• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently: Return of the Revenge of the Curse of the...

Status
Not open for further replies.

meppi

icarus-daedelus said:
Amelie is all sunshine and rainbows and puppies, not that that's necessarily a bad thing but it's a little TOO sweet for me.
Have you seen Memories of Matsuko by any chance?

It reminded me of Amelie a bit, but I liked it so much more for the reasons you mentioned.
Incredible movie which I bought again on bluray 5 minutes after having seen the DVD version. :)

UrbanRats

I'm stuck with what TV has to offer, these days (no HDMI cable for the BD player) so yesterday i watched Mission Impossible (the first one).
I was actually kinda surprised by it, i watched it last time as a kid (when it came out) and i thought it would have aged badly, since i hated the two sequels, but it was instead very enjoyable, good pace, nice story (twisted but not too confusing) and some very good action scenes (the train one was still impressive, to this day).
Not perfect, with some '90s cheesyness here and there (like the blue lights, at night) but overall i'm very happy about it, also Praga was an awesome setting.

Coincidentally enough, i've seen the trailer for the last one, and it looks very very generic.

AcridMeat

Banned
moonspeak said:
Recent stuff...

Riki-Oh: The Story Of Ricky

So yeah this was pretty effing amazing. That's all I really have to say on that.

Agreed. Hell of a good time. Every single death is gif-worthy.

jakncoke

Banned
swoon said:

Good that they are sensible and realized that would of butchered any potential growth. I was considering quitting . I don't like my hand being forced and aside from neat rankings they aren't as important as they think they are any team could throw together a code and do the same and probably faster. That being said as funny as Louis C.K: Hilarious was it has no business as im sure many others in the Documentary list and i wish IMDB would change it up so only real documentaries make the list

Saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon last night. I really enjoyed it for what it was. I went for robots kicking the shit out of each other and left satisfied.

qcf x2

I've been watching a ton of foreign movies lately, particularly of the Asian variety. My most recent:

10876915_det.jpg

A Bittersweet Life: 4/5. Great action, a solid acting job by Byung Hun Lee and I appreciated the pacing. As far as Korean revenge flicks go, this is up there amongst my favorites.

11151768_det.jpg

Confessions (Kokuhaku): 5/5. I love this movie. The premise is a bit crazy, the film a bit more so. The acting is superb, the drama is intense and it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. This is my favorite Asian film since Love Exposure, although the two are not at all comparable outside of the fact that shit gets fucked up.

Can't wait to see what else you guys have watched!

Drewsky

Mystagogue said:
Saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon last night. I really enjoyed it for what it was. I went for robots kicking the shit out of each other and left satisfied.
I enjoyed it for that too. But the first hour and a half of attempted character development and comedy was just awful. Way to long. If the movie was just the Chicago end scene I would have thought it was awesome, but it was 2 hours longer than that.

qcf x2 said:
I've been watching a ton of foreign movies lately, particularly of the Asian variety. My most recent:
Loved both of these movies. Confessions was flat out amazing. Wonderful performances and directing. The first 20 minutes or so in the classroom was godly.

Friday I watched Mulholland Dr. It was confusing and a little weird, but then I read up on some fan theories and thought that they sounded plausible and helped the movie make that much more sense.

Saturday I went and saw Super 8. A lot of people I know from work said it was bad, but I don't work with people who I consider to have generally comparable tastes in things. I thought it was great. The kids were a riot and felt like a lot of kids I knew when I was younger. Had a sort of Goonies meets ET vibe to it, I thought.

Last night I watched American Psycho for the first time. I didn't really enjoy it until about the last half hour. When
he has his breakdown.
That part was some great acting.

Thanks for the advice on Enter the void. Looking forward to know which side I'll join :)

Tangled
Meh. Didn't care too much for it. Overall it was entertaining and there are a few very funny moments but I found the art direction pretty bad (oh, those big glassy eyes... yuck) and the songs (too many of them) just terrible.

So after watching In Bruges this morning, one of my friends lent me Brick insisting that it sounded similar. I must have described In Bruges wrong as they are completely different types of movies. Sadly I didn't like Brick, the plot was ok, and I loved Joseph Gordan-Levitt, but everything else about the movie felt forced, especially the dialogue. I guess that's what I should expect out of a modern film-noir, but it really just didn't work for me.

louie

Bridesmaids - Pretty enjoyable. Kristen Wiig is pretty hot in a peculiar kinda way.

As Good as it Gets - Hated pretty much everything about. Hated the stupid drama, the characters, how boring the film looked and so on. Helen Hunt's speech were she cries about men and how she can't like people already in a relationship was just embarrassing to watch, ugh.

Mister Wilhelm said:
Salt is one of the worst major releases I have seen in years. I almost couldn't believe they got Jolie to do it.

You know, I think I disliked the film even more because of Jolie. Not only was she totally unconvincing at playing a cold and murderous Russian spy, watching her jump down an open elevator shaft/jump across the roofs of moving vehicles was just too ridiculous looking.

Satyamdas

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Thematically, I was able to pick out that the movie is anti-god, anti-immortality, and possibly anti-emasculation, although the film is not very consistent about that last one. Not that any of this stuff is presented in a particularly interesting or coherent way, though, and to call it surreal would be to give it more credit than it deserves.

300px-Zardoz1.jpg

It's really fucking weird, but also bad like a high school play or the remake of The Wicker Man so it never convincingly draws you in, and at the same time it's too slow and straight-faced to be a classic of badness on the order of Riki-Oh or somesuch. Like Dune the odd sets and costumes are the main draw, but here the costumes are mainly Sean Connery in his red underwear getup and a bunch of hippies, and sets are sort of like an inferior take on The Prisoner. So, although certainly unusual visually (and impressive for its budget), it doesn't remotely work on that level.
AZGaC.gif

KidDork

Count Dookkake said:
FX by genius Yoshihiro Nishimura make for one of the most satisyfing final kills of all time. Seriously deranged and well-executed.

Did you know that there is a second installment?

Yes! I saw that it's on Netflix as well ! I can't wait to see it. (insert SQUEEEE!)

Solo

Take Me Home Tonight

Pretty formulaic rom-com, but it had a slightly darker tone which I liked and I always find Topher Grace has the ability to lift things a notch or two. That Teresa Palmer is very easy on the eyes too.

Solo said:
Take Me Home Tonight

Pretty formulaic rom-com, but it had a slightly darker tone which I liked and I always find Topher Grace has the ability to lift things a notch or two. That Teresa Palmer is very easy on the eyes too.
It was a lot better than expected. Teresa Palmer is my future wife.

Salazar

CaptYamato said:
It was a lot better than expected. Teresa Palmer is my future wife.

She's Australian. You will have to petition AUS-GAF.

Watched Son of Rambow.

Eh, not terribly good.

Solo

CaptYamato said:
Only if I go first. The cocaine use in TMHT was surprising.

Indeed. Apparently thats why it was shelved for 4 years. Im not quite sure what changed between 2007 and 2011 with respect to coke becoming acceptable, lol.

Sloppy seconds?
Okay :(

Amagon

Solo said:
Indeed. Apparently thats why it was shelved for 4 years. Im not quite sure what changed between 2007 and 2011 with respect to coke becoming acceptable, lol.

Sloppy seconds?
Okay :(
Really, that long to release that movie just because the cocaine issue. Why even produce the movie then if they already knew about it?? The only other movie that I can remember that was in purgatory for a couple years was Once Upon a Time In Mexico. It was supposed to come out in 2001 and was pushed til late 03. The memories of waiting for this movie to come out and watching the trailer 24/7 were merciless and fun. I wonder what other movie is in purgatory right now???

Solo

Well, there was that Renee Zelweger/Bradley Cooper movie that just released last year which was shot in 2006. Its retarded but not uncommon for a movie to sit on the shelf for years for whatever reasons.

Ill give you an example of one that hasn't even released yet: Dream House starring Daniel Craig. They shot it like over 2 years ago, but it hasn't come out because the studio wants some reshoots and Daniel Craig's schedule has been far too busy, to the extent that he can't get on set for a week or two to finish the movie. Who knows when that one will see the light of day.

My friend reckons District B 13 is crap but he likes Crank. I can't wrap my head around this. They're so similar! (in my eyes)
They're both over-the-top revenge stories with badass heroes. (sure one of them isn't Jason Statham but still) He only likes the parkour scenes.

roosters93 said:
My friend reckons District B 13 is crap but he likes Crank. I can't wrap my head around this. They're so similar! (in my eyes)
They're both over-the-top revenge stories with badass heroes. (sure one of them isn't Jason Statham but still) He only likes the parkour scenes.

Crank is a timeless master piece. And the trailer for District B13 looks a bit fruity, so I think your friend has the right of it.

glaurung

Banlieue 13 is the uncrowned parkour epic. Very few movies even come close.

And the movie is not fruity, it's just how French people are.

glaurung

A quick note: the English voice-over of District B13 is horrendous.

Watch it in French if at all possible, with English subtitles (though I know most americans cannot read).

Edit: wait a minute, you ain't american.

Burli

Pringo
Had a satisfying night of films last night.

First was Jackass 3(D) - Haven't laughed that much in ages, and was really surprised by the effort they put into making such a solid slice of entertainment.

Next Buried - I really enjoyed this, Ryan Reynold's acting was brilliant and made the film a possibility in the first place, really tense and moving as a film. Awesome.

glaurung said:
A quick note: the English voice-over of District B13 is horrendous.

Watch it in French if at all possible, with English subtitles (though I know most americans cannot read).

Edit: wait a minute, you ain't american.

Nope, don't worry I always go for the original language if at all possible.

jarosh said:
wait. i... what? i mean, huh?

Yeah, okay, so it's not 2001. But in terms of contemporary action films I felt it was very original and the ending actually had something beautiful to it.

Divius

I watched Dario Argento's Phenomena last night. It was so weird. This young girl with a sleeping disorder and semi-multiple personalities (Jennifer Connelly) gets sent to an all girls school, but there's a killer with a constructable spear wandering about decapitating people. Oh, and she can communicate telepathically with insects. And there's a knife wielding monkey. And there's trippy dream sequences. And there's a horrible soundtrack with songs from Motorhead and Iron Maiden (not saying they are bad, but in this film they are misplaced).

So in the end it basically boils down to her doing some detective work with a fly as sidekick (lol), the ending/twist/killer-reveal came out of nowhere but the film has one of the best endings I have ever seen. Watch it here (there are spoilers of course): The great ending of Phenomena.

6/10

Tron Legacy - (Blu Ray)

I started watching thinking that it was going to be absolute rubbish, but the combination of the visuals and sound track were just amazing. The stupid CG face of Jeff Bridges was really annoying and I didn't really understand what was going on in the story at some points, but it was an enjoyable film overall. Just make sure you don't have any hefty expectations and enjoy the ride.

6/10 (With a heavy Daft Punk bias)

SKINNER!

Banned
I finally watched Ip Man 2 last weekend and I did not enjoy it as much as the first one. First half of the film was alright but it gets pretty sour the moment
that British boxer appears
. I still enjoyed all the martial art segments though
(except for the last main one as I thought that whole western/eastern boxing tournament thing was just silly)
The fight in the fish market and on that round table were incredible!
. But yea, Ip Man was far better as it had more substance (something I wasn't expecting in a martial arts film).

.la1n

Buried - I think friends hyped this a bit much for me. Major props to Ryan Reynolds for carrying the movie though.

Unknown - Liam Neeson being a badass, just less so than Taken. Who cares, I loved it.

Death Sentence - REALLY late on this, I think I skipped out on it because it was back when their were five or six revenge flicks to choose from. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, some good action sequences as well as emotional scenes.

The Lookout - Another LTP watch for me. JGL was great in as was Jeff Daniels. Very well done thriller, would recommend a watch if anyone has not seen it.

Harry Brown - Michael Cain gets a gun and kicks ass / takes names and bubblegum is involved. Just watch it.

J-Rod

I finally got around to watching the social network, and didn't like it. It was like watching pirates of silicon valley except with far less interesting people.

Saw Tranformers 3 as well and was entertained, but thought it was worse than the infamous 2. Watching Shia's gf go nathan drake for an hour in high heels has gotten old.

.la1n said:
The Lookout - Another LTP watch for me. JGL was great in as was Jeff Daniels. Very well done thriller, would recommend a watch if anyone has not seen it.

Harry Brown - Michael Cain gets a gun and kicks ass / takes names and bubblegum is involved. Just watch it.

These were both great movies that most people haven't seen. Watch them.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Solo said:
Take Me Home Tonight

I really enjoyed TMHT.

I felt it had this airy R rated charisma/heart that translated from the characters and scenarios compared to many other coming of age rom-coms like you can feel the movie isn't souless, but motivated although formulaic in a way. At least that's what I felt while watching it. I was genuinely surprised how much I loved it.

Solo

Definetely agree. I didn't necessarily mean formulaic as a con, just as a matter of fact way of saying that you know how the movie will play out. But it certainly takes a different route getting there, and the darker edge makes it feel a bit more unique.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Solo said:
Definetely agree. I didn't necessarily mean formulaic as a con, just as a matter of fact way of saying that you know how the movie will play out. But it certainly takes a different route getting there, and the darker edge makes it feel a bit more unique.
I agree the movie's slightly darker tone was unique. Also the movie is about college grads transitioning to the real world which I felt was more fresh than say the typical last year of HS stuff.

Another thing I want to mention is how well the film captures that perfect night where you charm the girl you've had a crush on for years. It also helps that Topher Grace and Teresa Palmer were great. Oh yea since this film was finished in 07, 500 days of summer totally jocked the penis game from here lol.

JGS

Banned
Cars 2 - Argh. As a part of Cars Defense force, I took all the bad stuff said about it with a grain of salt. I shouldn't have. It is easily the worst PIXAR movie ever.

I actually loved the premise and they got the spy parts down very well but shoehorning Cars 1 characters ruined it. I liked Mater in the first one but a little of him goes a long way and making him the center of a movie made it seem like a DVD special feature.

The only way it was greenlit is because the head honcho was directing it. It had nothing that makes PIXAR films enjoyable. With that said, it wasn't horrible. I would put it somewhere in the Planet 51 level of animation quality.

omgkitty

I watched a ton of television shows over the past weekend, but before that I was able to get in a couple of movies.

wild_straw.jpg

Wild Strawberries - This was an absolutely wonderful movie and something I think I needed to see at this point in my life. The only other Bergman film I had seen up to this point was The Seventh Seal, which I enjoyed, but I didn't love it like it seems a lot of people do. I think my problem with going back to a lot of older films is that they all have a sort of been there done that sort of feeling as 50 or 60 years of cinema is bound to reproduce a lot of aspects of classic movies. I think while I have seen many parts of this movie done before, I don't think I have seen it done this well before. Can't wait for the blu-ray release of this.

571_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Black Moon - This is the first Malle film I have seen, and this was definitely not a good place to start. I got about an hour in before I gave up. This was partly due to Hulu deciding to buffer every 3 seconds, but I had about lost my patience. This movie is simply boring. There is almost no dialogue and honestly not much of anything going on. I can say the movie is certainly interesting, and I can see the Alice in Wonderland references and the women's rights aspect of the movie, but it doesn't do anything for me. This is definitely not something I wan't to come back to or finish. I would love to see what others think of this movie as I don't know of anyone else who has talked about it.

omgkitty

HiResDes said:
Start with this:

Then eventually follow with this:

Yeah, I have those in my queue, and should have started in a better spot, especially seeing as Black Moon caught a lot of crap on their FB page when it was announced, but it had just been released, so I figured I would check it out. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom