• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount Ontake erupts in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/27/us-japan-volcano-idUSKCN0HM04V20140927
"Seven people were lightly injured and one person suffered serious injuries as a result of the eruption," Makoto Hasegawa of the Nagano prefecture fire department told Reuters.
The volcano, located in central Japan, erupted at 11:53 a.m. Saturday. Twitter user @setori_ posted a photo from the volcano crater just moments before the eruption.
BygeSPYCcAAN9sw.jpg

Person hasn't tweeted since that picture. Hopefully they are ok

Footage of hikers having to flee down the mountain as eruption starts. Scary stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ea3uED1Zgc

update:
@SkyNewsBreak 5m
Update - AP reports Japanese police say more than 30 people believed dead have been found on erupting volcano Mount Ontake

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's a historic day in Sumo and they're currently showing news instead. Thanks a lot, Earth :mad:

Dice//

Banned
One of the mixed blessings with all this tech is the ability to capture just about everything --- for better (some funny thing) or worse (when you have to run like hell from an erupting volcano)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The ash covered buildings near the peak that NHK is showing look pretty cool.

Still barfing up ash.

Clydefrog

i've seen shows about volcanic eruptions.. i would have thought that was a pyroclastic flow coming right for me and I would have downright shat my pants.

GorillaJu

Am I misreading that? To me it sounds like 30 people who were believed to be dead were found, not that the bodies of 30 people were found.

antonz

Looks like its just semantics based on this
The hikers were not breathing and their hearts had stopped, reports said. Final confirmation of death in Japan always comes via a medical examination.

They could be revived perhaps but im guessing the toxic fumes and ash did major damage to their lungs and suffocated them

GorillaJu

Ah okay. Understood now.

My mom called me this morning in tears like she did after the earthquake because she has no concept of how big Japan is and thinks every time there's a problem here that I'm hurt and/or dead.

Evo X

That video is scary as shit. Can't imagine what would be going through my head if I saw that massive wall of death heading my way.

slit

I hope the people of Nagoya are not in trouble. That volcano is about as far from a major city as Mount Rainier is from Seattle.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
i've seen shows about volcanic eruptions.. i would have thought that was a pyroclastic flow coming right for me and I would have downright shat my pants.
Pretty much. I'd probably be going down the mountain so fast I'd end up rolling.

B.O.O.M

Can someone help me...My brother lives in Nagoya. He is safe yeah? I mean his area won't be affected by this right? I know I'm most likely being paranoid here

I was planning on climbing it later in October. My heart goes out to those who seem to have not made it. Reports of cardiac arrest are kind of vague. They most likely didn't make it if they can't get down on their own. The fumes and pyroclastic cloud must have been too much to endure.

I've done hikes on a fair share of volcanic mountain trails in Japan but never really believed they'd ever erupt while anyone was on it. Quite a naive way of thinking but that's humanity I guess. Just deal with life as it comes to you.

I woke up to fine dust on my cars and veranda this morning, apparently it is the volcanic ash that made it all the way you to central Yamanashi. I hope Fuji doesn't go in my lifetime. Japan definitely isn't prepared despite plans and drills.

Man that video, I wouldn't be surprised is some of them had a "life flashing before your eyes" moment right before the cloud enveloped them.
So lucky it wasn't the vaporising kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom