• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently: Return of the Revenge of the Curse of the...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

I could do a top 15 for Altman, but it wouldn't be too far off from what swoon's got there. I definitely have more love for Quintet and Prairie Home Companion than a lot of people, tbh.

I just have a stupendous amount of love for Keillor. I thought the film was alright.

bud

bknDe.jpg

the adventures of tin tin: the camerawork in the first twenty minutes was so off-putting. "hey, let's just run circles around these characters." the cg is dodgy at times and there's some uncanny valley going on. milou, the dog, contrary to what he's like in the comics, has an expressionless look on his face throughout the entire film save for two or three moments; that was very disappointing.

despite that, though, it was a tremendously fun adventure film. serkis took the spotlight with a brilliant, hilarious performance as haddock. it's no surprise the film really picks up once he's introduced.

s93Rt.jpg

the box: it reminded me of the happening which was also a great unintentional comedy. there's this one hilariously awkward scene with diaz taking off her shoe to reveal her toeless foot after one of her students asks her about her limp. it's pretty bad, but it somehow managed to keep me intrigued enough to want to know what would happen at the end.

Dries

From the Uncharted 3 thread:

Sooo.. Buying this game in a couple of days. And to get me hyped I feel like watching a movie with the same setting/locales/story or something as UC3.

Anyone have a good reccomendation? FYI, I've seen all the Indiana Jones movies.

Radec

This Means War

Pretty fun movie. Also did they shoot this movie before Warrior? Tom Brady is pretty thin here compared to Warrior and TDR.

EliCash

220px-Ms._45_Poster.jpg

Ms.45 - Sleazy and silly revenge flick but that's what I watched it for.

05N57.jpg

Drive - Not got much to say that hasn't been said already. Stylish film that sticks in your head and urges repeat viewings. The more I think about it, the more I like it - which is pleasantly surprising because I thought it wouldn't live up to the hype.

I really enjoyed the unnerving silence from both the Driver and Ms.45. Who needs dialogue?

220px-Ms._45_Poster.jpg

Ms.45 - Sleazy and silly revenge flick but that's what I watched it for.

05N57.jpg

Drive - Not got much to say that hasn't been said already. Stylish film that sticks in your head and urges repeat viewings. The more I think about it, the more I like it - which is pleasantly surprising because I thought it wouldn't live up to the hype.

I really enjoyed the unnerving silence from both the Driver and Ms.45. Who needs dialogue?

Sounds like you're up for the challenge of Refn's previous film, Valhalla Rising. Barely any dialogue, he just uses pure filmmaking to tell the story. Has got this ethereal, nightmare-like atmosphere and a really cool plot twist near the end. Also, main character (Mads Mikkelsen) is an one-eyed mute so you really have to pay attention to all his actions.

EliCash

How sleazy are we talking about Eli?

Actually not as sleazy as that poster would have you believe. It was the poster that sold me.

But you've got late 70s / early 80s NYC full of all the scum that Travis Bickle didn't have time for and sax riffs so that's something. Surprisingly no nudity but there's some light gore here and there.
The premise is the main character (who's a mute, hence the lack of dialogue from her) is subjected to rape twice in the same day, after that she randomly disposes of men that cross her path. It's pretty silly.

I got these two cult movie books with about 50 films in each, so I'm going on a midnight movies kick I think.

Sounds like you're up for the challenge of Refn's previous film, Valhalla Rising. Barely any dialogue, he just uses pure filmmaking to tell the story. Has got this ethereal, nightmare-like atmosphere and a really cool plot twist near the end. Also, main character (Mads Mikkelsen) is an one-eyed mute so you really have to pay attention to all his actions.

Sounds like it's along the same lines as what I've been watching, I'll check it out. Low on dialogue and nightmare like atmosphere is a good combination.

swoon

How sleazy are we talking about Eli?

so sleazy.

yea real challenging.

Caught a midnight screening of the director's cut of BATTLE ROYALE on blu.

It's been a few years since I'd seen the original, so I couldn't really pick up on any changes.

Picture looked really nice.

The Secret World of Arrietti. I saw it for the second time today... just brilliant. No one does traditional animation and storytelling quite like Ghibli. Definitely worth it if you can brave all the screaming children.

swoon

those three are his only really good ones i think. dangerous game is worth watching, madonna is pretty awesome in it.

big ander

Hey guys what's a good Blu-Ray player?

I need one.

Well, I love the one I have: Panasonic DMP-BDT 210. But it looks like the DMP-BDT 110 is just about the same and cheaper. I like the 210 because it's a nice size, has simple menus, has a ton of internet features built in like Hulu Plus, Netflix, Skype, Amazon Instant, and Youtube. And I have no plans to use the 3d, but whatever.

Guess one problem I have with it is that it won't play MPEG4 or WMV off a USB. Looks like this player does that in addition to being even cheaper.

I finally watched Glengarry Glen Ross. I don't see the point of gushing about such a highly regarded film, but it is indeed incredibly good and filled with stunning performances, Lemmon and Pacino especially. I expect this will become one of my favorite films. Highly recommended.

Also watched a cute little movie called Driving Lessons. It's a slightly above-average formula film of a distinct, well-defined niche (Two Wildly Different Characters Become Friends), with very few unpredictable turns (and several that are not remotely believable), but it's pleasant enough, and it boasts some excellent acting as well as some surprisingly strong little moments. I adore Laura Linney, who I've always thought to be so much better than most of the roles she plays, and that's the case here as well. She plays her character as the epitome of self-righteous egocentricity (sporting an English accent that would at least fool me), and the film would be much poorer without her.

About to watch Jackie Brown for the first time.

I have not seen a single Altman movie, how about that. Don't believe I even heard of him before today.

I saw Gosford Park and absolutely loathed it. Insufferably boring.

However, this was many, many years ago. I've always planned to try Altman's films again at some point, now that I think I am more likely to appreciate them.

Broken Embraces - 9/10 - I loved the melodramtic elements of it all. This is modern film noir from a director who loves cinema.

The Last of the Mohicans - 7/10 - Hey, a movie where Daniel Day Lewis played a character that wasn't in need of method acting. I wonder how Michael Mann ended up on this project. It's unlike anything else he's done and there wasn't anything spectacular in the way this historical epic was told.

Out Of Sight - 8/10 - Great cast, great writing (based on an Elmore Lenord novel) and top-notch directing from Steven Soderbergh.
SAM JACKSON out of motherfucking nowhere!

The Debt - 7.5/10 - An interesting espionage thriller about the burden Jewish spies 30 years after being involved the capture of a ruthless German doctor. The time shifting between the present day in the film and when the mission occurred is well done. The weakest link was Sam Worthington's. I'm not someone who take issue with his acting abilities, here though, his inability to hide his Australian accent was a problem. And actually that leads to another issue of confusion with the casting for trio of modern actors. Two different sets of actors portray the characters in the different time periods. The role of the present day lead actors looks swapped in comparison to their 1966 counterpart.

The Last of the Mohicans - 7/10 - Hey, a movie where Daniel Day Lewis played a character that wasn't in need of method acting. I wonder how Michael Mann ended up on this project. It's unlike anything else he's done and there wasn't anything spectacular in the way this historical epic was told.

Yeah, but Madeleine Stowe, am I right?

Out Of Sight - 8/10 - Great cast, great writing (based on an Elmore Lenord novel) and top-notch directing from Steven Soderbergh.
SAM JACKSON out of motherfucking nowhere!

Interestingly, so is Jackie Brown! That really surprised me. (Loving the movie so far. Pam Grier looks fantastic.)

EDIT: Ugh, I would buy a brand new copy of the movie with scratches already on the disc. Damn it. Guess I'll finish it later.

Watched The Descendants last night. It was entertaining, but definitely no Sideways. The touching moments fell short of being really touching and the funny moments kind of fell short of being really funny. Decent performances all around, although Clooney was pretty standard in it - he was good, but I didn't see him truly excelling over his usual performances. Hawaii always makes for a great movie setting.

Wait... If the last of the mohicans' ending is not epic, I don't know what is. Love, betrayal, sacrifice, murder and vengeance, all in the span of ten minutes. Not to mention the music.

Divius

Copie conforme AKA Certified Copy - Loved the characters, their relation and how the actors portrayed them. Loved the gorgeously framed cinematography. Also I have no idea what the ending means. 7.5/10
Taxi Driver - The recent Scorsese talk made me realize it was over 2 years since I last saw this and it was due a rewatch. The movie clicked with me like never before. 9.5/10
Hanna - The first time I watched this I was pleasantly surprised, but this time I was mostly disappointed. Scenes carry on for too long, the editing is messy (especially during actionscenes) and the ending is unsatisfying. Still, there are some cool ideas and of course the music is pretty awesome. 6/10
Gone with the Wind - Not as good as I hoped/thought it would be. It's way too long and the second half was pretty dull compared to the first. However, I can see why this is considered a classic and how it changed the movie-industry. The entire cast was good, and both Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler were pretty awesome characters. So I did like the movie, but won't be rewatching this again any time soon. 7/10

Mifune

Mehmber
Wait... If the last of the mohicans' ending is not epic, I don't know what is. Love, betrayal, sacrifice, murder and vengeance, all in the span of ten minutes. Not to mention the music.

Yes. All with little or no dialogue, too. That ending is really an astonishing bit of visual storytelling.

A Separation: Put this one off for way too long. Finally saw it after it popped up more and more on "Best of 2011" lists, and it lived up to the hype. One of the quickest "2 hour movies that you wouldn't expect to be quick" watches I've had in a long time. I was down on some of the picks from 2011 after stuff like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy left me cold, but I'm a big fan of this one.

peakish

VALHALLA RISING was, hmm, stylish? I didn't get much out of it except for missionary'ing being a one way street or something. Good soundtrack.

Also rewatched JIN-ROH THE WOLF BRIGADE which I liked a lot a few years back. Still good but I want to like it more than I actually do. Fuse is hard to connect to as a character, now I think that's the point (
him not being a "human" after all
) but that doesn't really help me. Still, he lifts quite a bit in the absolute last scene (plus one in the middle), the political background schemes are good and it's very pretty.

EliCash

So I watched Casablanca from start to finish for what I'm ashamed to say is the first time. Love that ending, love that Sam, love that Bogart.

SUPER (2011, James Gunn): Wat. Had no idea the kind of crazy I was getting myself into. Stuff got intense toward the end and (major spoiler)
PISSED ME OFF SO MUCH WHEN BOLTIE GOT HER FACE BLOWN OFF, GOTDAMN IT MOVIE.
Definitely one of the better, if not best, "real life superhero" flicks out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom