• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving from PS4 to PS4 Pro - what is the process?

So I came here to see if I could get my 2tb HDD from my PS4 into my PS4 Pro and then stick the 1tb that comes in the Pro into my old PS4. Seems I can but wow that seem overly complicated.

I might just backup my important saves to the cloud and then just download everything from PSN.

It's not that overly complicated I don't think, its just that I wrote everything in detail so as to see if anyone would point out any mistakes I may have made.

I suppose a summary (without all the needed detail) would be:-

- Take out Pro 1TB HDD and back up Original Ps4 to it.
- De-activate Primary Accounts/Initialise System on Original Ps4.
- Take out Original Ps4 2TB HDD and put into Pro.
- Update Pro with Latest Full Firmware Sony Website via a USB Stick.
- Restore backup from 1TB HDD into Pro.
- Put 1TB HDD into Original Ps4 and update with Latest Full Firmware you've already got via the USB Stick.

I think?

What do you even mean by "risk"? All you need is just an ethernet cable. If there are some issues with your router you can just connect both PS4s directly to one another and don't use a router at all. There is no way this can't work unless you physically damaged ethernet port on your PS4. Whatever you are trying to do here sounds overly complicated.

Yeah I see your point - I didn't know I could connect them both directly via an Ethernet as I thought you had to use your router?

Anyways, I'm still not sure if it's my ps4 that has a problem with its LAN connector or if it's my router - my router works perfect for everything else I have.

LAN NOT CONNECTED appears to be a common problem with BT Router and Ps4 (or so my research of many many hours has led me to believe unless anyone knows how to fix this?) with what looks to be no fix from either BT or Sony. Sony says it's BT and BT says it Sony.

Like I said though, its possibly risky if it is physically the ps4 Lan and not the router. Surely, if it is the ps4 and its half way through transferring and I get a LAN NOT CONNECTED, I'd be fooked?!

edit: Also I meant to say by connecting via Ethernet (directly or via router) would still mean I would only have a 1TB HDD in my Pro rather than the 2TB which I have in my original ps4.

So my PS4 has a 2TB drive, the Pro has 1TB, so I don't want that drive. So I'm going to back up my saves from my existing PS4 drive, then put it into the new PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro will wipe the drive.

I'm going to put the 1TB hard drive from the Pro, into my other PS4 (we have an extra one for VR and stuff) and sell the regular PS4 that I use day-to-day with its original 500 GB hard drive.

Once the 2TB drive is reformatted and installed on the PRO, I will begin to redownload my games, and importantly, restore my saves.

I think that's right. Haven't missed anything. I would restore my current PS4 HDD onto the PRO but I don't have a 2TB drive to put the back up onto.

USF

I guess I can live with 1TB on the Pro although my OG has 2TB. Will just erase stuff until I reach <1TB, then use the ethernet method. I won't be selling my OG, so 2TB will be there whenever I feel like upgrading my Pro in the future..

I guess I can live with 1TB on the Pro although my OG has 2TB. Will just erase stuff until I reach <1TB, then use the ethernet method. I won't be selling my OG, so 2TB will be there whenever I feel like upgrading my Pro in the future..

Don't forget Pro will fill up quicker, with bigger file size screenshots and video clips.

USF

Don't forget Pro will fill up quicker, with bigger file size screenshots and video clips.

:/
Then I'll go with this:

- Put 1TB HDD into Original Ps4 and update with Latest Full Firmware you've already got via the USB Stick.

I think?

kikonawa

Yeah I see your point - I didn't know I could connect them both directly via an Ethernet as I thought you had to use your router?

Anyways, I'm still not sure if it's my ps4 that has a problem with its LAN connector or if it's my router - my router works perfect for everything else I have.

LAN NOT CONNECTED appears to be a common problem with BT Router and Ps4 (or so my research of many many hours has led me to believe unless anyone knows how to fix this?) with what looks to be no fix from either BT or Sony. Sony says it's BT and BT says it Sony.

Like I said though, its possibly risky if it is physically the ps4 Lan and not the router. Surely, if it is the ps4 and its half way through transferring and I get a LAN NOT CONNECTED, I'd be fooked?!

edit: Also I meant to say by connecting via Ethernet (directly or via router) would still mean I would only have a 1TB HDD in my Pro rather than the 2TB which I have in my original ps4.
You sure your cable is not defect?

It's not that overly complicated I don't think, its just that I wrote everything in detail so as to see if anyone would point out any mistakes I may have made.

I think?

How do I back up my PS4 2tb HDD to the 1tb Pro one?

My 2tb HDD is full but I can just re-download all the older stuff from PSN at a later date, I have gone entirely digital this gen.

Do I need to plug the 1tb Pro HDD into my PC or something? I have 8tb worth of space on my PC could I backup my PS4 2tb drive to that and then format the 2tb PS4 one, switch it over to my Pro, update and restore?

How do I back up my PS4 2tb HDD to the 1tb Pro one?

My 2tb HDD is full but I can just re-download all the older stuff from PSN at a later date, I have gone entirely digital this gen.

Do I need to plug the 1tb Pro HDD into my PC or something? I have 8tb worth of space on my PC could I backup my PS4 2tb drive to that and then format the 2tb PS4 one, switch it over to my Pro, update and restore?

Not sure if you can backup to your pc as you need to exFAT the HDD (unless you can partition 2TB and do it that way?) that then needs connecting to your original ps4.

If you use the 1tb Pro HDD, you'll still need to exFAT that and plug it into an empty caddy which you'll then plug into your ps4.

Once you have done a ps4 FULL backup, yes you can switch to the pro, update and restore as far as I can tell.

Not sure if you can backup to your pc as you need to exFAT the HDD (unless you can partition 2TB and do it that way?) that then needs connecting to your original ps4.

If you use the 1tb Pro HDD, you'll still need to exFAT that and plug it into an empty caddy which you'll then plug into your ps4.

Once you have done a ps4 FULL backup, yes you can switch to the pro, update and restore as far as I can tell.

I do have a 2tb extrenal drive somewhere around the house, could I plug that into my PS4 via usb and backup to that? Then wipe my PS4 2tb, stick that in the Pro, update and restore?

Tarnpanzer

I do have a 2tb extrenal drive somewhere around the house, could I plug that into my PS4 via usb and backup to that? Then wipe my PS4 2tb, stick that in the Pro, update and restore?

Yes, but this takes forever if your PS4-HDD is filled.

I delete all games except P.T. and transfer the data to an external HDD. Should not take to long.

Yep. Sounds great. Don't forget to format it to exFAT first though.

You don't need to wipe the ps4 2tb before you stick it in the pro, just de-activate primary accounts and initialise after you've done your back up.

Remember to quickly check the detail in my long post though to ensure all ok.

Yeah tried everything. Absolutely everything!

Like I said, Sony says it's BT and BT says it's Sony :-(

Thanks for the suggestion though.

BT has never played nicely with Sony hardware for some reason :( I'm hoping it's sorted on their new hub as I'm switching to BT in December. Previous issue I had was remote play outside the house would never work via the Homehub, but if I switched router it was all fine.

Moongazer

I'm planning on transferring to a PS4 pro via ethernet but there is some of conflicting info about how it should be done and I don't want to risk screwing things up. I watched a video which explained that you could connect both PS4s directly to each other. Is that not the case?

So which method is the correct one?

-Connect both PS4s directly to each other via ethernet

-Connect both PS4s individually to a router via ethernet

I use a ethernet hub which is connected to my network so I should connect both consoles to that right?

Yes, but this takes forever if your PS4-HDD is filled.

I delete all games except P.T. and transfer the data to an external HDD. Should not take to long.

But do you then have to re-download all your games? Maybe he has a data cap? I don't know I think my main source of info came from @ univbee, he says takes @ 150gb per hour so best to do it overnight. I wouldn't be surprised if it took some people longer to re-download?

Anyways, all options are good.

Yep. Sounds great. Don't forget to format it to exFAT first though.

You don't need to wipe the ps4 2tb before you stick it in the pro, just de-activate primary accounts and initialise after you've done your back up.

Remember to quickly check the detail in my long post though to ensure all ok.

Awesome I hope it all goes smoothly, thanks for the help.

Slightly off topic but does the Pro had a better Wifi chip in it? At the minute I use one of those powerline adapters for the PS4 but my XB1 runs amazing on Wifi AC. If it does have a better wifi chip and can do AC would that be better than using the Powerline adapter?

BT has never played nicely with Sony hardware for some reason :( I'm hoping it's sorted on their new hub as I'm switching to BT in December. Previous issue I had was remote play outside the house would never work via the Homehub, but if I switched router it was all fine.

Yeah I recently got a smart hub off them and yet to install it. I've still got a HH5 and plan to use it as a bridge or at least a Wi-Fi extender (not sure how to do it yet though but I'm sure it must be possible).

Hopefully I'll get it installed this week and I'll let you know if it works!

I'm planning on transferring to a PS4 pro via ethernet but there is some of conflicting info about how it should be done and I don't want to risk screwing things up. I watched a video which explained that you could connect both PS4s directly to each other. Is that not the case?

I use a ethernet hub which is connected to my network so I should connect both consoles to that right?

Agreed. That's what I was thinking - conflicting info. But the poster earlier @ Serious Sam, post #199 on page 4, says you can do it direct.

Do you have a link to the video saying it does?

Both methods are correct :)

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/transfer.html

KORNdoggy

this is honestly the thing stopping me from buying a pro at the moment.

i have a 1.5tb HDD in the current PS4. but if i put that in a PRO it will format it. i don't have any external HDD's to backup to. so i guess i would have to buy a new HDD for the PRO (2 TB) and then do a full system transfer from my 1.5tb PS4 to my now 2tb PRO?

i just wish the PRO came with a 2TB HDD. would make things less annoying.

JMY86

I am glad I stumbled onto this thread but I am kinda panicking right now. I really hope I did not screw myself. My PS4 is long gone to Amazon for trade in. I did a factory reset on the console and made sure my accounts were not on the system anymore but I did not deactivate it. I backed up all my saves on an SD card but I was just going to redownload my games. I went into my Playstation account and the only device listed is my old PS3.

Do you have to physically activate your PS4 as primary? I remember seeing the option to do so but I don't think I ever did it.

pswii60

i have a 1.5tb HDD in the current PS4. but if i put that in a PRO it will format it. i don't have any external HDD's to backup to. so i guess i would have to buy a new HDD for the PRO (2 TB) and then do a full system transfer from my 1.5tb PS4 to my now 2tb PRO?

Why can't you transfer from your PS4 to PS4 Pro via network option?

So my PS4 has a 2TB drive, the Pro has 1TB, so I don't want that drive. So I'm going to back up my saves from my existing PS4 drive, then put it into the new PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro will wipe the drive.

I'm going to put the 1TB hard drive from the Pro, into my other PS4 (we have an extra one for VR and stuff) and sell the regular PS4 that I use day-to-day with its original 500 GB hard drive.

Once the 2TB drive is reformatted and installed on the PRO, I will begin to redownload my games, and importantly, restore my saves.

I think that's right. Haven't missed anything. I would restore my current PS4 HDD onto the PRO but I don't have a 2TB drive to put the back up onto.

Even if it's saved to the cloud, I'd back up your saves on a USB stick. Shouldn't take too much room.

I am glad I stumbled onto this thread but I am kinda panicking right now. I really hope I did not screw myself. My PS4 is long gone to Amazon for trade in. I did a factory reset on the console and made sure my accounts were not on the system anymore but I did not deactivate it. I backed up all my saves on an SD card but I was just going to redownload my games. I went into my Playstation account and the only device listed is my old PS3.

Do you have to physically activate your PS4 as primary? I remember seeing the option to do so but I don't think I ever did it.

Sounds like you've not activated it as your primary to me so all good! :)

Yeah I wish it did too. I'd probably give the Ethernet transfer a go instead of having to use the backup feature.

If you wanted though you could get away with just using your 1.5TB as long as you've not used over 1TB by using the Pro 1TB as a backup (via a caddy) and then putting the 1.5TB into your pro. Then again, if you are full or near it on your 1.5TB original ps4, that suggests you may need a larger one anyway.

Can you not just uninstall some stuff on the 1.5TB drive and get it down to about 1TB then transfer that?

Seems a pretty weak reason not to get a console, just tidy some stuff up ;)

Moongazer

Agreed. That's what I was thinking - conflicting info. But the poster earlier @ Serious Sam, post #199 on page 4, says you can do it direct.

Do you have a link to the video saying it does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoIOifDL1vM
Mentions that you connect both PS4 directly via ethernet but doesn't mention that you need wifi to do it.

Connecting via my hub should work then. That link should really be put in the op as it would help clear all this up.

KORNdoggy

Can you not just uninstall some stuff on the 1.5TB drive and get it down to about 1TB then transfer that?

Seems a pretty weak reason not to get a console, just tidy some stuff up ;)

i'm not downgrading my storage for the sake of the PRO. 1.5TB is hardly enough as it is. i'm not going to go DOWN to 1tb. and with a console that will then capture higher res videos and pictures, it's going to fill up even quicker. 2tb should have been the baseline capacity for the PRO.

i'm not downgrading my storage for the sake of the PRO. 1.5TB is hardly enough as it is. i'm not going to go DOWN to 1tb. and with a console that will then capture higher res videos and pictures, it's going to fill up even quicker. 2tb should have been the baseline capacity for the PRO.

I agree it should have been higher, but would that stop me from buying one? Nope, I'm just dropping my 2TB in to the Pro and downloading my stuff again.

Chabbles

I was gonna do a backup too to keep P_T_, and then sell the system after i get the Pro and had transferred everything. But my OG PS4 wouldn't complete a database rebuild at all, kept giving me an error as the rebuild process was just about to complete.. The only fix was to initialize the system wiping everything....... So after loosing PT i took advantage of the gamestop trade-in for 195euro off the Pro earlier. Bye, bye PT

I was gonna do a backup too to keep P_T_, and then sell the system after i get the Pro and had transferred everything. But my OG PS4 wouldn't complete a database rebuild at all, kept giving me an error as the rebuild process was just about to complete.. The only fix was to initialize the system wiping everything....... So after loosing PT i took advantage of the gamestop trade-in for 195euro off the Pro earlier. Bye, bye PT

Oh damn! That's awful!

d9b

Banned
1. Yeah, just make sure your external drive is formatted to FAT32 or exFAT. The PS4 won't recognise NTFS because that's a proprietary Microsoft file system.

2. On your PS4 go to Settings -> PlayStation Network/Account Management -> Activate as Your Primary PS4 -> Deactivate.

Doing it through the website is a waste of time (and a deactivation) if you've still got your PS4 on hand.

Great stuff, I didn't know this. Just formated my external drive to exFAT and I'm ready to transfer all the stuff from my PS4.

Quick question:

Will all the updates/ patches transfer together with my games or do I have to re-download them?

As I've said already in this thread, just re-download it

Pretty certain you can and I did......

mMB4GgK.png

https://twitter.com/DaveP2611/status/782209045369413633

Even if it's saved to the cloud, I'd back up your saves on a USB stick. Shouldn't take too much room.

Yeah good shout. Probably a faster option too.

Though I don't really mind losing my saves. Most of the games I play are online and I like starting again on SP games anyway.

Half of the saves I copy over are only for the controller settings of online games... I don't want to have to reconfigure my sensitivity and whatnot.

Chabbles

Oh damn! That's awful!
Yep =(
But on the up side i get to take advantage of the gamestop deal i guess, i would have just sold my OG for 100.
As I've said already in this thread, just re-download it
I remember reading a thread on here about some way of re-downloading it alrite awhile back. Seemed like a bit of slobbering about though from what i remember, but ill probably try it anyway if its a cert to work.

Disktrasa

Banned
I have samsung spinpoint 2tb in my Ps4, works like a charm.

I can get a new spinpoint but it has been replaced (here in sweden) with a Seagatemodell 2tb, samsung is from 2013 and Seagate from 2016.

I want to trow in a new 2tb in my pro to, would you recommend Samsung or the new Seagate?

Asked earlier but no comments:

I deactivated my main PS4 less than 6 months ago so that I could activate on my kid's PS4 to use the Game Share feature.

Now I want to use the ethernet transfer from my main (deactivated) PS4 to my new PS4 Pro. Is this going to be a problem? Does the transfer force you to have all of your PS4's deactivated, and then force you to activate the new Pro?

Sitting here with brand new HDD, formated in exFAT and PS4 keep saying USB storage has not enough space... HDD is 1to, PS4 back up is 300go...

icespide

Banned
Sitting here with brand new HDD, formated in exFAT and PS4 keep saying USB storage has not enough space... HDD is 1to, PS4 back up is 300go...

did you format on a mac with disk utility? format again and make sure to select "master boot record" as the partition scheme

Toki767

So I'm currently backing up my drive.

Can I put the firmware required in the same USB drive? Or does that have to be installed separately?

Homeroids

Neo Member
I just did a whole ton of different processes in anticipating for this. Did this from a launch PS4 to a newer PS4, P.T. was preserved. Here's the rundown:

If you will have access to your old PS4 and the PS4 Pro at the same time, and don't need to migrate the old drive to the new unit (approximate time under best circumstances: 1 hour per 150ish gigs to transfer once it gets underway, so ideally do it overnight):

- Connect both PS4's to the same, ideally wired, internal network. Gigabit equipment is recommended.
- Set your video equipment so the PS4 Pro (or target PS4 for the transfer) is what's displayed on screen. You don't need to see anything screen-wise on the old PS4 (source PS4).
- Power both units on, so they're not in rest mode (on the login screen so the white light bar).
- On the PS4 Pro (target PS4) go into settings and go transfer.
- It will ask you to press the power button on the source PS4 until it beeps. Do so, this will trigger the transfer options.
- You will have the option to deselect specific things from the transfer, which may be required if your target PS4 doesn't have sufficient storage (e.g. your old PS4 has a 2tb and your new PS4 doesn't). You can select/deselect apps to your heart's content.
- You will be asked if you want to transfer the activation(s). If your source PS4 has multiple accounts flagged as the primary PS4, you will have to sign into each account you want to transfer (you can also skip transferring primary account status on a per-account basis). Note that doing it this way does NOT count against you for the 6-month timer, that's only if you mass-deactivate via the web store.
- Once the transfer is done you should be all good to go on the target PS4, with the source PS4 still having everything it originally did (other than primary PS4 status if you selected that). You may have to re-enter passwords for PSN sign-in but that's it, everything else including sign-in 4-button codes, all accounts, their saves, and whatever you had installed will be there. So will folders, although any folders which end up empty from the transfer are gone, but that's easy to re-setup and recreate if needed.

If you will be offloading your old PS4 prior to having your PS4 Pro (e.g. trade-in deal), or migrating your old drive to the new unit (approximate time: backup is 1 hour per 150ish gigs, and then repeat that for the restore), a USB storage device (USB 3.0 ideally) with sufficient storage and formatted as exFAT is required.

- Connect the USB 3.0 storage device to your old PS4.
- Use the backup option in settings to create a backup on the USB drive, should mostly be self-explanatory. I think you can selectively backup apps, but I forgot to check admittedly.
- Once it's done (note: be careful with this backup, you might even want to do another on another drive if you have the equipment and time, just in case) I'd recommend initializing the source PS4, which will also de-activate all accounts (this does NOT have a 6-month cooldown, that's just for deactivating via the website). Depending on your connectivity, you may want to do a trophy sync for any accounts, as that doesn't otherwise carry over.

- Now this is when you pull your drive out of the old model if applicable. Once you replace the hard drive in your old unit with a different drive or the drive it shipped with, it'll have to be restored using a USB storage device with the latest FULL firmware in the PS4\UPDATE folder. It's important to get the full firmware and not the partial one. On Sony's site it's the one intended for new drives, and should be over 800 megs.

- Get your new PS4 Pro or whatever, hookup your USB 3.0 storage device there. If you're upgrading its drive, do so before powering it on, and install the stock firmware from the USB storage device (see previous step for details)
- Go through its initial setup, skip everything until you get to the dashboard, and then select "restore" from the settings. Once it's done it'll restart; all accounts will be signed out and deactivated but it should otherwise 100% match your prior install. Re-sign into your accounts, set the console as primary, and you're good to go.

Bit confused about when you recommended to initialize the source PS4 and that this deactivates all accounts. Does it deactivate the PS4 because to deactivate a PS4 I thought you had to go here:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/activation.html

Whereas for initializing, the manual does not specifically say whether the actual PS4 is deactivated as the primary:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/restore_system.html

So, before I trade mine in I will:

1. Make sure I am signed into the PS4 (including sub accounts)
2. Just in case, backup all user data to a USB
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/data_system.html
3. Sync trophies just in case
4. Remove any easy to reinstall games I have physical versions of, eg Titanfall 2 at this time of writing had an 80mb patch only. Delete all physically owned games that have minimal install requirements. Saves a lot of wasted time on backup/restore
4. Backup my 2tb PS4 to an external 2tb USB attached drive
5. Now deactivate my PS4
6. Put original 500gb back in the to be traded PS4 which will cause it to initialize. Do not sign into PSN
7. Get PS4 Pro, put my 2tb 2.5in hdd in before turning on.
8. Have the 900mb System Restore handy on USB and have PS4 Pro set to go (make sure system software is same version)
9. Sign into new PS4 Pro and activate as primary
10. Perform restore from external 2tb HDD

Mudron

Just to make sure - the PS4 and PS4 Pro harddrives can be swapped once they've both been formatted & whatnot?

I'm giving away my old PS4 and would just like to slap the PS4 Pro 1TB drive into the old PS4 while I keep the 2TB drive I've been using in the old PS4 (and will pop into the Pro).

Dizzan

MINI Member
I just joined ps plus for month so my save games back up. Will it do it automatically or will do I have to do each game manually?

I'm old and only play single player games

Top Bottom