• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

yZNVUTW.jpg

Felt dangerous, perhaps irresponsible. Not sorry I watched it. Don't recommend it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Watched Juno for the first time in a long time. What a talent Page was/is. Haven’t seen Page in anything in a long time. I hope Page is truly happy with the transitioning and doesn’t come to regret it years later, because you don’t see Page in any movies anymore or anything and it would sadden me if that talent was wasted.

GeekyDad

Why was it dangerous?

Hmm...I've thought about how to describe why it made me feel that way, but unfortunately, the only thing I could come up with is to say, you have to watch it.
And please let me clarify. In my opinion, it's a master work made from very few and sparse ingredients. Not sure what the budget and allocation of time given to it was, but I get the impression it wasn't huge. That being said, it is incredibly impactful. Many of the background actors are not great, but they don't need to be. I'd almost say they're props, and this isn't so much a movie as it is an experience. But again, it feels...dangerous. Should it have been made? I'm not sure. Is there a more profound message being conveyed in a very subtle way? Maybe, and if so, then perhaps it is truly a masterpiece. If not, then I'd want to say it's a dangerous way of getting recognition as an artist(s).

sol_bad

RRR - Netflix
Damn, this was an absolutely insane epic that was highly entertaining. It's a story of friendship and has over the top action to extreme levels. Not only that, it contains random Bollywood songs that had my wife and I laughing because to us, they were so random. I highly recommend this film.

RRR - Netflix
Damn, this was an absolutely insane epic that was highly entertaining. It's a story of friendship and has over the top action to extreme levels. Not only that, it contains random Bollywood songs that had my wife and I laughing because to us, they were so random. I highly recommend this film.

Saying this as a Indian dude, I seen way better Bollywood movies. I recommend Tumbbad.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
OK let me finish this alphabet challenge :p

24. Xanadu (1980)

image-w1280.jpg

The movie that led to the creation of the Raspberry Awards, it has to be seen to be believed. It's going to sound weird but I enjoyed it. Maybe the world is finally ready?

25. Young Törless (1966)

Mathieu-Carriere.jpg

Second time I kinda cheated as it is actually called Der junge Törless. One of the first movies starting the New German Cinema Movement and the debut of Volker Schlöndorff, about an Austrian boarding school filled with sadistic German boys. I guess it kinda shows how fascism and sadism can slowly creep into a community, it reminded me a bit of The White Ribbon from Michael Häneke.

26. Zatoichi (2003)

4622725.jpg

So I had never seen a Zatoichi movie, but I love Beat Takeshi. This is an awesome samurai flick that I enjoyed immensely, even the over the top CGI blood splatters. I also now have the 26 original Zatoichi movies in my library.

Thanks for reading, and I wonder if I should do another alphabet challenge soon. It really helped not choosing just the lastest crappy movie but explore my watchlist and collection.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

I just read the synopsis of this one, almost wish I hadn't because it sounds great. Why didn't it work? Reviews are pretty poor

It's a dull and rather pointless bait-and-switch affair, but the "bait" part didn't work for me, it was obvious five minutes in.

If you want to see a great PTSD movie I can recommend Disorder.

disorder-2015-poster.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Buck and the Preacher -Sidney Poitier stars and directs this western, that is pretty good. I think this movie is a little all over the place as far as story goes, but I enjoyed it.

MadAnon

Just watched NOPE...

Why is it rated so high? What did I miss? One big pile of shit. It was neither a good mystery, neither a horror. I generally don't care about some hidden messages, but the movie suffered massively because of it. Those messages and metaphors weren't seamlessly baked in the story but instead the movie was baked around those random messages and metaphors. It just ended up in a disjointed mess. Just bunch of nonsense. I was cringing and sighing throughout the entire movie. Doesn't help when the girl is an extremely annoying character either. The characters overall just seemed terrible. Angel and especially Antler just felt so random and out of place. Damn, we need some more "clever" messages in our movie. How about we throw in this random, mysterious film maker to say some mysteriously sounding crap?
That TMZ guy with a stupid helmet scene was one big wtf moment. And again, only because they tried to send some message about people being narrow minded and stupid just to film something and get famous? Well, it was absolutely terrible, coma inducing cringe scene.

The soundtrack felt awfully out of place and did nothing to enhance the experience. Actually made it even worse. So I'm watching a sci-fi mystery movie about aliens, so how about some wild west themes and music!!!! Like wtf!?

My recommendation is to get out! 2 hours wasted.

Last edited:
Just watched NOPE...

Why is it rated so high? What did I miss? One big pile of shit. It was neither a good mystery, neither a horror. I generally don't care about some hidden messages, but the movie suffered massively because of it. Those messages and metaphors weren't seamlessly baked in the story but instead the movie was baked around those random messages and metaphors. It just ended up in a disjointed mess. Just bunch of nonsense. I was cringing and sighing throughout the entire movie. Doesn't help when the girl is an extremely annoying character either. The characters overall just seemed terrible. Angel and especially Antler just felt so random and out of place. Damn, we need some more "clever" messages in our movie. How about we throw in this random, mysterious film maker to say some mysteriously sounding crap?
That TMZ guy with a stupid helmet scene was one big wtf moment. And again, only because they tried to send some message about people being narrow minded and stupid just to film something and get famous? Well, it was absolutely terrible, coma inducing cringe scene.

The soundtrack felt awfully out of place and did nothing to enhance the experience. Actually made it even worse. So I'm watching a sci-fi mystery movie about aliens, so how about some wild west themes and music!!!! Like wtf!?

My recommendation is to get out! 2 hours wasted.
Anything Jordan Peele puts out gets high praise. I also don't get it. Get out! was pretty good and that's it imo.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The World's End (2013) - Pretty good, it had its moments. A who's who of British actor cameos. I think it's the weakest of the Cornetto trilogy, but served as a nice final chapter as Wright, Pegg, and Frost coasted into their 40's.

sol_bad

The Invitation - cinema
Saw this last night and it's not the greatest movie ever made, it's not the worst film either. The set up to get the lead actress to the mansion where the story takes place is a bit far fetched in terms of trust, I could run with it though. I actually really enjoyed the first half of the film, it had some genuinely creepy scenes. Then shit kind of went downwards at the reveal.
The trailer spoiled what happens when she manages to escape the mansion which is dumb.
Honestly, I have no idea how I would finish this films plot, I just know I didn't enjoy the second half that much.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
MV5BOGZhZDIzNWMtNjkxMS00MDQ1LThkMTYtZWQzYWU3MWMxMGU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg

It's good. It may even be great. But is it "best war movie of all time" great? I'm skeptical. I'll watch it again to see how it holds up.

GeekyDad

Get_The_Gringo_Key_Art.jpg

Feel-bad movie of the decade, I suppose. Who thought this piece of shit needed to be made? Not funny, not heart-warming, not thought-provoking. The sound quality was good.

1/5 Stars

Mossybrew

Finally watched the new Top Gun. It was "pretty good" - not in love with it like a lot of folks. Felt kinda old fashioned in a way, trying to be too much like the original. I like Jennifer Connelly but I wish she was not in this movie, any time she was on screen it just dragged. The main action towards the end felt more like a videogame than reality. But these complaints aside, it was a fairly enjoyable movie overall.

sol_bad

Three Thousand Years of Longing - cinema
Really enjoyed Tilda Swinton and Edris Elba in this film. I'll be honest about the plot, it's basically a film about 2 people talking in a room about their life experiences, more so Edris than Tilda. It's a beautiful looking film with very interesting art design. I'm going to be really annoyed when this gets a home release and people start saying they enjoyed it since it's failing miserably at the box office. Another "original" film dying due to the studio unable to market it properly and releasing it at a stupid time.

Three Thousand Years of Longing - cinema
Really enjoyed Tilda Swinton and Edris Elba in this film. I'll be honest about the plot, it's basically a film about 2 people talking in a room about their life experiences, more so Edris than Tilda. It's a beautiful looking film with very interesting art design. I'm going to be really annoyed when this gets a home release and people start saying they enjoyed it since it's failing miserably at the box office. Another "original" film dying due to the studio unable to market it properly and releasing it at a stupid time.

But I thought the film failing is due to the M SHE U? :p

Kagey K

Banned
I'm still only watching the best of the best (or movies I really enjoyed.)

All of them are in the 8-10 range for different reasons.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
To each their own, of course.
I love some cheese movies. Class Axt isn't House Party or some classic like that, but I enjoyed thier take on The Prince and the Pauper.

I don't think it's less revelation than the Roneo and Juliette 96 version.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

The Forgiven (2021)

Pretty enjoyable thriller set in Morocco where Ralph Fiennes kills a kid while drunk driving to a party hosted by Doctor Who. There's a lot more going on and I was pretty entertained even if this wasn't anything groundbreaking. Perfect Sunday night movie. And there was also a Dalek.

The Innocents (2021)

This Norwegian thriller is some kinda low key supernatural affair with some very ugly and annoying kids developing superpowers. Two hours that easily seem like three with the horrible pacing and the repetition, I really disliked this whole production. Just noticed that is was directed by the dude that wrote The Worst Person in the World which was a movie I also strongly disliked.

The_Innocents-2021-1.jpg

Inexorable (2021)

Another dark thriller this time from my home country, about a girl appearing at the castle of a writer and his rich wife, smooching her way into their lives but of course there's some dark secret. It was okay I guess. Acting was top notch but I felt it was lacking some tension maybe.

Billbofet

YnVTigW.jpg

Rad: 80's movie about bmx biking. Typical town hero with a heart of gold against corporate goons. Very entertaining, and an unbelievable scene that involves bike dancing in a prom-like setting. Good soundtrack too!

Kagey K

Banned
YnVTigW.jpg

Rad: 80's movie about bmx biking. Typical town hero with a heart of gold against corporate goons. Very entertaining, and an unbelievable scene that involves bike dancing in a prom-like setting. Good soundtrack too!
Also Nicole Kidmans first movie.

Davey Cakes

rLOk4z9zL1tTukIYV56P94aZXKk.jpg

Saw this for the first time today and absolutely loved it. Stellar cast. Perfectly paced despite being over 2 hours. Scratched the itch for a military movie and courtroom drama in one go.

I need to go back to the 90's more often. I feel like I've missed a lot of classics from that era despite growing up in it. Modern movies don't draw me in at all.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Saw this for the first time today and absolutely loved it. Stellar cast. Perfectly paced despite being over 2 hours. Scratched the itch for a military movie and courtroom drama in one go.

I need to go back to the 90's more often. I feel like I've missed a lot of classics from that era despite growing up in it. Modern movies don't draw me in at all.
If you're heading back to the 90's for some good movies, I always recommend The Negotiator with Sam Jackson and Kevin Spacey. It's a ridiculous, but pretty tense and awesome thriller.
It's a cop framed trying to clear his name kinda deal. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Another of my faves from the 90's that makes the rotation at least once a year is the Fugitive. About the most perfect movie in the genre I can think of.

Good call on A Few Good Men. Rob Reiner was on an absolute roll all through the 80's and early 90's. Such a diverse span of flicks too!!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

The scene where Cruise looses it is one of my all time favourites.

Great acting, amazing movie.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Red Dawn (1984)

Why is this a cult classic? This was easily one of the worst movies ever and the acting feels like they were purposefully trying to be bad.

kurisu_1974

Design for Living (1933)

Famous pre-code comedy that I could appreciate but didn't really like, my main issue being the chemistry of the leading lady with the other actors and the lack of actual funny situations, I have seen much better from this time period, but I can see why it was popular at the time too.

images-w1280.jpg

Solace (2015)

Cheap looking effects and a ridiculous plot in this crime thriller where Hopkins is a psychic helping the Feds track down a serial killer. Also everyone in this movie has cancer. Weird that the cast has this many big names, as it was just trash.

solace_still.jpg

The Beta Test (2021)

This was a weird indie movie with a rather far fetched plot (that I can't talk about because is would spoil the whole experience) and strange performances, but for some reason I was entertained throughout the whole thing and I found some parts really funny. I'm hesitant to recommend it tho, it is surely not for everyone.

betatest.jpg

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Rewatched Thor, getting ready for a second viewing of Love and Thunder when it hits D+ tomorrow. It reminded me of how greatly special FX have advanced in a decade. Branagh was gunning for an epic presentation through much of this, you can sense it as a viewer, but the tech just wasn't there, and the score for the movie is also so boring and flat.

It's sad that most of the entertaining portions of this film are the ones involving Jane Foster and her crew, or with Loki, and not those featuring Thor specifically. And going from this to Ragnarok is like whiplash - they clearly had such a different plan for this character in place originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom