• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS is near to buy a studio that historically worked together with PlayStation (RUMOR)

TeamGhobad

Banned
Supermassive is working on Sony exclusives at the moment. Not sure it's them. QD and Bluepoint still seem like the likely candidates.

its not QD no chance of that and Bluepoint is a port developer neither are good buys. and key word was "a bit" QD has exclusively worked with sony.

Maybe Sony will retaliate by buying Studio MHDR. You think Sony will just sit back and watch MS scoop up all these studios and do nothing?

Last edited:
LMAO! .........WAIT, WHAT????
What ? Didn’t you know that Sony had broadband online first ? That Sony had a hardrive in every console first ? That Sony made FPS games popular in the console space ? That Sony made traditional pc developers come to consoles ?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Can Sony afford to go ham on buying studios the way Microsoft can? Maybe one-or-two but not at this quantity. I hear they are definitely growing internal teams though.

Gavon West

What ? Didn’t you know that Sony had broadband online first ? That Sony had a hardrive in every console first ? That Sony made FPS games popular in the console space ? That Sony made traditional pc developers come to consoles ?
Joke post??? Right?.......Right??!

Nevermind. Joke post. You got me there for a sec...fuck! Lol

Last edited:
For those of you saying Bluepoint, why? I can't see MS wasting their money on a studio that's major focus has been porting/remastering and has no original content and no experience whatsoever in developing a game from scratch. That gains them almost nothing in terms of game development. Bluepoint is the best in the business at porting/remastering, but they have almost no track record for their own games.
I could see them using them for many different things, one could be to remake or remaster older MS games, or work on a bunch of MS games to be X enhanced, or working with other studios for support, or work on their own games. Probably not them, but I could see them being a good asset for MS.

ANIMAL1975

Who made Knack? It's Knack studio baby! The GOTY of generations it's coming to the blue side,,,, let the rivers of tears flow!!!

Calibos

Insomniac - seems impossible at this point with Spiderman being such a success.

From Software - No way would they sell to MS

Quantic - doesn't seem likely since they love Sony

Housemarq - maybe

Ready at Dawn - probably. However, I oppose this as the Order not only killed the relationship with Sony, but also scattered the art department to the four corners of the earth.

I would personally love to see them pick up an Asian based, larger studio, but I think the barriers to this seem insurmountable.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Can Sony afford to go ham on buying studios the way Microsoft can? Maybe one-or-two but not at this quantity. I hear they are definitely growing internal teams though.

The studios Microsoft has acquired right now are not even big studios. Most of them are also in big financial problems....

theHFIC

Housemarque already has one foot in the grave with their last few releases and their dumbed down battle royale game coming out should push them over. MS can have ‘em.

Last edited:

Gavon West

The studios Microsoft has acquired right now are not even big studios. Most of them are also in big financial problems....
Not exactly. NT was in dire straights but that changed after Hellblade. PGG was pretty big to begin with. Obisdian has amazing RPG pedigree and the upcoming RPG was funded along with Take-Two as publisher for financial support.. The Initiative is a brand new studio - they have all the funding and resources they will ever need. The only ones that fit your bill is Compulsion Games (not entirely sure on them) InXile, and one more I cant remember. The rest seem pretty well to fair off.

Wait, just remembered. Undead Labs would be the 3rd. And I cant say with any real certainty that they were in dire straights either. I only presume as they are a smaller indie dev who had limited resources in the beginning. That certainly isnt the case now, but still..

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I wish it was square-Enix. Omg the meltdowns’
I'd be happy with just getting Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics, then maybe we could get some more Deus Ex.

edit for stupid phone screwing up

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The traditional approach is just to poach talent, because although IP can be owned, the people behind them are free-agents and can always be tempted by a better deal. That's the thing about buying studios, its more than a bill of goods.

STI

RIP to whoever being purchased

MS is known to ruin their purchases

RIP rare, RIP lion head , RIP Nokia

Last edited:
Not exactly. NT was in dire straights but that changed after Hellblade. PGG was pretty big to begin with. Obisdian has amazing RPG pedigree and the upcoming RPG was funded along with Take-Two as publisher for financial support.. The Initiative is a brand new studio - they have all the funding and resources they will ever need. The only ones that fit your bill is Compulsion Games (not entirely sure on them) InXile, and one more I cant remember. The rest seem pretty well to fair off.

