• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Move over, dinosaur feathers: T. Rex lips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha wow that's terrifying! It kind of makes me wonder what some species in the future after humanity has died off would make of us if they only had our fossilized bones to work with.
Something like this maybe?
homo_sapiens__gsp_style_by_nemo_ramjet-d4h54q9.png

Anyway, dinosaurs with lips isn't a new idea, really. It's kind of gone back and forth for a long while. Most dinosaurs today are depicted without lips because they can typically trace their paleoart origins to Gregory S. Paul, who popularized the sort of emaciated, lipless eighties styled dinosaurs that Jurassic Park made mainstream.

kswiston

Haha wow that's terrifying! It kind of makes me wonder what some species in the future after humanity has died off would make of us if they only had our fossilized bones to work with.

We can see what dessicated humans look like from mummies. If mammals srill existed perhaps they would assume humans had fur.

Marine Iguanas have lips, and they look pretty damn cool with them:

6rGcU0U.jpg

Also, you're saying a T.rex could do this?

ezgif-4142786605.gif

I can't say this detracts from the cool factor at all.

antonz

Only one guy claims that scavenger bullshit, and it's not taken seriously.

He has even admitted that he really doesn't believe the theory. He presents it to create scientific debate instead of just everyone nodding in agreement.

krang

Reisz said the popular depiction in movies such as the Jurassic Park franchise has annoyed him “for a very long time because there is no real biology behind it.”

I'm glad scientists don't make movies, and are only "consulted".

krang

Something like this maybe?
homo_sapiens__gsp_style_by_nemo_ramjet-d4h54q9.png

I had a dinosaur book when I was a kid that had a segment about the evolution of Troodon without having been made extinct, into an advanced, human-esque form, that looked remarkably similar to that. Creepy as all hell to an 8 year old.

For creepy-ass reference:

troodon-full.jpeg

Toxi

Banned
I had a dinosaur book when I was a kid that had a segment about the evolution of Troodon without having been made extinct, into an advanced, human-esque form, that looked remarkably similar to that. Creepy as all hell to an 8 year old.

For creepy-ass reference:

troodon-full.jpeg
It should be noted that this concept is a hilariously human-centric view of evolution. Dinosaurs like troodon that evolved to be more intelligent exist today; they're called birds. A human-intelligence dinosaur is more likely to look like a crow than a weird scaley goblin-looking thing.

I mean, to be fair, they aren't technically real dinosaurs. As Wu admits in the fourth film, they're basically theme park monsters meant to capture what the public thinks dinosaurs looked like.

I was being quite sarcastic :p I defend the Jurassic movies on that level.

It should be noted that this concept is a hilariously human-centric view of evolution. Dinosaurs like troodon that evolved to be more intelligent exist today; they're called birds. A human-intelligence dinosaur is more likely to look like a crow than a weird scaley goblin-looking thing.

the_return_of_the_dinosauroids_by_nemo_ramjet.png

C.M. Koseman has all of these bases covered.

Asbel

I'm thinking the humanoid form would only happen if quadrupeds evolved into tree dwellers that then evolved into bipeds.

psylah

Furries, scalies... what is the furry variation for fishes? birds? Also, is that Mana in your avatar?

Sharkies and avians or something like that.

And it's Kaya. He performed in Schwarz Stein on Midi:Nette label back in the day but now he does whatevs.

the_return_of_the_dinosauroids_by_nemo_ramjet.png

C.M. Koseman has all of these bases covered.

"0% primate-chauvinism detected!"

This artwork is sooooo cool!
I absolutely love the cave art.

Edit: Can I also say how much I love that this sapient theropod is manipulating tools with it's mouth? One of the biggest examples of "primate-chavinism" I see is this idea that mouths and tongues can't evolve to be as dexterous as hands and fingers because...you know...we're flat faced primates with small relatively pathetic teeth (even within our own taxonomic family), and small tongues who's whole taxonomic order- or at least the vast majority of it- relies on doing things with their hands.
:p

Mumei

Yep this was it! I believe there was a drawing of a hippo done in the same manner and it looked like a totally different creature without the meaty parts.

Edit: Here is a cat drawn like a dinosaur and its pretty gnarly

1879hkw0ymnkbjpg.jpg

Of course there is also this great picture:

AeXsjyi.jpg

There's an entire book on the subject:

51cf6ssbOQL.jpg

When it says "animals drawn like dinosaurs" it's talking about the extreme conservatism in how dinosaurs are represented as "shrink wrapped" with the outlines of skull bones visible, and with very conservative guesses on soft tissue.

It also has more imaginative pictures of what different dinosaurs could have looked like, too:
8300869735_31fe2a085a.jpg

Therizosaurus

8301923382_acd249d5a1_z.jpg

Leaellynasaura

ay_parasaurolophus.jpeg

Parasaurolophus

original.jpg

Tyrannosaurus rex

And so forth. It's really interesting stuff.

I always assumed that T-rexes had lips, but that every depiction just has them growling and baring their teeth since it's cooler looking.

Mumei

uhhhh yeah, no.

baboon

that is not drawn strictly by bone structure...

It makes more sense when you read the explanation:

Venomous Baboons?

Modern paleontology has its fair share of strange and outlandish hypotheses floating around, and these frequently find their way into artwork and illustrations. What kinds of strange and uninformed hypotheses might be formulated about present day animals?

Lacking any and all knowledge of the thick woolly coats and brightly coloured, naked skin patches and large guts of living baboons, it seems plausible that these lightly built, long-muzzled, fanged primates would be reconstructed as gracile terrestrial predators. Furthermore, those giant fangs have grooves running down their sides - a feature normally regarded as a key signature of the ability to produce venom, and inject it into the tissues of other animals. Perhaps the complicated nasal sinuses of baboons might be interpreted as a space for venom glands.

Baboons, of course, are not venomous, quite why they have fang grooves isn't clear. Knowing this, suggestions of venomosity sound more than a little preposterous. However, it will be surprising to know that very similar theories have been proposed for quite a few fossil animals: the most notorious recent example being the bird-like theropod dinosaurs Sinorithosaurus. This hypothesis was later rebuked by a number of experts, but not before it had been reported by a number of media sources as a legitimate discovery.

Thus, this case also illustrates the importance of proper science reporting in facilitating or limiting the spread of untrue or unproven ideas.

They are basically examples of the way that modern animals could be misinterpreted based on the limited data we would have from their bones alone - and can be taken as examples of how far off our inferences might be (though not necessarily are) for actual long extinct animals.

Though the baboon image does have venom dripping from the canines in a humorous reference to erroneous speculations about theropod dinosaurs with venom.

Didn't see that your post. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom