• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS is near to buy a studio that historically worked together with PlayStation (RUMOR)

Bluepoint? They did a lot of remaster work for Sony recently, wonder if it's them. I think they did the port of Titanfall for 360 as well. Great Developer.

Dabaus

Banned
Krobille said its not insomniac games. Sony need to get off their ass and resting on their laurels and make some moves, now. No more of this radio silence, no more taking the Japanese industry for granite. Make some moves, buy some smaller studios and build them up, make a 3rd party deal here or there, or buy a majority stock in a large 3rd party developer.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Let's start making a list of possibles. I have:

Housemark
thatgamecompany

Unknown?

Krobille said its not insomniac games. Sony need to get off their ass and resting on their laurels and make some moves, now. No more of this radio silence, no more taking the Japanese industry for granite. Make some moves, buy some smaller studios and build them up, make a 3rd party deal here or there, or buy a majority stock in a large 3rd party developer.
They’re building up their current studios and strengthening the talent there. They aren’t doing nothing.

As far as this rumor, doesn’t surprise me. Microsoft has been a “Sony too” company since the original Xbox. They’ve always made their own version of whatever’s popular on PlayStation.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They’re building up their current studios and strengthening the talent there. They aren’t doing nothing.

As far as this rumor, doesn’t surprise me. Microsoft has been a “Sony too” company since the original Xbox. They’ve always made their own version of whatever’s popular on PlayStation.
LMAO! .........WAIT, WHAT????

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I doubt it's Insomniac, but I can believe it's Ready at Dawn since Order 1886 supposedly soured that studio's relationship with Sony.

However, if it ended up being From Software (doubtful) that would be a MAJOR coupe.

For those of you saying Bluepoint, why? I can't see MS wasting their money on a studio that's major focus has been porting/remastering and has no original content and no experience whatsoever in developing a game from scratch. That gains them almost nothing in terms of game development. Bluepoint is the best in the business at porting/remastering, but they have almost no track record for their own games.

Last edited:

Lol. So like Halo, Gears, Fable, Crackdown, Fuzion Frenzy, Mass Effect, Ryse, Viva Pinata, Forza Horizon.. Yup. They always made their own version of whatever was popular on PlayStation. Lmao

Zeusexy

Sony is gonna have a baaaaad time next gen if they don't fix their relations with third party devs, especially japanese. That censorship policy will bite them in the ass and both Microsoft and Nintendo are making big moves in Asia.

Last edited:

Blam

Just like how Sony tried to make their own Forza, their own Halo, Gears? Failed with each attempt too.

Gavon West

MS gotta use all the company's money to crush the competition.
I dont know if that's not entirely true, but I will say that with all the acquisitions they are making as of late (and next gen being at least two years away...) They're making a hell of a statement about the brand and dev manpower as a whole. I mean, like, what they've been doing is unprecedented in gaming. And every studio just strengthens the other ongoing franhcises/devs. It's trippy to think they have all these new studios making new Ip's and Halo, Gears and Forza are STILL part of the lineup.

Hell of a statement, that's a hell of a statement.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bluepoint are too successful, and really their skill-set doesn't really mesh with what MS needs. RAD sounds more plausible.

I don't see any half-way successful Japanese company wanting to ally themselves with a publisher that has serially failed to make any headway in their home territory.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Bluepoint are too successful, and really their skill-set doesn't really mesh with what MS needs. RAD sounds more plausible.

I don't see any half-way successful Japanese company wanting to ally themselves with a publisher that has serially failed to make any headway in their home territory.
Bluepoint isn't "TOO" successful. They've basically done more ports than anything and, they are a mid-sized studio who has historically done work with Playstation "a bit". I wouldnt count them out...AT ALL.

Also, MGS is expanding in Asia with an HQ. The sole purpose is to close deals with developers and such. Wouldnt be surprised to hear of a Japanese dev house joining the ranks w/MGS.

Last edited:

Fbh

My guess would also be RAD. They seem to be struggling since The Order failed so I think they'd be pretty open to being bought.
But I wish it was Quanitc Dream. Sony could do cooler stuff with all the millions they give David Cage to make his crappy movies

Bluepoint would be a shame. They are probably the best at remastering/remaking games and there's not too many MS properties I want to see remastered

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bluepoint isn't "TOO" successful. They've basically done more ports than anything and, they are a mid-sized studio who has historically done work with Playstation "a bit". I wouldnt count them out...AT ALL.

Also, MGS is expanding in Asia with an HQ. The sole purpose is to close deals with developers and such. Wouldnt be surprised to hear of a Japanese dev house joining the ranks w/MGS.

Porting is Bluepoint's expertise, not design, they have no IP. Hence they don't fit in a platform exclusive ecosystem.

MS can build what they want in Asia, but nearly 2 decades of consistent dismal failure says to me that they aren't getting anywhere in that region sales-wise.

Gavon West

My guess would also be RAD. They seem to be struggling since The Order failed so I think they'd be pretty open to being bought.
But I wish it was Quanitc Dream. Sony could do cooler stuff with all the millions they give David Cage to make his crappy movies

Bluepoint would be a shame. They are probably the best at remastering/remaking games and there's not too many MS properties I want to see remastered
As I hear it Bluepoint is wanting to do their own IP. MSG would be a major gateway to achieving that.

TeamGhobad

Banned
ready at dawn went belly up with their dumb ball game. 1886 was a total failure sony's first this gen, it would not be a good purchase imo.

insomniac is too big imo to be bought.

im thinking super massive games

Gavon West

Porting is Bluepoint's expertise, not design, they have no IP. Hence they don't fit in a platform exclusive ecosystem.

MS can build what they want in Asia, but nearly 2 decades of consistent dismal failure says to me that they aren't getting anywhere in that region sales-wise.
MSG isnt looking to acquire Ip's so much as they are investing into the devs and the leadership attached to them. See PGG, Obsidian.

And I agree. They havent been able to make a dent in Asia before but, this isnt the same team as before either. Building an entire HQ dedicated to closing deals with Asian devs is a new strategy, clearly.

There is a new rumor in twitter.

3b2e08bfdc144fd1b80d01076e79bcf6c258b367284c1ab929611a85562e0ea5.jpg

Gavon West

ready at dawn went belly up with their dumb ball game. 1886 was a total failure sony's first this gen, it would not be a good purchase imo.

insomniac is too big imo to be bought.

im thinking super massive games
Supermassive is working on Sony exclusives at the moment. Not sure it's them. QD and Bluepoint still seem like the likely candidates.

ethomaz

Banned
Bluepoints seems weird because they just do ports (great ports).

RAD is the first to come in my mind.

Quantic Dream too but the "a bit" makes me put them out.

Ar¢tos

From Software was bought by kadokawa a few years ago, they wouldn't resell something that profitable. My guess would be RAD, their game after The Order wasn't a great hit and the studio might be in need of money just to remain open.
Quantic Dream has said that they really like working with Sony (probably no other publisher will fund their weird games).

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
MSG isnt looking to acquire Ip's so much as they are investing into the devs and the leadership attached to them. See PGG, Obsidian.

And I agree. They havent been able to make a dent in Asia before but, this isnt the same team as before either. Building an entire HQ dedicated to closing deals with Asian devs is a new strategy, clearly.

I'd put more weight on what Phil said about getting more PC-dna into their ecosystem, because it seems to me that their ambitions are not restricted to console market-share. As such I'd say look to companies as known for PC games and PC IP's as anything on the console side as potential acquisitions.

Gavon West

I'd put more weight on what Phil said about getting more PC-dna into their ecosystem, because it seems to me that their ambitions are not restricted to console market-share. As such I'd say look to companies as known for PC games and PC IP's as anything on the console side as potential acquisitions.
Who that has "historically worked with Playstation a bit" is also versed with the PC landscape? I cant remember one.

Top Bottom