• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSFT Launches Windows XP Game Advisor

[6/29/2004 10:50:38 AM ET]

Microsoft Corp. has rolled out its Windows XP Game Advisor, which as the name suggests, will help prospective buyers pick out games based on their computer’s hardware and ESRB ratings, while also allowing them to view screenshots and trailers from prospective games.
Developed in conjunction with Futuremark Corp. (3DMark), the Windows XP Game Advisor is available on www.windowsgaming.com.
Dean Lester, general manager of Windows Graphics and Gaming Technologies at Microsoft Corp., added, “The updated Game Advisor answers the system requirement questions that people new to gaming on Windows are often unsure about. Now you can pick the perfect game, and buy it with the confidence that it's also a good match for your PC."

Kon Tiki

Banned
Windows XP and Internet Explorer required

Windows XP Game Advisor requires the use of the Windows XP operating system and the Internet Explorer (version 5.5 or later) browser.

Funny.

Edit: Tried in IE, got to 80% then crashed. Fucking active x garbage. Seems like a great site/feature too.

IgeL

Well, it's a good idea at least. I just wonder if big and small publishers are on the same playing field - will EA's games get more "promotion" than others?

What's pretty cool though, is that they have TOP 10 PC games there as well (City of Heroes #1, wtf?). Has this data been publicly available before on NPD's site for example?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
ROFL.

"Microsoft Game Adviser advises that you buy Dungeon Seige, Age of Empires and 10 Xbox video game systems"

Mashing

Well considering it says "Here are the top ten games for Windows, by sales volume, for the week of May 23–May 29, 2004"

I'm inclined to say no... considering NPD doesn't release lists weekly do they? Perhaps it's just a retailer poll or from EBGames or Gamespot. Would be nice to have some clarification though.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mashing said:
Well considering it says "Here are the top ten games for Windows, by sales volume, for the week of May 23–May 29, 2004"

I'm inclined to say no... considering NPD doesn't release lists weekly do they? Perhaps it's just a retailer poll or from EBGames or Gamespot. Would be nice to have some clarification though.

It is more 3D Mark than MS. It is even on futuremark's site.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
It's not actually that clever. All it does is collect some system details (CPU, RAM etc.) and compare to a database of titles & their system requirements.

Considering how worthless & in some cases downright wrong most "system requirements" listed on the box by games companies are this app has zero worth IMO.

I tried testing my system again "Far Cry" - it had my Athlon 2500+, Radeon 9600XT based sysem at the top of the chart, with "Recommended PC" about 1/2 way down, that for me confirmed it worthlessness.

Freeburn.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Its a nice idea, seems they arent really getting my co-operation from publishers though. They need to work together to make a standardised system for showing users recommended spefications.

Freeburn said:
It's not actually that clever. All it does is collect some system details (CPU, RAM etc.) and compare to a database of titles & their system requirements.

Considering how worthless & in some cases downright wrong most "system requirements" listed on the box by games companies are this app has zero worth IMO.

I tried testing my system again "Far Cry" - it had my Athlon 2500+, Radeon 9600XT based sysem at the top of the chart, with "Recommended PC" about 1/2 way down, that for me confirmed it worthlessness.

Freeburn.

I've got the same video card/processor as you and had no issues with Far Cry. I couldn't run it with everything all the way up, but after some tweaking it looked awesome and ran at 60fps or greater probably 75-80% of the time.

Top Bottom