• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies you have seen recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FnordChan

5102PH8707L.jpg

Last night my movie group watched Alfred Cheung's On The Run (1988), and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It stars Yuen Biao as a somewhat hapless cop whose ex-wife is assassinated. He tracks down the assassin (Pat Ha, sporting an awesome retro hairdo), but they both wind up on the lam together, trying to get away from corrupt cops and all sorts of violence. On The Run has the look (and perhaps a bit of the feel) of a heroic bloodshed flick, but it's more of a film noir than anything else, with some bizarre scenes that may or may not have been attempts at comedy thrown in for good measure. It's also very violent, even by the standards of late-80s HK action flicks. Overall, I liked it very much, though there were times when I was more confused than anything else. Admittedly, the subtitles on the Tai Seng DVD release didn't help matters, but they were serviceable enough.

FnordChan

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
eXistenZ: Well I knew what was going on the whole time because I've seen all the other movies that use the same idea, so what I was left with was just a bunch of gross ass Cronenberg stuff. Jennifer Jason Leigh is awful in this. Still kinda cool though, not a terrible movie.

American: The Bill Hicks Story: Very slick. Never been a huge Hicks fan but it was fairly interesting. It's pretty thorough too since, you know, there wasn't a lot of a life to cover.

The Hunt For Red October: Still holds up. The "zoom in to Russian mouth and now they're speaking English" was absolute cheese but I can understand Connery not wanting to have to work for his money. We need more movies where someone says "mother of God" 100% seriously.

drugstore_cowboy said:
Dissapointing compared to The Hustler or just in general?

I felt the movie never built any momentum and had no natural flow to it. Disappointing in general, I guess.

Borgnine said:
eXistenZ: Well I knew what was going on the whole time because I've seen all the other movies that use the same idea, so what I was left with was just a bunch of gross ass Cronenberg stuff. Jennifer Jason Leigh is awful in this. Still kinda cool though, not a terrible movie.

Agreed. I felt like it was interesting at times but it was basically a decent actor and a terrible one kind of stumbling through a bunch of loose plot with piles of symbolism attached.

FnordChan said:
5102PH8707L.jpg

Last night my movie group watched Alfred Cheung's On The Run (1988), and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It stars Yuen Biao as a somewhat hapless cop whose ex-wife is assassinated. He tracks down the assassin (Pat Ha, sporting an awesome retro hairdo), but they both wind up on the lam together, trying to get away from corrupt cops and all sorts of violence. On The Run has the look (and perhaps a bit of the feel) of a heroic bloodshed flick, but it's more of a film noir than anything else, with some bizarre scenes that may or may not have been attempts at comedy thrown in for good measure. It's also very violent, even by the standards of late-80s HK action flicks. Overall, I liked it very much, though there were times when I was more confused than anything else. Admittedly, the subtitles on the Tai Seng DVD release didn't help matters, but they were serviceable enough.

FnordChan
Sounds like something I might like.

KidDork

Taken

Finally got around to seeing this. Was a little too built up for me. Liam Neeson is great at throat punching, but God, his daughter was just annoying. She either giggled, skipped, screamed, or cried. The action scenes were fine, but for me, the fight scenes in The Bourne Identity have yet to be surpassed. Famke Jannsen was wasted as a one note harpie. I hope it was a decent paycheque.

The only surprise in the whole film was the
poor innocent wife of the French cop getting shot in the arm. 'It's only a flesh wound!'
. And yet, for all its formula, I enjoyed it. It's fading in my memory fast, but the ride was fun.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
swoon said:
the OP should have a twitter list as well.

Movies You Have Seen Recently OT2: The Recentlying

I'm putting together the new thread, so gimme some Twitter stuff and whatever else you guys would like in the OP.

Strangers on a Train

Am I the only person who found the climax/showdown to be one the cheesiest things ever shown in a movie? I mean it was ridiculous! I did enjoy
the cuts between the tennis match and Bruno trying to get to the amusement park and losing the lighter

And the look on Barbara's face every time Bruno saw her was pretty funny too.
Who wouldn't want to faint at the idea of strangling Hitchcock's own daughter?
>_>

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hm, I'll put links in for the movie tracking sites and stuff like that, but since I don't know who's who on those sites, maybe you can all list your usernames in the initial posts for the new thread and I'll add them as we go.

Erasus

xjEIY.jpg

Sucker Punch (Extended Version!)

It was better than I expected. Amazing production, the CGI, the fight scenes, woah! But the story was actually also ok. Soundtrack was pretty ballin too :D
So the brothel/dance club is just a way for her to cope with being in a mental asylum and the action dreams are her way of coping of being in a dance /sex club? But it seems she actually does the things, like the lighter was gone, the chefs knife was gone and the boss had a stab wound. And that girl also escaped fo realz?

If you like hot girls, fantasy over the top action = 9/10

If you want great acting, amazing story, dialogue = 2/10

swoon

Cosmic Bus said:
Hm, I'll put links in for the movie tracking sites and stuff like that, but since I don't know who's who on those sites, maybe you can all list your usernames in the initial posts for the new thread and I'll add them as we go.

thanks for pulling this together!

my twitter is

pkpatnaik

MMaRsu

Banned
Erasus said:
xjEIY.jpg

Sucker Punch (Extended Version!)

It was better than I expected. Amazing production, the CGI, the fight scenes, woah! But the story was actually also ok. Soundtrack was pretty ballin too :D
So the brothel/dance club is just a way for her to cope with being in a mental asylum and the action dreams are her way of coping of being in a dance /sex club? But it seems she actually does the things, like the lighter was gone, the chefs knife was gone and the boss had a stab wound. And that girl also escaped fo realz?

If you like hot girls, fantasy over the top action = 9/10

If you want great acting, amazing story, dialogue = 2/10

I think everytime she does her dance, she's in therapy with that polish doctor. Because at the beginning when you meet her first, you'll hear that music as well.

Could be wrong :p.

Dries

CaptYamato said:
and I watched the uncut version of Suicide Club today. Pretty average. 5/10

That freak at the bowling alley was fucking creepy though.. That song..... *shudders*

MMaRsu

Banned
_dementia said:
True Grit.

Best supporting actress? Really?

Yea, wtf was up with that? She had the main part imo.

Oh wait, you're saying she didn't deserve it? Well ok... I can see how you might say that but I think she deserved it. Played the part great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom