• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'mother!' earns rare F CinemaScore

Link.

yykno.jpg

Not even Jennifer Lawrence could win over CinemaScore audiences with mother! Her new ‘WTF’ film with director (and current boyfriend) Darren Aronofsky earned a dreaded F from the movie polling company after Friday night screenings.

'mother!' had a positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes (69 percent of critics gave the film a positive review), but audiences revolted against Aronofsky’s film, which mixes broad religious allegory with home-invasion horror and ends with a sequence of shocking, R-rated violence. The overall rejection might have something to do with how the film was marketed, as CinemaScore founder Ed Mintz explained in a 2016 interview about his company.

“A’s generally are good, B’s generally are shaky, and C’s are terrible. D’s and F’s, they shouldn’t have made the movie, or they promoted it funny and the absolute wrong crowd got into it,” he said.

CinemaScore grades films based on reactions from moviegoers at the start of opening weekend at theaters across North America and Canada with a ballot of six questions. Other movies with an F grade include Andrew Dominik’s 'Killing Them Softly', Richard Kelly’s 'The Box', 'I Know Who Killed Me' with Lindsay Lohan, William Friedkin’s 'Bug', Greg McLean’s 'Wolf Creek', Steven Soderbergh’s 'Solaris', and Robert Altman’s 'Dr. T and the Women'.

So, mother!‘s F grade doesn’t necessarily mean it’s dead in the water upon arrival, but rather it’s a reflection of how the first audiences are responding to the work’s high concepts compared with the movie promised via its trailer. Critics are still figuring it all out.

robotrock

Banned
I'm a member of the audience and I loved it.
I think it's more saying the marketing got the wrong crowd in, since the score is an aggregate of reviews from people who went to see it.
Yeah that makes more sense. I try my best to avoid the marketing, but I get it.

I remember seeing It Comes at Night earlier this year, and was shocked to see a lot of very negative audience reactions. I guess it was marketed more as a regular horror movie?

Paramount really fucked up with the marketing of this picture. The film should have been marketed as a more niche artsy-horror title instead of a mass-market picture. The same mis-marketing happened to "The VVitch" and "It Comes At Night" too, and both got mediocre Cinemascores as well.

robotrock

Banned
American Assaasin got a B+ from Cinema scores, Mother got an F.

Hadn't heard of the site before today but now it all makes sense.

robotrock

Banned
Paramount really fucked up with the marketing of this picture. The film should have been marketed as a more niche artsy-horror title instead of a mass-market picture. The same mis-marketing happened to "The VVitch" and "It Comes At Night" too, and both got mediocre Cinemascores as well.
The movie will get its audience. This approach probably did way better for Paramount too I'm assuming, financially.

edit: whoops on the double post fellas

I thought the movie was great, and I only felt better about it after reading more about it.

And also they don't really take "reviews" from the crowd. They catch people as they leave and get their take. The audience isn't writing reviews.

The movie will get its audience. This approach probably did way better for Paramount too I'm assuming, financially.

edit: whoops on the double post fellas
Not really, Deadline reports the film is tanking.

Well, it’s clear: Moviegoers officially hate Darren Aronofsky’s Mother! The film scored a rare F grade from CinemaScore audiences last night, and there were many rivals heading into the weekend who were expecting that type of reaction. As we heard at noon, the bold Jennifer Lawrence pic is crashing well below its projections with an estimated $7.8M in third. When compared to her wide releases in their first weekend (1,000-plus theaters), it’s the lowest opening for Lawrence, even lower than her 2012 Relativity horror movie The House at the End of the Street ($12.3M).

Hell yeah! I really, really like the movie and think this is kinda fitting. There should always be space for weird, challenging, surreal cinema in the mainstream I feel.

Bug is the best film on that list.

And... Wolf Creek? Not that it's great but I just don't see what could be so divisive about it.
Bug is fantastic. Killing Them Softly is really good as well, and I'm pretty fond of Soderbergh's Solaris, it's not Tarkovsky's but it's going for a fundamentally different style and pulls it off pretty well.

Dan-o

Cinemascore ballots look like this:

Makes sense that people felt duped by the marketing, BUT marketing it as anything other than horror would have been a bigger mistake, given the graphic imagery in the film.

I look forward to a fan made trailer making it look like a light hearted comedy.
"Get off my sink!" ;)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cinemascore ballots look like this:

Makes sense that people felt duped by the marketing, BUT marketing it as anything other than horror would have been a bigger mistake, given the graphic imagery in the film.

I look forward to a fan made trailer making it look like a light hearted comedy.
"Get off my sink!" ;)
Hold it, this is not a horror film? I was intending to watch it, but I feel kind of duped now.

wazoo

I am more interested in a movie getting a F from the wrong crowd that movies targeted to get a A from EVERY crowd.

Dan-o

Hold it, this is not a horror film? I was intending to watch it, but I feel kind of duped now.
I maintain that it still kind of is one... but most others disagree I guess. I found it super tense... so more of a thriller...? It's... complicated to describe.

Not really? It's kinda uncategorizable though, I don't really know how you would market it. It's kind of a hyper-surreal psychological thriller/incredibly black comedy with some Cronenberg-y body horror elements, it's more Luis Bunuel or David Lynch than it is a quote-unquote horror movie.

shaneo632

Killing them Softly and Wolf Creek were Fs? What crack were those people smoking, those are great films.

Again it comes down to marketing in the case of Killing them Softly. It was sold as a broad crime thriller with Brad Pitt shooting lots of people, which it isn't.

American Assaasin got a B+ from Cinema scores, Mother got an F.

Hadn't heard of the site before today but now it all makes sense.

It's a site that collects reviews from mainstream casual movie audiences. It's not meant to be a site for in-depth movie reviews. Just quick audience reactions.

This looks fucking atrocious.

Movies continue to be the least-appealing medium to me.
I'm confused by this statement.
The trailer before "It" was embarrassing. I knew that the film was an arthouse movie but that trailer made it look like a big mainstream horror movie. The narrator was saying "THE SCARIEST MOVIE EVER", "REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE WHEN YOU SAW MOTHER" and "BUY YOUR TICKETS AFTER THE MOVIE"

I'm 100% unsurprised, people were duped, just like It Comes At Night & The Witch.

All these art horror movies are being advertised as "THE SCARIEST THING YOU WILL EVER SEE" and it's beginning to backfire on them.

At one point, the house set randomly turn into a rave party (this is just the midpoint of the movie). If Aronofsky doesn't care about continuity of his movie, he shouldn't care about the scores. Scores are meaningless right?

I thought the movie was great, and I only felt better about it after reading more about it.

And also they don't really take "reviews" from the crowd. They catch people as they leave and get their take. The audience isn't writing reviews.

Ditto the bolded.

Watched the movie then read an article where they question the director and then it all made sense.

The last 25 minutes of the movie was when I started connecting some dots that the whole thing was very symbolic....i made the connection that
the house was an extension of her but the biblical references completely flew over my head until
I read the directors thoughts

caliph95

I'm confused by this statement.

All these art horror movies are being advertised as "THE SCARIEST THING YOU WILL EVER SEE" and it's beginning to backfire on them.
Hollywood doesn't know how to market them but likely think that more people are willing to go see a standard horror film than an art horror film

They're probably not wrong but WOM doesn't help the movies

Top Bottom