• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS officially discontinues Xbox One X and XB1 all digital

Shantae

Banned
That seems crazy for the One X to be done already. I would have thought it'd make sense to keep that on the market at a lower price point. I guess the idea will be that Lockhart replaces the bargain entry point, if they ever announce what the damn thing is.

And yeah, One X has been non-existent in stores for months now, so it seems even crazier to discontinue it so soon. Unless stores get one last restock, there aren't a whole lot of Xboxs to get at a store right now until Series X comes out.

There was no way that they could have continued X1X moving forward. Would have thought they would have kept the X1SAD over the X1S but it's a better option for consumers that the X1S is the surviving SKU due to its disc drive.

Now drop the X1S price as low as possible and clear the way for Lockhart.

And once again, yes, the X1X needed to go because it doesn't fit in a 2 next gen sku plan--I'm saying this as somebody who got one right after launch.

Last edited:
Called it today, but thread locked. Oh, well...

So, they're still going to tie games to last-gen, but they won't let you buy it 🤔

Kinda puzzling since there are shortages everywhere for every console. I assume they have enough in warehouses and the problem is local logistics due to increased demand. As for the other tibbit....they want to keep those users from moving to the competition by providing content to play. It's about the Benjamins (always). Everything else around it is B.S from Phil putting a happy face on it.

Lockhart will

Exactly what I thought!
It will be a hard time to sell my xbox one x now.

If you wait for the Xbox Series X then Yes. People will be ditching consoles enmasse. If you sell now on eBay you'll make great money on it. Prices are holding up and demand is great.

Last edited:

FrankCaron

Makes a ton of sense. Xbox One X market is the same market as Xbox Series X. Probably means that the XSX pricing is going to be surprising to a lot of people and closer to XOX prior to the recent price drops. One S all digital doesn't serve them in emerging and global markets, and the idea of a "cheap" casual digital console is going to be irrelevant in a post xCloud world.

One S w/ Disc -> Cost conscious / emerging markets with bad internet; offline casuals
xCloud -> NA and Europe Casuals
XSX -> Global Console Hardcode Gamers
Windows Store, Steam, and Xbox Game Pass for PC -> Global PC Hardcore Gamers

I'm starting to become convinced they dropped Lockhart altogether. The xCloud tests must've proven it's viable enough for the casuals in main markets where connectivity is good enough.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
This is good. Imagine kids saying "Mom, i want a Xbox for christmas"
Mom gets to the store and sees this:

Xbox One S
Xbox One S All Digital
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series X All Digital
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series S All Digital

But i am surprised they kept the One S, would have been my last guess of the 3.

splattered

I guess this can also put to bed the constant FUD that Lockhart won't be as capable as X1X.

They wouldn't just delete the X1X as well unless Lockhart was a worthy replacement to both One S and One X.

onQ123

The fact that they didn't even redesign the all digital Xbox One pretty much tells you that they was just using it to test the waters while selling off leftover parts.

SleepDoctor

Banned
No surprise. This gen was a train wreck for them. They will push people to buy next gen xbox rather than an x1 if they're in the market for one while supporting those still holding on to theirs.

I really want to know the release date, it would be crazy town if they shadow dropped it or went here’s the price, available in two weeks like Apple do.

What if they release it in August, couple months before the 4K twins?

I didn't think of this possibility. Further blurring lines between old gen and new gen, they could announce release date at the event.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising at all. Also expecting the Xbox One Slim Disc Edition to be discontinued before November as well if it hasn't been already.

I can easily see Microsoft going with Xbox Series S at $200 and Xbox Series X at $400/$500 for launch. Four more months to go!!! Can't fucking wait!!!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is good. Imagine kids saying "Mom, i want a Xbox for christmas"

auxknx0.png

Excuse my quick and dirty photoshop

GHG

I'm not surprised at all. They're phasing current gen systems to make room for XSX and Lockart. This is good news as it will push the migration to next gen much faster and XSX may be coming out a little sooner than we thought

About that... :

You won’t be forced into the next generation.

They aren't interested in pushing migration apparently.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Every time I read one of these model names I actually have to stop and think about which exact console is being referred to. The consoles might be good (?) But the branding (after the XBox part at least) is terrible.

It makes sense. Keeping the One X around would not be good for consumers and the SAD is next to pointless as the One is being discontinued. Keeping the One S around is great as it provides a very cheap entry point and when xCloud launches will be able to stream Series X games.

The One X being the console kept (as many have suggested) would not be wise as Lockhart is supposedly around 4TF (my guess being 4.6) and One X is 6TF. As those numbers will be thrown around relatively often by console warriors, it would be confusing for customers to understand the Lockhart is the better system. Also, the One X is a lot more expensive to make so cutting it makes sense in that regard too

About that... :

You won’t be forced into the next generation.

They aren't interested in pushing migration apparently.

Xbox One S has not been discontinued. You can still buy used consoles. The key is that you can play Halo Infinite on XSX or OG Xbox One. MS is not lying here. At some point they have to discontinue some of the systems or it will be flooded with too many skus.

Top Bottom