• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most overrated games of 2005...(let the hate commence!)

Wollan

243602.jpg

PS! God of War is underrated.

blackadde

GoW. It's actually pretty fun, but the GAF hype train had me convinced it was the second coming of Jesus with a side of fries.

Ironclad

Prine said:
Jade Empire is still a great game, just not up to par with BioWare's previous games. Still better than KOTOR II

AND.... wernt you gushing all over GoW? :lol I remember you saying how great the game is to me over Halo2 machmaking :lol

WHEN YOU NEXT ONLINE!!
Send me a PM when you're on and I will play. You never seem to be on either. :p

Anyway, I wasn't gushing over GoW. I was telling you some of the best part of the game so it probably sounded like I was gushing over it. All in all, it is a great game. Like I said, I played it several times. However, the game does get repetitive and the lack of bosses does hurt the game. Still, it does have some great moments.

Krowley

i loved jade empire. i'll admit the combat was a bit disapointing, but the story and graphcs/art made up for it. I think the backlash comes from ign's score, which set people up to expect something on the level of RE4 or metroid prime. I still think it's a 9+ game... even though combat wasn't perfect it was still fun, and if the difficulty had been greater, it would have been fairly strategic. It had tons of side quests and the good/evil choices where very well executed.

most disapointing game so far for me was gran turismo. It's just too repetitive and the actual racing was extremly bland... 700+ cars wasn't enough of an incentive to make me race a million times.

Zeo

Banned
Zer0 said:
yeah..sure

gamers todaya are reaching a stupid level of Exigency ,90 per cent of the games of this thread are EXCELLENT GAMES

a) No.

b) Overrated doesn't mean bad.

C- Warrior said:
Okay, that's great God of War "was freakin amazing" for the first 20 minutes of gameplay, the rest of the game (all 6 remaining hours) was boring and repetitive. Oh yeah, and IMO. No need to debate on a thread that's assloaded with opinions.

I dont think you played much of God of War.

The rest of the game gets a LOT better and crazier after the opening segment.

I'm about halfway through RE4 right now and I would say it's a great game, but not a 10. The bosses have gone down hill since the first one
in the lake.
Aiming is definately not perfect. A lot of the puzzles also seem thrown in to make it seem more like Resident Evil. And while I do enjoy the upgrading aspect of the game, seeing that damn merchant every 10 feet takes me out of the experience sometimes.

Oh, and the music in the "safe" areas, where you can save and such, is simply not up to the RE standard.

Socreges

Banned
Hmmm, in my opinion, the most overrated game in 2005 was Your Favourite Game. It actually wasn't all that good. Then why did you enjoy it? Fucked if I know, but you were WRONG to enjoy it!

sammy

what exactly are we defining as overrated???

actual game-journalist scores? Or cult-followings?
'cause cult games will always be overrated by their cult-followings.....

but if we're goin for game-journalist scores:

B0007D9YT8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

EA, when it actually becomes PLAYABLE we'll be happy to throw more hours into it..... But you already have our $$$ don't ya :lol

Most definetly Jade Empire..

It got so hyped up, and people were thinking it would be the RPG of all RPG's on Xbox, it got a 9.9 from IGN, and then it was just meh and short..

Way over rated.. and they came out with limited editions and like everyone traded them back in already.. and its already taken a 20 dollar price drop.. =[

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Vargas said:
Twilight Princess.

I challenge you to a duel to the death.

And definitely God of fucking War. Great game and all, but no fucking way a ZOMG!!11 9.9!!! like everyone *cough*IGN*cough* was making it out to be. 8.5 at best.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
LittleTokyo said:
I'm about halfway through RE4 right now and I would say it's a great game, but not a 10. The bosses have gone down hill since the first one
in the lake.
Aiming is definately not perfect. A lot of the puzzles also seem thrown in to make it seem more like Resident Evil. And while I do enjoy the upgrading aspect of the game, seeing that damn merchant every 10 feet takes me out of the experience sometimes.

Oh, and the music in the "safe" areas, where you can save and such, is simply not up to the RE standard.

Where you are in the game I was somewhat agreeing about the Bosses and the music. The safe music began to grow on me though and believe me when I say there are some excellent bosses left for you to experience including what is widely considered to be one of the best boss battles of this generation which becomes equally amazing when you find out you can beat that boss most effectively with the last weapon you would think of using.

As for me most overated would have to be between Jade Empire and GoW. Both games are reaaaalllly good but neither deserved the ridiculous scores they initially recieved.

Zer0

Banned
sammy said:
what exactly are we defining as overrated???

actual game-journalist scores? Or cult-followings?
'cause cult games will always be overrated by their cult-followings.....

but if we're goin for game-journalist scores:

EA, when it actually becomes PLAYABLE we'll be happy to throw more hours into it..... But you already have our $$$ don't ya :lol

battlefield2 its not playable? :lol :lol :lol

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
For me the overrated games doesn´t exist it exist the overrated publishers.

Jade Empire is overrated because it is from Bioware.

Erdrick

C- Warrior said:
See original post, I'm chilled out dude, I'm calm dammit, I'M FUCKING CALM!11!11

Isamu? Sean? :)

I think Kirby's Canvas Curse is kinda overhyped... It's probably due to the fact that there are so little quality DS games out in my view, moreso than that it is an actual good game. Same applies to Nanostray, it would appear.

Not played GoW, Jade Empire, GT4... so I cannot comment on those, really.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
conker's singleplayer is so unfunny and stinks so richly of n64 that it gave me a literal headache and i had to turn it off. the multiplayer sucked too. i'm not sure how conker's being rated, but it'd take a concerted effort to rate it as poorly as it deserves. it's the worst game ever.

God of War is good... but high reviews and GA raised my expectations too high.
and Jade Empire, but I think all Bioware games are overrated.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Want to know why I think Psychonauts might be overrated without having even played it?

Its because of the people who are raving about it. I've listened to their recommendations several times in the past and the games always came up short.

And let me stress that I didn't even say that it was overrated. I said it might be...and that very well might be the case judging by the high number of platformers that have been overrated this gen.

Shit, at least I'm honest and flat out said that I didn't play it. Lord knows how many people are trashing games in this thread without even playing them. In the future maybe I should just follow in their footsteps and pretend that I played the game. How would you like that?

Tarazet

JC10001 said:
Want to know why I think Psychonauts might be overrated without having even played it?

Its because of the people who are raving about it. I've listened to their recommendations several times in the past and the games always came up short.

And let me stress that I didn't even say that it was overrated. I said it might be...and that very well might be the case judging by the high number of platformers that have been overrated this gen.

Shit, at least I'm honest and flat out said that I didn't play it. Lord knows how many people are trashing games in this thread without even playing them. In the future maybe I should just follow in their footsteps and pretend that I played the game. How would you like that?

"Everyone's doing it" isn't a valid excuse. You didn't play the game and so you have zero credibility regarding it. It's my favorite game this gen, and I think it's brilliant in a why-hasn't-a-game-like-this-been-on-the-Xbox-before kind of way. The only complaint I have is that it starts to drag near the end; a couple of levels go for too long without any serious action, enough that even though I was totally immersed for the first ten hours or so, I started to lose interest near the finish.

zbadart.gif

This game could be the most overrated game of the year when it comes out based purely on the new look... if it weren't for the fact that I know Nintendo are probably gonna get everything right (again), I'd be pissed off.

The most over-rated titles in a generation are the launch ones. That goes for every system. I've seen people hype some bullshit at console/handheld launches, and I've bought into it every time. Do I own all of those games two or three years down the line? Fuck no, they're horrible.

Top Bottom