• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most tedious thing you've ever done in a video game

Ogni-XR21

Leveling up all my techs in Phantasy Star Universe to at least lvl 21. I played that very first mission over and over and over again.

Either farming for JP in FFV in that one underground dungeon castle area (don't recall exactly where it was, but it was somewhat early in the game), with that Lv.5 enemy that gave a ton of JP when you beat it the right way. Granted I was recovering from one helluva wisdom tooth operation at home during that, so I needed something monotonous to pass the time.

That or doing the Tidal Wave over limit exploit with Rita in Tales of Vesperia to farm Grade points.

zeorhymer

There's so many that I can't list them all, but my very first one was in EQ when they first introduced AA points after you it the level cap. It was during the Luclin moon expansion pack. I basically sat around in front of spawn points just killing them over and over to get the xp to get AA levels. Ah the days where I had no responsibilities.

cilonen

Masterworking my tier 12 gear in vanilla TERA.

Although the 'tedious' implies a level of brain switch off with little skill. The masterworking process was more actual grinding high level mobs for an incredibly slim chance they'd drop the material needed to masterwork, running content to get other tier 12 gear to sacrifice in the masterwork process and then combining it all in a dice roll with a very very small chance of success.

Repeat for all the items in the gear set.

I still can't believe I did that.

Spyware

I don't at all mind collectibles. I gladly jumped around to gather the flags in Assassin's Creed, the Blast Shards in inFAMOUS and the chests in Far Cry 3. I happily collected nothings in Blue Dragon and so on.
I get sad when people yell "stop putting things like these in games!" instead of just ignoring the collectibles and let us that like it have our fun. No one is forcing you to collect stuff.

Anyways, what I do find tedious is stuff that drags on for too long while keeping me "locked in". That Lightning Dodge minigame thing I wouldn't even try because it would drive me insane based on what I've heard about it.

I generally avoid tedious stuff but sometimes things that you don't expect to be tedious can be horrible:
I was finished with Assassin's Creed 3, the worst in the series by far, and had one tiny little cheevo left for total completion. I was so done with this game but didn't want to leave it with a single stupid cheevo unfinished. I thought would be simple since it only required you to look at NPCs doing their daily activities and chores. I had seen everything just by being around these NPCs during the playthrough, except for one single thing.
This single thing that the stupid NPC just refused to do. I spent way more time that I care to admit following this guy around, not being able to do anything else but look at him so I wouldn't lose him.
That's tedious to me.

Collect any useless thing in any Assassins Creed game......

Or maybe in any Ubisoft game.....

The only game I actually like it was collecting the orange scans (don't know how they are called) in The Division. At least they mean something in the context and it's visualy very cool.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
i platinumed MGSV, i had to do all the side objectives in the missions and the side ops, i swear to god most of that stuff was straight up garbage, it was the most extreme slog. I also farmed a pure bladestone in demon's souls.

rhandino

Banned
Just did that, wasn't so bad. There's a hundred of them but with a map it's very easy, and it tells you by city section how many you have left so it's hard to miss them.
The game doesn't mark what feathers you already collected so if you play the game first, collect some of them AND then you want to collect them all you have to looks into every spot using a outside help because this one doesn't let you buy an in-game map for them.

I got the Platinum in Final Fantasy XIII which required about 30-40 hours of killing giant turtles for a 0.00000000% item drop necessary for weapon crafting, and grinded FFXII to hell and back to get all my characters up to level 99 for no other reason than OCD.

So probably those things.

Horp

Farmed res gear in vanilla wow and mats for res gear in cata. Bleehhh

Edit:
Oh shit thats nothing; I farmed 32k rep with wsg during a perdiod when all rep u got was from winning a bg, and you got 25 rep per win. So over 1200 wins. As alliance.

amar212

Destiny, Hopschotch Pilgrim.

Grinded 200+ strikes to get it.

Spend fortune of weapon parts and motes to roll it.

Bungie nerfes that very single gun a week later.

Trying to farm for a good skell in XCX is pretty tedious. You need the skell to 100% the game. There isn't a quick way to get the items for farming. Augments on the skell add even more time to the farming.

Pokemon breeding isn't too bad, now that it's gen 6, and there's a community for hatching. It is annoying when a shiny hatches with the wrong IVs though.

The worst for me was retrieving all those triforce pieces in the Wind Waker. I did this in the US version which I heard was less tedious than the JP version. I can't even imagine how horrible that would have been.

I didn't even play this until Wind Waker HD. I heard they drastically improved it for that version, and it's still my choice.

Great game though...

I did a WoW battle pet achievement where you had to defeat 40 or so masters with an Elekk Plushie on your team, which has no abilities that are useful outside of having high hp, a move that slightly increased dodging chance and a swap out. It really wasn't that bad but it felt more soul draining then the Loremaster achievement or the Dalaran coin fishing one

Oh wait I forgot about RuneScape. The answer is just runescape in General.

Couleurs

Grinding out hell levels in Everquest.

Leveling was already a pain in the ass as you got higher, taking hours to grind each level since mobs gave shit experience and questing wasn't a viable way to level. For the first few expansions there was a bug that made it take multiple times longer to finish certain levels (39, 44, 49, 54, 59) than the previous level before going back to normal, so you would sit at the same camp and grind for an entire day or more, killing the same thing over and over.

Eventually it was fixed and the levels were smoothed out in terms of how much experience it took for each additional level, but god damn that was the worst. Especially since the bug made it where you lost more experience than normal if you died during the level after a hell level.

Muffdraul

Leveling up my Xenosaga Ep 1 characters to 100 so I could get the full bonus in Ep 2. Hours and hours in the final dungeon, just getting into battles and summoning Erde Kaizer on the first turn. Rinse and repeat, 5000 times. I wanted to die.

Looking for the last couple of feathers in Assassins Creed 2 would be a close runner up. Found them all without a guide and it weren't no picnic.

HMD

1. Grinding for sword mats in Year 2 Destiny.
  2. Grinding for Iron Banner Glimmer in Year 1 Destiny.
  3. Grinding for armour mats in Year 1 Destiny.
  4. Grinding for weapon, armour and subclass EXP in Year 1 Destiny.
  5. Grinding for weapon parts in Year 1 Destiny.
  6. Grinding for Hadium Flakes in Year 2 Destiny.
  7. Grinding for The Grasp of Maluk in Year 2 Destiny
  8. Grinding for Motes of Light in Year 1 Destiny.
  9. Grinding for exotic weapon quests in Year 2 Destiny
  10. The story mode in Year 1 Destiny
  11. The Crucible in Year 2 Destiny
  12. Oryx Challenge Mode in Year 2 Destiny.
  13. Nightfalls in Year 1 Destiny.
  14. Destiny

In recent memory...getting the materials for the sword in Destiny.

I'm embarrassed now how many hours I put...er...wasted in that game. Literally doing things I had no fun doing just so I could keep up with my friends and have fun later.

Farming egg vermifuge from tree lizards in Dark Souls.
Also getting to the Iron Keep boss in Dark Souls 2, because of the enemy placement and I kinda missed the last bonfire (where you can disable the fire traps), so I always started from the one before it. :D

Aranjah

Rep grinding in WoW through the years. It's easier now than it's ever been, and it's STILL a tedious, boring grind.

Wiped89

When it comes to Pokemon, where to start?

I remember hatching eggs on Sapphire by leaving a rock perched on top of my GBA to take steps against a bike dirt waterfall (which worked and counted as steps) on many, many occasions.

I remember taking Registeel through the Elite 4 more than 100 times to get it to Level 100; it had a non attacking moveset (Toxic/Iron Defence etc) and grew VERY slowly, less than a third of a level per elite 4 by the time it hit the 80s. Took hundreds of hours, back in the days before Exp share or lucky egg.

Recently I spent about 10 hours finding a Harvest Exeggcute in X by searching hordes with a Skill swapping Hoopa (5% chance to find an Exeggcute horde, another 5% chance one of the five will have the hidden ability).

ZalXII

FFXIII Farming gold Nuggets and stuff on the back of the chocobo for gil in Chapter 11 during a NCU Challenge. Took 65 hours of tedius farming the same route over and over.

Tagyhag

Getting 99 Prayer and Runecrafting in Runescape.

I could have probably learned a language with the time wasted.

I don't remember how many, but I ended up crafting a lot of daggers in Skyrim in order to get my Blacksmithing maxed. I ended up doing this 4 times on 4 different characters.

But, that comes second to farming Timbermaw rep in vanilla WoW. Holy shit a lot of my young teenage years were lost to those fucking furry bear things.

The only time I've ever actually nodded off while playing a game was unfortunately FF13.. can't remember which portion of the game it was, but it was before you reach the open Plains area.

I think I just underestimated, heavily, how much running in a straight line there was :-(

cakely

Also, more recently than EQ ... getting pretty much any higher-level badge in Ingress.

Ingress may be the grindiest game I have ever played, it's clear that that designers had absolutely no idea what they were doing when they came up with the required numbers for the badges.

Also, people calling leveling up in Destiny a grind? You sweet summer children. Even getting the 10 mats for the exotic sword took about an hour and a half and in terms of grinding that's absolutely nothing.

Played through Dragon Quest VII which involved my taking a year long break from it before I finished it or did everything in Just Cause 2 though thankfully I also took my time with that. Playing WoW and it's bajillion fetch quests.

Top Bottom