• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizz-Art

Rewatched 'Leaving Las Vegas' on HD-DVD last night. Elisabeth Shue was such a hotty, she's still fine but back then... and Nic's performance was superb, deserved the Oscar win for sure. I'm glad that I don't drink for years now

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
8-mile-behind-the-scenes-header-Cropped.jpg

Still holds up. Eminem should act more.

mango drank

Human Nature (2019; Netflix)
A solid documentary on CRISPR and Cas9. Loftier and more focused than Netflix's earlier "Unnatural Selection" docuseries on the same subject. It explains the mechanics of gene editing better too. Less of a series of character studies, more of a top-level overview of what's going on and what's coming. I liked it a lot.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
On we go:

- 7/10: Iron Man (best of the 3)
- 6/10: The Incredible Hulk
- 7/10: Iron Man 2 (worst of the 3)
- 7/10: Thor
- 7/10: Captain America: The First Avenger
- 8/10: The Avengers
- 7/10: Iron Man 3
- 7/10: Thor 2 (better than 1)
- 8/10: Captain America: Winter Soldier (better than 1)
- 10/10: Guardians of the Galaxy (one of the few I already knew, amazing flick)
- 7/10: Avengers: Age of Ultron (solid flick but I licked the first one better because, among other things, it had a much better villain; Ultron was lame)
- 7/10: Captain America: Civil War (worst of the 3 CA flicks)
- 8/10: Doctor Strange (I'm a sucker for origin stories and this was really cool; also like Benedict "can't speel his last name", very charismatic; Dolby Vision picture was insane here)
- 8/10: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (not as good as the first one but still amazing; love the humor)

Also rewatched the whole Die Hard series.

- 10/10: Die Hard (one of the greatest action flicks ever made)
- 9/10: Die Hard 2 (amazing sequel, almost as good as 1)
- 7/10: Die Hard with a Vengance (not as entertaining as the first two and all the racial crap was just as annoying to me as it was for John... perhaps this used to be more funny...)
- 7/10: Live Free or Die Hard (somewhat entertaining with the insane action but the hacker story was crap and felt out of place for the series)
- 5/10: A Good Day to Die Hard (boy, what an embarrasing script and dialog... You can literally see that Willis doesn't give a shit and is only collecting payment; giving it a 5 only because of the surpisingly decent handmade action; hate it when film makers use this blueish corny tint though... makes everything look so cheap)

GeekyDad

Not sure what to say about this one, really...

p177252_p_v10_as.jpg

I'm typing this while listening to it the background. I'm liking a lot of things about it, and yet... (about midway through)

[Stopped typing to start watching again]

Gets worse, gets better, gets worse, gets better...

There's really nothing wrong with the film (aside from a smattering of dizzying cinematography), it's just...these characters and situations are utterly fucking disgusting. I work at a grocery store. This movie is about top-tier movie talent, and somehow I can identify with all of the shittiness. Ugh...I don't want to have to do that. I'm trying to enjoy what little enjoyment life still has to offer me.

Good movie about some of the shittiest aspects of humans.

mango drank

oh yeah, forgot a bunch more

My Octopus Teacher (Netflix): 7/10
Documentary dude learns no-tank diving, befriends an octopus over the course of a year. Pretty good, but the pace feels a little too slow, and I would've wanted more info on octopus biology. I love me some octopuses, though, and if you love you some octopuses, you might love you this docu.

Horse Girl (Netflix): 7/10
Not bad. Some great trippy sequences. Could've used a heftier ending. Not much else to say about it.

Climax (Prime): 5/10
Out of all of Gaspar Noe's movies, this is definitely one of them.

High Life (2019; Prime) 4/10
High lame.

The Other Guys (Netflix) 7/10
Parts of this sag, and a lot of jokes don't land (feels like they shot a rough draft script and also improvised on top of it), but it's full of enough funny stuff to make up for it.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix) 7/10
Decent, but brought down by parts that are way too schmaltzy and feel shoehorned in, don't fit the tone of the rest of the movie.

The Big Short: 8/10
Second time seeing this, still great. One of the rare movies in which Ryan Gosling's character has a personality.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
MV5BMTg3ODY5ODI1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTkxNTYxMTE@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

So much nostalgia packed in to one movie. I'm sure it doesn't resonate well with people today, but this movie holds such a soft spot in my heart. Feel like I grew up with these guys in a way. Just a movie that makes me happy, I guess. No matter the mood.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
On we go:

- 7/10: Avengers: Age of Ultron (solid flick but I licked the first one better because, among other things, it had a much better villain; Ultron was lame)
- 8/10: Doctor Strange (I'm a sucker for origin stories and this was really cool; also like Benedict "can't speel his last name", very charismatic; Dolby Vision picture was insane here)
- 8/10: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (not as good as the first one but still amazing; love the humor)
- 7/10: Spider-Man: Homecoming (solid flick but man... Peter Parker really needs to shut up... This constant commenting rustled my jimmies... Only give it as pass because he's supposed to be like 15 in this movie)
- 5/10: Hot Shots: Marvel Edition... ähm... I mean Thor Ragnarok (What the shit was that? I maybe would have liked it better if I'd knew beforehand but the tonal shift here totally took me by surpise... Easily the worst Marvel movie so far for me)

I also rewatched the Conan flicks.

- 9/10: Conan: The Barbarian (Classic, used to be 10/10 for me but I simply seen it too often by now... Soundtrack is still one of the best ever... Gives me chills ever time!)
- 6/10: Conan: The Destroyer (quite a cheap sequel, now way around it... But man, was Arnie SWOLE in this one... You can literally tell he did another Mister Olympia between the two movies, lol; watching Thor Ragnarok after this one made Hemsworth look like a chump, haha)

Last edited:

NahaNago

well I just got through watching Sharknado 3 through 6. It was enjoyable. I actually like these terrible monster movies. You have the corniness, the over the top monster, but it did lack the showing of skin that you normally get from these monster movies. I'd give the series a C-. I'll be watching it's spinoff series lavantula after I finish this dead ant I have paused on my tv. Oh yeah finished Streets of Fire. I think if I had watched it when I was younger I'd be more in to it but ended up just fast forwarding through a lot of it. I'm not sure if I mentioned if I watched Broly earlier in this thread. I enjoyed it mostly. The music threw me off . Some times I feel like yeah they hyped me up and other times I'm like that was weird. That heavy metal music for Broly I just don't know. Hated Bardocks new look and the Saiyans were far less tribal and more pleasant which is weird for a people that goes around taking over planets and then selling them. I swear it seems like Goku becomes more stupid as the series goes on. I think i'll rewatch Bardock's spinoffs. Like seriously why didn't they create a whole new series with Bardock after we found out he lived.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

8/10

original.jpg

This was really good. Would highly recommend. Insane chemistry between all the cast, and the storyline tugs at your heart strings. Never a dull moment, and it couldn't be paced any better. This is an example of a coming-of-age film done well. The comedic moments were great, and the sad moments hit deep. Really blends them both together beautifully. Just love a movie that can make me feel something and think about it even when it's over.

I would watch this again.

GeekyDad

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

8/10

original.jpg

This was really good. Would highly recommend. Insane chemistry between all the cast, and the storyline tugs at your heart strings. Never a dull moment, and it couldn't be paced any better. This is an example of a coming-of-age film done well. The comedic moments were great, and the sad moments hit deep. Really blends them both together beautifully. Just love a movie that can make me feel something and think about it even when it's over.

I would watch this again.
Wow, only watched the trailer, and I'm so fucking sold hard! I think I'm just a big softy. Looks great.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, only watched the trailer, and I'm so fucking sold hard! I think I'm just a big softy. Looks great.
Give it a shot. I honestly wasn't sure if it would be for me, but was hooked pretty quickly. I was really impressed with the cast a lot. The actors pull you in with their chemistry, great dialogue.

nikolino840

I don't watch many movies in this period...

