• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most overrated games of 2005...(let the hate commence!)

.hacked said:
013388200139F.JPG

Seriously, you can try to split hairs with games like God of War, Jade Empire and the like, but with ^^this.../thread.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
236417.jpg

Well...most blockbusters don't live up to the hype. I certainly wouldn't be giving 9's and 10's to Jade Empire or God of War (though I enjoyed them).

I think RE4 had a lot to prove...and it did.

That stinker up above is about the biggest dissapointment of the year. What a cheap ass upgrade feature wise. Waited soooo long for such an average game. Given the amount of pre-coverage the game had they should be embarassed.

Tarazet

Musashi Wins! said:
236417.jpg

Well...most blockbusters don't live up to the hype. I certainly wouldn't be giving 9's and 10's to Jade Empire or God of War (though I enjoyed them).

I think RE4 had a lot to prove...and it did.

That stinker up above is about the biggest dissapointment of the year. What a cheap ass upgrade feature wise. Waited soooo long for such an average game. Given the amount of pre-coverage the game had they should be embarassed.

I have to agree with this. After about 10 hours of play I wanted to go back to GT3.

Sure Jade Empire was overrated (see: IGN), but i thought Splinter Cell was really good and God of War was better than i thought that kind of game could ever be.

Most overrated game has to be Forza Motor Sport. Since when does cloning a game that came out just months prior earn you 9's and 10's?

Bog

Junior Ace
Iamthegamer said:
Splinter Cell

Awful weapons

KOTOR

Bad combat

Halo 2

Horrendous Story

Gran Turismo

SLOW

You're an idiot.

The answer is either Lumines or Meteos.

Zer0

Banned
COCKLES said:
GTA-SA.

Seen it all before.

Done it all before.

yeah..sure

gamers todaya are reaching a stupid level of Exigency ,90 per cent of the games of this thread are EXCELLENT GAMES

Insertia

Ceb said:
4 Resident Evil - More playable than the old RE titles, but the story and writing left a lot to be desired and the suspense and atmosphere went downhill after the village.

soooo true. After the village I was waiting to see the ending. The castle sucked and everything that followed pretty much sucked.

Also Spinter Cell 3 is overrated. So formulaic and and the gameplay is unpolished.
End the series plz.

Tain

I still don't know what to call overrated or not, but whatever. I'll just list random problems with well-loved games.

Lumines... Eh, the only problems I have with it is the bizarre control (trasition from slow movement to fast really annoys me) and I hate the idea of such an easily attainable score cap.

Splinter Cell seems too linear. The entire series.

Jade Empire didn't really grab me.

Soul4ger said:
(Wipeout Pure)

;_;

Then again, I didn't think it was that praised.

AniHawk

God of War- good, but grew very repetitive.

Jade Empire- Not as good as either KOTOR... or even neared that level. Combat was clunky and I hardly ever screwed around with the different skills... I didnt have to.

Kirby Canvas Curse- fun, and good use of the DS's features. However, I havent felt the need to play it in a while. Maybe I'm not as big a fan of Kirby games as I once was.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
Kirby Canvas Curse- fun, and good use of the DS's features. However, I havent felt the need to play it in a while. Maybe I'm not as big a fan of Kirby games as I once was.

I loved that game, way to short though. I got 99.2 % and I doubt I'll go back to A rank the 3 boss games for the win. It was fun while it lasted, but suffered the standard "games to short" syndrome that the DS is becomming renowned for.

Ironclad

Jade Empire: Absolutely overrated. The combat was awful and the RPG elements were only skin-deep. The dialogue and the setting made the game for me but it is incredibly overrated.

God of War: Most definitely. I liked the game. Played through it several times but it is overrated. The game gets repetitive very quickly and there are only 3 boss battles in the game. I wish DMC 3 had gotten more recognition...

Other than that, everything else I have played this year has been right on the lines.

Eric Hall

I really liked Jade Empire :)

I think both Forza and GT4 are over-rated, but then again, not my type of racing games.

Guild Wars- Not fun at all

NBA Street V3- Yes it did score high and yes i will stick with 2

246534.jpg

I'll join the band wagon and agree this was over-rated. [edited to avoid needless debating--oh wait, too fuckin late :lol ]

Zeo

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
read: 2005

.. GTA: SA also came out this year, smartass.

C- Warrior said:
246534.jpg

I'll join the band wagon and agree this shit was over-rated. It's a shame this button-mash 7 hour DDR fiasco targeted for the lowest common denominator sold more than Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry 3...real action games, with real combos, depth, and balance. Tsk tsk...

GoW is a far better game than DMC3 and DMC3 has pretty crappy balance. GoW is just more fun.

But on that note, both are overrated. Neither of them are 9.9 games (hi IGN)

Meteos fits the bill for me at the moment. I haven't played it much because I just don't get it. I can't get into the puzzle groove with this one like with, say, Tetris Attack. I want to give it more of a chance, though....

SantaC

Zeo said:
.. GTA: SA also came out this year, smartass.

But it came initially out in 2004 which is the point. It won several GOTY 2004 awards, so how can it be the most overrated game of 2005?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
All IMHO, of course.

G-d of War. Hell yeah overrated. Crap game.
Stella Deus. Piece of shit game. Total garbage, even. (Aside from music.)
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade. Longer, more sterile, and more boring than the rest of the BG DA clones. Blech.
Wipeout Pure. Nice, but nothing special. Better than the last WO game, at least, thankfully.
Metal Gear Acid. Slow, boring, flawed.

The following games I liked, but didn't love. Not sure how they were reviewed, so they might not have been overrated after all:
Starfox Assault
Donkey Konga 2
Pac Pix
Yoshi Topsy Turvy
Yoshi Tough N Go

Johnas

C- Warrior said:
246534.jpg

I'll join the band wagon and agree this shit was over-rated. It's a shame this button-mash 7 hour DDR fiasco targeted for the lowest common denominator sold more than Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry 3...real action games, with real combos, depth, and balance. Tsk tsk...

What are your thoughts on DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden?...

:lol I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

You have to admit the way GoW was set up, up until right after you beat the hydra, was freaking awesome, I don't care who you are, that's right.

Uuuhh

Dante = 90 + manual moves, 10 weapons, 6 gameplay styles, 5 devil triggers, 4 instant weapon switching

Enemies and bosses = hard as hell

Dante = fuckin war machine

enemies and bosses = really damn efficient at killing half demons

really damn efficient at killing half demons = fuckin war machine

dmc3 is balanced, hmkay thx bye !

Sanjuro

<-----There is no need for this, if you know me by now I'm being sarcastic because PEOPLE CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT FUCKING YEAR IT IS!!

If I honestly had to pick it would be Gran Turismo 4.

For most disapointing game that would be Star Fox: Assault.

Ancestor_of_Erdrick said:
You have to admit the way GoW was set up, up until right after you beat the hydra, was freaking awesome, I don't care who you are, that's right.

Okay, that's great God of War "was freakin amazing" for the first 20 minutes of gameplay, the rest of the game (all 6 remaining hours) was boring and repetitive. Oh yeah, and IMO. No need to debate on a thread that's assloaded with opinions.

Johnas

C- Warrior said:
Okay, that's great God of War "was freakin amazing" for the first 20 minutes of gameplay, the rest of the game (all 6 remaining hours) was boring and repetitive. Oh yeah, and IMO. No need to debate on a thread that's assloaded with opinions.

Lighten up.

Prine

Banned
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Jade Empire: Absolutely overrated. The combat was awful and the RPG elements were only skin-deep. The dialogue and the setting made the game for me but it is incredibly overrated.

God of War: Most definitely. I liked the game. Played through it several times but it is overrated. The game gets repetitive very quickly and there are only 3 boss battles in the game. I wish DMC 3 had gotten more recognition...

Other than that, everything else I have played this year has been right on the lines.

Jade Empire is still a great game, just not up to par with BioWare's previous games. Still better than KOTOR II

AND.... wernt you gushing all over GoW? :lol I remember you saying how great the game is to me over Halo2 machmaking :lol

WHEN YOU NEXT ONLINE!!

SpokkX

Overrated:

Jade Empire - Overrated. Combat suck, no depth, story is corny. Character design laughable. 6/10

God of War - Overrated. Good SIMPLE action game with nice gfx. 8/10

Killer 7 - Overrated. Just.. uh.. a REAL crappy game with some cool design. 4/10

Gran Turismo 4. Overrated. Been there done that. No physics, no AI, no collisions. This is supposed to be racing? 6/10

NOT overrated:

Splinter Cell 3 (Xbox) - single player is MILES better than the last games.. reminds me of thief now with all the freedom. Trial and error is gone! great game 9/10

Resident Evil 4 - need is say more? 10/10

rod

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Uuuhh

Dante = 90 + manual moves, 10 weapons, 6 gameplay styles, 5 devil triggers, 4 instant weapon switching

Enemies and bosses = hard as hell

Dante = fuckin war machine

enemies and bosses = really damn efficient at killing half demons

really damn efficient at killing half demons = fuckin war machine

dmc3 is balanced, hmkay thx bye !

god of war is so much better than DMC3

Top Bottom