Wait, just remembered. Undead Labs would be the 3rd. And I cant say with any real certainty that they were in dire straights either. I only presume as they are a smaller indie dev who had limited resources in the beginning. That certainly isnt the case now, but still..
Yeah the on,y studios in real financial troubles were InXile and maybe compulsion.
Anyway I believe it’s ready at dawn which would be a good acquisition since these guys have made mostly very good games apart from the order and even that served as a nice graphical demo at PS4 early days.

goldenpp72

Krobille said its not insomniac games. Sony need to get off their ass and resting on their laurels and make some moves, now. No more of this radio silence, no more taking the Japanese industry for granite. Make some moves, buy some smaller studios and build them up, make a 3rd party deal here or there, or buy a majority stock in a large 3rd party developer.

granite-coarse-grained-380.jpg

Gavon West

Sure but Forza? That was a direct attempt to have their own Gran Turismo.
GT was heat back in the day, I'll definitely give them credit there. But Forza took the crown from the onset.

I remember going to buy OG Xbox games when the system first came out, and reading the cover of the first Forza Motorsport. It said, "Better than Gran Turismo! " with a high review score next to it. I think it was EGM at the time. Anyway, nothing has changed since.

Last edited:
RIP to whoever getting purchased

WTH does Nokia, which was already dying, has to do with this forum ? Nokia missed the smartphone boat way before the MS acquisition. Rare is alive and well. Lionhead , well Sony closed a much more historic British studio , psygnosis, so I don’t see what’s so weird . Funny how we never see , for example, how playground studios became a star working in partnership with MS, while Sony closed evolution studios (a studio that specialized in arcade racing games too).

Hudo

Do the guys who did The Order: 1886 belong to anyone? Maybe Microsoft could be buying them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its probably worth noting that "mid-sized studio" is everything between tiny indies and those who do purely AAA titles. Its a huge range of possibilities.

Although RAD seems like a very likely candidate, I'd just stress that I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be a studio that is known for boxed product.

wipeout364

near 0 and most of the devs there would exit. not a reliable purchase.
Why would the developers exit? They don’t like money. Why would they care? They get paid to make games do you think they are extreme Sony fanboys. I mean they already make PC games.

Do the guys who did The Order: 1886 belong to anyone? Maybe Microsoft could be buying them.
Yep this studio is ready at dawn and is probably the studio Ms is buying. It’s resume , other than the order, is quite good too. Anyway MS will have over 20 first party studios making content for its platforms (Xbox, pc) before next gen begins.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
I'd say it's quantic dream. They are so ripe for acquisition. So silly for Sony not to have pulled the trigger on them. This industry is gonna consolidate a lot next gen I feel, it's started already.

demigod

0 chance its Insomniac after Sunset Overdrive. I'm betting its Ready At Dawn, they are probably in financial crisis. I'd hate to see them go exclusive, I actually enjoyed The Order and i'd place them above Ninja Theory.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd say it's quantic dream. They are so ripe for acquisition. So silly for Sony not to have pulled the trigger on them. This industry is gonna consolidate a lot next gen I feel, it's started already.

Nah, their last 3 major projects have been PS exclusive, thats more than a "bit".

BibiMaghoo

I very much doubt bluepoint. They have no IP's of their own. Not a good investment when their known for making other peoples games, albeit incredibly well. Insomniac would be my guess where it not for the fact they have remained independent for so long even when working almost exclusively for Sony platforms for a long time. This implies it is a priority for them, and I doubt they are desperate coming off the back of their most successful game.

Perhaps Quantic Dream is a good bet. They seem like the kind of studio that would need propping up and could offer titles MS does not have equivalents of on its systems. Their last release was also their most successful but no where near to the same degree as Insomniac.

RIP to whoever being purchased

Rare were fucked over being put on Kinect titles granted, but Lionhead turned out or didn't finish poor quality titles towards the end and Molyneux bailed. Nokia were destroyed by rival products. You don't keep running things that cost you millions (or billions in Nokia's case) and bring in no return. This is the fate of all companies in all industries that fail to perform. It doesn't matter if it is MS, Sony or Apple. If you are a drain financially, it is just a matter of when you are shelved, not if.

CJY

Banned
I also think it could Be supermassive (?) games. The devs behind Until Dawn. They are devving an exclusive game for sony at the moment, but MS will let them operate independently until that game releases and then they go Xbox exclusive.

I think its Ready At Dawn. cant think of much else beyond that Sony didn't work closely with many mid size developers really they either work with insomniac or a couple others

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I hope it's not Quantic Dream, I have zero interest in what they put out. What has Ready at Dawn done besides The Order? I might be more interested in MS getting that studio.

Keiji84

Banned

I notice that.

Come on guys. Microsoft doesn't have the balls to buy Quantic Dream or Insomniac (or both) :messenger_winking::messenger_winking:

Top Bottom