For the movies that i have seen for the first time this year :

Us .... mmmh i don't know what to say...someone have to explain this movie for me lol

Bad boys 2 ...will smith standard acting,martin Lawrence not so good..maybe too old style ...special effects of the gunshots scenes are the top for me

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I rewatched Total Recall. Haven't seen it in about a decade. Still holds up but it's funny how it was considered big budget at the time but everything looks like it's made out of tin foil and repurposed T.J. Max displays from 1990.

I also realized that about the time Arnold was having an affair with his latina maid that would lead to a child out of wedlock, all of his movies had a latina lead opposite him. Kind of funny.

INC

I rewatched Total Recall. Haven't seen it in about a decade. Still holds up but it's funny how it was considered big budget at the time but everything looks like it's made out of tin foil and repurposed T.J. Max displays from 1990.

I also realized that about the time Arnold was having an affair with his latina maid that would lead to a child out of wedlock, all of his movies had a latina lead opposite him. Kind of funny.

Still looks better 99% of cgi films in this day and age tbh

Give me total recall and the thing practical effects, over averagers cgi any day

mango drank

Mudbound (Netflix): 5/10
Me watching the first half: "This movie is amazing. How did this end up on Netflix?"
Me watching the second half: "... Oh."

Too contrived, too meandering, too many plot points, too many characters. Feels like the movie gets bored with the main characters in the first half and switches over to others for the second. The story isn't believable, and the result feels amateurish by the end, in stark contrast to the beautiful cinematography. I kept thinking that it felt like an epic novel that was shoehorned awkwardly into a 2-hour movie, with many things lost in translation. Sure enough, it's based on a book.

Mr Hyde

EX Machina

Very impressive directorial debut by Alex Garland. I'm a big fan of his work, both his novels and movies. Ex Machina is well acted, well written and very suspenseful. Garland always manages to capture a very special feeling in his films and scripts, very captivating and clever, challenging the mind in a way very few artists does. A fan favorite of mine in the sci fi genre. Both this and Annihilation.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Watched Shin Godzilla for the first time. It perfectly hits the "what is it?" horror flick tone, especially with the final shot of Gojira's tail. The disaster sequences were amazing. I loved how government incompetence was constantly in frame, showing how bickering and platitudes and bravery costs lives. Felt almost like a Wes Anderson disaster movie.

INC

JFK, holy shit this film is long, but overall its a great historical film, which touches on what, when why etc

Only down side is joe pescis wig and drawn on eyebrows, wtf were they thinking

7/10

Young guns, awesome cast, but my god the soundtrack is horrific, almost kills the vibe of the film completely for me, I reckon if they redid the audio it would be a far better film overall

6/10

GeekyDad

The dumbest, most ridiculous movie I may have ever watched...

sphe-seven_psychopaths_2012-Full-Image_GalleryCover-en-US-1486136249575._UY500_UX667_RI_VMXy2TYhPEL7SHdHKzwLfobrLWz8NAH3_TTW_.jpg

But I loved it. It was kinda perfect for what it was. I had started to watch it about a month or so ago, and wasn't ready to commit. Bored this morning, I gave it another go. I like the director, love all of the actors. I guess it clicked this time around. I actually cried at the end -- and then laughed hysterically. Not a big Colin Farrel fan, and I think that was my main hesitation with it. He's a good actor, truly. It's just there's some folks I enjoy, and some I don't. But it was good.

Peggies

Gold Member
The dumbest, most ridiculous movie I may have ever watched...

sphe-seven_psychopaths_2012-Full-Image_GalleryCover-en-US-1486136249575._UY500_UX667_RI_VMXy2TYhPEL7SHdHKzwLfobrLWz8NAH3_TTW_.jpg

But I loved it. It was kinda perfect for what it was. I had started to watch it about a month or so ago, and wasn't ready to commit. Bored this morning, I gave it another go. I like the director, love all of the actors. I guess it clicked this time around. I actually cried at the end -- and then laughed hysterically. Not a big Colin Farrel fan, and I think that was my main hesitation with it. He's a good actor, truly. It's just there's some folks I enjoy, and some I don't. But it was good.
Awesome movie!

There's something about Colin Farrel, that I can't put my finger on. He's either really stupid or just doesn't give a fuck about his performance.
I mean "True Detective" Season 2 was a laughable mess on it's own, but Colin Farrel did everything to make it even more so.

INC

Awesome movie!

There's something about Colin Farrel, that I can't put my finger on. He's either really stupid or just doesn't give a fuck about his performance.
I mean "True Detective" Season 2 was a laughable mess on it's own, but Colin Farrel did everything to make it even more so.

Yet phone booth, minority report and in bruges are all good

INC

It‘s a historical movie mate. Google David Ferrie.

Will do, I've not gone massively down the jfk rabbit hole, but its pretty clear it wasn't just 1 dude with an average shot, just the actual footage says it all, and autopsy pictures, if he was shot form behind, they'd be nothing left of the front of his face, yet the exit wound and most of the damage is on the rear.

Either way, cant really go wrong with Kevin Costner

Peggies

Gold Member
Did anyone watch Songbird on Amazon and can tell me if it's a Thriller/Action movie or more like a "touching" melodrama?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Will do, I've not gone massively down the jfk rabbit hole, but its pretty clear it wasn't just 1 dude with an average shot, just the actual footage says it all, and autopsy pictures, if he was shot form behind, they'd be nothing left of the front of his face, yet the exit wound and most of the damage is on the rear.

Either way, cant really go wrong with Kevin Costner
No, I meant because you complain about Pescies look. That is how David Parrie actually looked.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Almost done with Marvel.

On we go:

- 7/10: Spider-Man: Homecoming (solid flick but man... Peter Parker really needs to shut up... This constant commenting rustled my jimmies... Only give it as pass because he's supposed to be like 15 in this movie)
- 5/10: Hot Shots: Marvel Edition... ähm... I mean Thor Ragnarok (What the shit was that? I maybe would have liked it better if I'd knew beforehand but the tonal shift here totally took me by surpise... Easily the worst Marvel movie so far for me)
- 7/10: Black Panther (solid flick, found it to be better than on my first viewing)
- 7/10: Avengers: Infinity War (better than Age of Ultron but weaker than the first)
- 7/10: Ant-Man and the Wasp (solid flick but I liked the first one a bit better)
- 7/10 Captain Marvel (was expecting the worst but found it to be a solid flick; liked that it had a bit of aslower pace the last couple of Marvel flicks)

Will watch Endgame on Saturday when I have a bit more time. Afrer that I've got enough Marvel for a couple of months a least.
Lots of good entertainment but nothing that will stay with me.

Wizz-Art

I'm (re-) watching my HD-DVD's lately, I went through them and I had about 30 of the 300+ titles I own wich were still sealed, I watched those titles previously on DVD, found them good and picked them up on HD-DVD. I need to mention that almost all of the Warner bros. discs I own simply don't play anymore to a process called disc rot.

Leaving Las Vegas was the first disc I re-watched and then I went through King of California, Slither, White Noise, White Noise II and last night I watched Ray and my God does the image quality of Ray hold up! It - believe it or not - does look better then most of my Blu-ray's.

Nicely done biopic where Jamie Foxx became Ray Charles and got awarded the Oscar for the best actor. The biggest problem is how to compress a life and career of such a remarkable peron in about two and a half hours, I feel Hackford (Director) did the best he could but there was just too much material to do it real justice. Despite those nitpickings the movie was more than enjoyable and absolutely did not portray Ray as a saint but with all his flaws exposed which was refreshing. It was also very nice that the movie is free of woke shit and doesn't ram a sjw message through your throat

HE1NZ

Banned
OS4NVeU.jpg

Watched two Tanya Roberts flicks. Beastmaster and Sheena. Low ratings suggested the latter to be a sort of direct to video type erotic movie. It's actually completely the opposite. It's an expensive high quality 80s production with excellent cinematography and stuntwork. There's tons of animals, helicopter action, great music. Tanya Roberts works well as a female Conan, sort of semi retarded but innocent half-naked warrior. She has some chemistry with male lead and dialogue is pretty good overall. This is excellent 80s guilty pleasure (better than Beastmaster).

GeekyDad

Predestination. I wasn't expecting literally any of the stuff that happened in it. Actually really enjoyed it even though the plot is absolutely ridiculous.
Just checked out the trailer. Says based on a Robert Heinlein story. That's kinda all I needed to know. Will check it out when it's free on Prime. ;)

Karmic Raze

I watched Sonic the Hedgehog a few days ago. I bought it on Vudu, actually. I had heard positive things, but man was it good. I loved Carrey’s performance and Sonic was such a heartwarming character in this movie. It was a feel good story and I can’t wait to see the sequel. I grew up playing the first Sonic games on Genesis, so he has a special place in my heart. He resonates with me a lot, so I was happy with how this movie turned out. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for a good, fun movie to watch.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
0*_Q3IzkqSEHF57G6i.jpg

I liked this better the second time around for some reason. I think there was far too much hype going in it. It's a well-made film with good performances, and has some great tension and atmosphere. The sound design is really the big thing here, they did a killer job with it. You actually relate with the main character's deafness. John Gallagher is a great actor as well, even when the mask comes off he is equally as chilling.

2 movies recently:

The first is called "Roar" released in 1981. It's got to be one of the most ridiculous films I've ever seen. Wikipedia says there's a plot, and maybe when I rewatch it I'll try and find it but I don't really believe them.
This dude lived with fucking lions, and the movie from what I gathered is basically about him and his buddy trying to pick up his family that arrived to also live on a ranch full of lions. It's a giant shitshow with lions fighting with each other, fighting with humans, all over a house or something. Lots of clever camera work. It's hella fun to watch but the absolute balls on this dude. How he wasn't killed in JUST these scenes is truly amazing. Tons of people got injured while filming. Took like 11 years total to make? Highly recommend it, lots of nice and cuddly scenes and many more where you see how fucking stupid humans can be.

The second is Three Days. It's on Netflix, never even heard of it but it's apparently 11 years old? Russel Crowe's wife (Elizabeth Taylor) goes to jail for murder, he doesn't think she did it. He obsesses over freeing/proving her innocence. Don't really want to spoil any more, but it's pretty suspenseful with good acting and a pretty damn great story. It's got Budlofsky from Pineapple Express, Morgan from Walking Dead, and Liam Neeson. Very good movie.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Predestination. I wasn't expecting literally any of the stuff that happened in it. Actually really enjoyed it even though the plot is absolutely ridiculous.
That movie was awesome. I actually understood it fairly well surprisingly, I wasn't expecting that. It was still fun to watch hours of analysis on Youtube afterwards. Ethan Hawke put in a stellar performance.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
9926-jonathan-livingston-seagull-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

Jonathan Livingston Seagull - 1973 - ★★★☆☆

This was a weird one. Adapted from a novella based on a problematic seagull. It was quite the experience, I really enjoyed it for being so different.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched these 2 lately:

• 9/10: Amadeus - To me personally Murray pulled off one of the greatest acting performances ever here. Not just for the Oscars that year (which he did get) but for like... forever. Crazy acting. Movie's not for everyone since music is such a big part of it but to me it's a classic I can watch every couple of years.

• 7/10: National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets - Not as entertaining as the first one but entertaining none the less. Think they should have made it a bit less of a carbon copy from the first. I mean, them finding all these clues on historical items was already riddiculus the first time around but pulling the same thing AGAIN was.... yeah... They should have made the treasure hunt a bit different.

NahaNago

Got through watching expendables 2 and 3. I had an enjoyable time with the movie. I'd say the movies were around C+. Honestly feel like these movies should have been a bit more brutal, graphic, and over the top. Expendables 3 was a bit over the top but it looked cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom