on Castlevania: SOTN.

"This is a playstation black disc. Track one contains computer data, so please, don't play it. But you probably won't listen to me anyway, will you?"

XenoRaven

It probably shouldn't amaze me as much as it does, but I can't believe there's an entire planet in KOTOR 2 that was cut by the developer/publisher and then restored by fans.

sflufan

Banned
KOTOR 2: The Thread.

Seriously, I can't think of very many other games that were so thoroughly gutted as that one.

TimeSplitters 2 had an entire Gothic tileset for Mapmaker that was fully completed and cut super late (even some reviews mentioned it and the music was selectable), probably because someone took one look at it and decided that it was too satanic with all the winged statues and lava. Luckily unlike the Abstract tileset in TS:FP it's still accessible and playable with Action Replay (and ironically it is probably the best tileset).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKdbHDzsVc

There's a unfinished copy of the entrance to Gerudo Fortress in the Haunted Wasteland. The only way to get to it is to cheat, and all it does is send you back to Gerudo Fortress.

Squishy3

The shadow people in Super Mario Galaxy 2 have to count, right?
ojDD6_1.png

The filename of the skybox for the level they're in is called "BeyondHellValley" and the filename for them is "HellValleySkyTree." Weird stuff.

Confirming that my suspicions were true in regards to Wind Waker.

But my favourite is sonic the hedgehog.
From sonic 1's level select being out of order and getting to play level modifier with debug mode finding unused tilesets and getting a peak behind the curtain of the mysterious world of games production.

Sonic 2 level select being Yuji Naka's birthday and seeing the neame of stages that didn't exist..

chozen

Kraid Metroid Prime

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...P_Kraid.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20081008221230

Sky Dragon sonic Adventure DX

http://www.deco.franken.de/adventure/screens/screen5.jpg

Zelda OOT

Extra tunics and 2 other temples possibly gone for ever in nintendos basement file cabinet.

Destiny

Other possible planets places, old chicago, The reef. More open areas weapons and enemy types probably for dlc later.

Guild wars 2 Old Zhaitan

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/86504/DragonCorpse.png

Jurassic Park Trespasser Pine Valley level. Would have been a forest level leading to the parks Geothermal Power Plant where you had to restore power to the island before you could call for help.

Trespasser_PineValleyLoadingscreen.png

It was cut late into development because of the janky physics engine puzzles not working correctly and they had little time to fix them before the strict release date.

People have deconstructed the levels and found that two of the levels had been stitched together where the Pine Valley level would have been.

There are references including music files in alpha versions of the game that point to the level as well.

s8Xvetj.jpg

A cutdown version of the level that would have leaded to the Geothermal Plant was released as a demo for the game.

holy shit why did they cut it I wonder?
Probably time constraints and the fact that it´s aesthetically similar to Neverland. Given the amount of neat stuff that tends to get cut from KH games while in development (Bahamut in KH1, Buzz and Woody in KH2FM, Pleakley in Birth by Sleep, Fantasia 2000 in KH3D) it doesn´t surprise me.

Anyone with the original JP non Final Mix release of the game can actually get a hold of a hacked savefile that takes you straight to what´s left of the Jungle Book world.

stn

WWF No Mercy (N64) had Game Boy Color Mode, which was later made playable through Gameshark hacks. Unused animations, moves, attires, and other things were also discovered via memory hacking. In fact, I think things are still being discovered to this day.

Top Bottom