• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies with the best and most epic battle scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, it's not "Lord of the rings".
I just watched Braveheart for the fifth time but I haven't seen this movie for the last five years.
And holy shit...wow....Mel Gibson did an outstanding job. Amazing scenes, incredible brutal and realistic.
And the score...goosebumps everywhere.

braveheart-battle.jpg

Corpsepyre

Banned
While it's not exactly 'epic' in the way you are wanting, but the intro to Saving Private Ryan trumps a LOT of the movies out there.

EBE

Gladiator - Germania
Saving Private Ryan - D-Day
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Union/Confederate battle

Good battle scenes shouldn't just have lots of impact and brutality, they also need to impart a really strong sense of geography, of tactics making a difference, of who's winning and why. As such, Helm's Deep still really takes the cake for me (and the RotK Battle of the Pelennor Fields is just a poorly-directed bummer in comparison).

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I liked the final "battle" of the stargate movie a lot

Braveheart had awesome battle scenes

I always find Ridley scott battle scenes to have great poster shots but the acutal choreography is mediocre.

Miguel81

Ran is amazing and a great epic. I really need to see Kingdom of Heaven sometime soon.

If you can, get the Blu-ray. It was a revelation after having the trimmed version on HBO. A lot of it doesn't make sense otherwise, and the picture/sound are superb.

Phloxy

Even though it's a tv show, Spartacus when it had big battles were always extremely well done, story wise and battle wise.

Nope, it's not "Lord of the rings".
I just watched Braveheart for the fifth time but I haven't seen this movie for the last five years.
And holy shit...wow....Mel Gibson did an outstanding job. Amazing scenes, incredible brutal and realistic.
And the score...goosebumps everywhere.

First 15 minutes of saving private ryan

Came into this thread for any of the TLotR battles and Ran. Left satisfied.

EDIT:

It's a stretch, but I'll add the village defense in Seven Samurai as well. Yeah, it's more like a series of skirmishes, but still pretty epic and ultimately heart-breaking.

I mean:

sevensamurai.jpg

Yeah Braveheart is really awesome, but LOTR is just one step above anything else.

The cinematography is painting-tier, the music is Shore-tier and the direction is unbelievable in how it deals with space and classic story themes.
It's the definition of epic, which is an overused term.

I don't think it will ever be topped during my lifetime.

First 15 minutes of saving private ryan

Yeah I see where you're coming from. But as a german guy I must say that I don't like this movie. It's too one-sided (like all Spielberg movies). Of course WWII was one of the worst things ever happened but most of the time you only see american soldiers getting killed in the worst possible way (+ crying, screaming, etc etc). What about the other nations? Or germans? The first 15 minutes are shocking though.
At the same time the brutality of Braveheart relates to both sides (english, scottish and even irish people). It's just more realistic, imo. I mean....William Wallace is supposed to be the "good guy" but you see more english soldiers getting killed and slayed than scottish or irish people. It's clever. The battles feel ....natural...if it makes any sense (Sorry I can't find other words to describe it)?

Shun

Miike Takashi always has some great battle scenes.

Non-CG; Live Action
~Crows Zero
tumblr_mvss5vqou91rlfjfao1_500.gif

~13 Assassins
tumblr_m5vvamOgA21qlh9eeo1_500.gif

tumblr_lq71iyykBs1qe2fnco1_500.gif

~Rurouni Kenshin Live Action
tumblr_n2so9oqv5s1sle12oo1_500.gif

They're coming out with two more sequels so there's some more over the top action.

~Django Unchained
tumblr_mzchcdDZ7B1sm82c3o1_500.gif

There are a ton of movies but they end up too NSFW for GAF.

The destruction of the third castle in Ran is an amazing scene. I'm not sure it's epic in the same way other movies being listed are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom