• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies with altered production company logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

I just watched Déjà Vu (film was ok). During the beginning as the production company logo animations were playing, it looped them a couple times each, obviously as a play to the movie coming up.

It reminded me that a few movies have done this for playful effect.

For example, the matrix opens with the standard Warner brothers logo, but in green with an interlaced effect.

I know there are loads more - what are some of your favourites?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Warner Bros did it a lot with the HP movies

Warner+bros+rusting+in+harry+potter+this+is+every+warner_936c3c_4031247.png

WPS

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World starts off with a retraux low-res filter over the Universal Logo, complete with a chiptune rendition of the fanfare. It's a pretty great way of setting the tone for the whole movie.

For bonus points, the regular fanfare turns up later to introduce the movie star character. I always wondered whether that was an artistic choice (it does fit pretty well) or if they were contractually obliged to have the fanfare unaltered at least somewhere.

120v

i read Universal used to be really weird about letting directors do this. i guess by the 90s or so they stopped caring

The first one I remember was for X2, I think, when the "X" in "FOX" stayed on the screen just a little bit longer after everything else faded out.

obin_gam

The Disney castle is by far the best company logo there is. Beautiful, epic, playful, stoic, eventful and simple at the same time.

GW375H292
GW448H252

GW426H240
GW434H244

GW521H220
GW513H202

Om88r0XrrOsxDKmV3mE8XQ139828
GW581H245

GW581H252
GW411H231

GW425H239

SJRB

Gold Member
I always really liked the FOX Searchlight logo transition into the sun in the movie Sunshine.

You see the FOX logo, then it sways around and focusses on the sun, starts zooming in for a pretty long time, and then it turns out it's actually the Icarus solar shield reflection.

It's simple but really neat.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The Dreamworks fishing-boy-sitting-on-the-moon in sepia before Gladiator is one of my favorites. Just a nice touch to show the audience we're in antiquity.

NekoFever

One of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (maybe even all of them) has a Jolly Roger flag on top of the Disney castle at the beginning.

The Universal logo in Brüno says Üniversal.

Tron Legacy is probably my favourite, though. That looks so good.

How do the altered logos work from a legal perspective? Like, can the director do whatever he wants with it, or does it have to be proposed to some board of directors who have to sign off on it?

NekoFever

How do the altered logos work from a legal perspective? Like, can the director do whatever he wants with it, or does it have to be proposed to some board of directors who have to sign off on it?
They need permission to do it. Not sure who exactly has to give permission.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can anyone identify all the movies these belong to?
I'm wondering if the 4th one, with the corrupted 8-bit graphics, is Wreck-it Ralph?

But yeah, can someone identify them all? I'm curious. Is there somewhere to watch them all on YouTube?

I'm sure there's plenty of paperwork. But I'd bet it's pretty easy to get permission if you're the director. As long as it's still identifiable as the studio there's no problem.

There was a great (if mildly sexist) one from back in the day for the movie The Mouse That Roared where the lady in the Columbia logo sees a mouse scurry past her pedestal, panics and runs off screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom