• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
srXwcnA.gif

★★★★☆ / From straight lines on a screen to glorious ribbons of light
Hell yeah. I’m due for a rewatch.

Andyliini

The Creator

I enjoyed the trailer, and thought about seeing it in movies. In the end, I didn't and it was probably the right choice. The film was far too long and slogged on for the most of the way, without anything interesting actually happening. Visuals were good, but that's probably the only positive I can say about it. Pretty bad film, I can see why masses weren't interested in it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Fall Guy - I enjoyed it and it was a fun movie with good music and lots of acting. The Stinger at the end and the credits were fun too.

Rocinante618

Neo Member
Alienoid & Alienoid 2 (KOREAN)

Batshit crazy with a medium level of cringe but lol, funny. The genre mix of science fiction x mythology was interesting. Much better than 3-body problem (the Netflix show, not book series).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Jules was a quirky. Film really enjoyed. It.
Also Jerry and marge go large.

I watched they live again really really loved that. Couldn’t believe piper was about 34 in that movie he looked so much older.

Other than that. I can’t remember anything else sticking out.

Puscifer

I'm late to the game but damn, Sicario is great! The way Emily Blunts character was a stand in for the audience experiencing the chaos unfolding was a smart move when the twist of who the real main character was the entire time.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Seize Them - This was ok. Pretty paint by the numbers. Also has an actress that is always showing her two front teeth.

I'm late to the game but damn, Sicario is great! The way Emily Blunts character was a stand in for the audience experiencing the chaos unfolding was a smart move when the twist of who the real main character was the entire time.
If you haven't seen Wind River or Hell or High Water, I highly recommend both. They don't have Denis Villenevue directing, but they're also written by Taylor Sheridan. Dude has a way of wiritng really immersive movies that hit hard.

Last edited:

RaduN

Starship Troopers

Shower scene

It's not a good movie but I love it.
What's not good about it.
I mean, it has a shit ton of style, and not lacking in substance either. Also it has great effects (they hold up even now), absolutely fantastic ost, and surprisingly good/great acting from those B-movie actors.

I don't think it's a good movie. It's a great one.

I mean, it has a shit ton of style, and not lacking in substance either. Also it has great effects (they hold up even now), absolutely fantastic ost, and surprisingly good/great acting from those B-movie actors.

It's one of my favourites. RLM do a great break down of it.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

I enjoy certain elements of it - especially its highlighting of how young men and women can naively view joining a popular new authoritarian and fascist movement as appealing, even romantic.

Paul Verhoeven wanted to make such a movie about three German youths during the rise of the Nazi's, but couldn't get it made at the time. His long time fellow creator later found out that the rights were available to adapt the book for his idea, and that's why this movie exists. It is an obvious inspiration for the satirical Hell Divers franchise after all.

But technically and structurally, I just think the film has a lot of issues. It's an enjoyable movie on a shallow level, sure, but whatever.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Out of Sight (1998)

I wish I had watched this years ago. It's a very interesting take on a romantic vehicle, as it blends romcom with crime-heist effectively. The way it exudes Soderbergh's style is the cherry on the cake.

Out of Sight (1998)

I wish I had watched this years ago. It's a very interesting take on a romantic vehicle, as it blends romcom with crime-heist effectively. The way it exudes Soderbergh's style is the cherry on the cake.
It is an entertaining film but I think 2001's Bandits (starring Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, and Kate Blanchett) did the things you describe a lot better.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Abigail (2024).

SHAME ON YOU MARKETING.

You decided to pussy out and reveal your punchline like the pussies you are.

I saw From Dusk Till Dawn in theatres without knowing what it was all about.
I just liked Rodriguez and wanted to see his new movie.

Even with social media you could have had the balls to wrap this in a bit of mystery but no, word of mouth would have been so fun.

Movie 7/10

Marketing go fuck yourselves.

BadBurger

Madame Webb

One of the worst constructed big-budget films I've ever seen. The dialog is truly awful. All of the characters, including even background characters, never interact with one another in natural ways. The plot is an aneurysm.

As a fan of the whole Spider-Man universe since I was a child, I really wish Sony would sell the property rights back to Marvel. They churn out the worst dreck. I can only imagine how bad Kraven is.

Beau is Afraid

I loved Hereditary. Quite liked Midsommar. Overall I didn't like Beau is Afraid even though it's skillfully made and there are individual parts that were great.

I took the things happening onscreen literally, i.e., it's not like Beau is a paranoid schizophrenic imagining things. It was interesting, funny, and tense at first watching irrational anxieties (many I have myself) play out in reality, but once he gets to the woods maybe 80 minutes in, it lost me.

Still onboard to watch whatever full-length feature Ari Aster makes next, but, yeah, this was about an hour too long.

Beau is Afraid

I loved Hereditary. Quite liked Midsommar. Overall I didn't like Beau is Afraid even though it's skillfully made and there are individual parts that were great.

I took the things happening onscreen literally, i.e., it's not like Beau is a paranoid schizophrenic imagining things. It was interesting, funny, and tense at first watching irrational anxieties (many I have myself) play out in reality, but once he gets to the woods maybe 80 minutes in, it lost me.

Still onboard to watch whatever full-length feature Ari Aster makes next, but, yeah, this was about an hour too long.

I enjoyed the movie but it should have been just two hours

Last edited:

Andyliini

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Just came out of theater a few hours ago. I watched on the biggest screen available, and the film looked great. I personally did not notice that much of obvious CGI, though I did in the trailers. It works as a prequel and gives more depth to Furiosa's character. I's say it's my favorite film of the franchise, although I'm not the greatest fan of the series. It was a ticket well spent. Maybe I could have takes less revving of engines, but at least the two and half ours went by in a flash.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Just came out of theater a few hours ago. I watched on the biggest screen available, and the film looked great. I personally did not notice that much of obvious CGI, though I did in the trailers. It works as a prequel and gives more depth to Furiosa's character. I's say it's my favorite film of the franchise, although I'm not the greatest fan of the series. It was a ticket well spent. Maybe I could have takes less revving of engines, but at least the two and half ours went by in a flash.

How gory is it? 👀 👀 👀

Cure (The 1997 Kurosawa movie)

So glad to have discovered today that this movie exists. I don't want to spoil it because I knew nothing about it going in except that it was a horror movie and supposedly kicked off the J-Horror explosion of the late 90s. Check it out if that sounds like it's your kind of thing.

BadBurger

Free State of Jones

It's an entertaining and informative historical drama. It felt overlong, as if I was watching something for high school history class with its extended exposition. I also thought Matthew McConaughey (lead) came on a bit too intense. Certainly not Nic Cage levels, but it was close.

3/5 I suppose.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ministry of ungentlemanly warfare

While not inglorious basterds level of snappy dialogue it has some great action.

A great film. Based on betting rather loosely on a real life ww2 operation

And not as I first thought this book.

Which would have made a great film as well.

Either way. It’s is a great film. I liked it.

INC

On a Korean tip atm

The gangster, the cop and the devil

Pretty good little thriller, 6/10

And Unstoppable

Weird mix of humour action and thriller.

5.5/10

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Just watched Atlas and really wish I didn't. J-Lo was absolutely horrible in this, script was pure nonsense, and why have a movie about A.I. set on some barren planet in the Andromeda System (which they reach in like a couple of hours, shattering any suspension of disbelief you might have maintained until that point.

Avoid at all costs.

Biff

Furiosa (2024) - Great film that unfortunately fails to rise to the level of Fury Road. That's not necessarily a bad thing - Fury Road is easily one of the best movies of the 2010's - so falling short of that still allows Furiosa to be an excellent movie. If you liked Fury Road, you will also like Furiosa and the ticket is worth the cost. My biggest dig on this one is the CGI. It was really obvious in several scenes and took me out of the moment as Fury Road was the exact opposite - physical effects that draw you deeper into the moment. I didn't know about the CGI coming in, so it was a surprise disappointment.

Civil War (2024) - Loved it but this film is not for everyone. Alex Garland's direction is flawless - and this is coming from someone who thought Ex Machina was super overrated. Kirsten Dunst is perfectly cast. Story is simple in premise; the execution of it is where the value of this film is derived. Also really strong The Last of Us vibes throughout, which didn't come through in the trailers at all.

Top Bottom