• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mueller says Manafort attempted to tamper with potential witnesses

Alfadawg

Banned
Game over.

These idiots have been so used to doing whatever they want, they dont know any other way.

bucyou

https://manafortdefense.org/

Why does this guy need donations for his legal fund? Isnt he like a multi millionaire with multiple million dollar properties?

Hes being charged with money laundering, bank fraud and tax fraud. I know mueller filed motions to seize his shit so the feds are probably in custody of any money they think was obtained by illegal means, which was probably most to all of it.

bucyou

I yield to no one in my disdain for President Trump. And I certainly have no brief for Manafort, who has been accused of laundering tens of millions of dollars from sources connected with Russia and the Ukraine. Thus my overall assessment is that Manafort has some significant legal exposure and that, given his role in the Trump presidential campaign, that exposure is of concern to Trump and of interest to the special counsel.

All that said, I think that the special counsel's allegations of witness tampering are rather ... thin. The FBI agent's declaration in support of the allegations is long on detail about what Manafort and the "Hapsburg Group" did before the elections and short on information about the tampering allegation itself. Drill down into the exhibits and you will see that only one, Exhibit N, is evidence of communications between Manafort and the witnesses he is alleged to have contacted in a tampering effort.

Study that exhibit and you will see that Manafort was successful in speaking to one witness (Person D1) for exactly 1 minute and 24 seconds. He attempted three other phone calls that did not connect and he sent two WhatsApp messages—one a link to an article describing his indictment and the other saying "we should talk." When asked about the contents of the conversation with Manafort, according to paragraph 14 of the FBI declaration, Person D1 said that "Manafort stated that he wanted to give Person D1 a heads-up about Hapsburg" and "D1 immediately ended the call because he was concerned about the outreach."

And that's it. Really. The other part of the allegation is that someone else, Person A, reached out to Person D2 and told D2, in a series of texts that "P" (presumably Paul Manafort) was trying to reach D1 to brief him and that "Basically P wants to give him a quick summary that he says to everybody (which is true) that our friend never lobbied in the US, and the purpose of the program was EU." A month later, Person A reached out directly to D1.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/manafort-tampering-allegations

just tray

Proof of Russian collusion? None. And 10 million dollars later....Mueller and Sessions will be gone this summer and indictments for many. And then people will see the truth. Real Russian collusion is #UraniumOne starring Mueller, Hillary, and Obama. That too will be addressed

way more

Imagine trusting your life to a pardon from Trump. It's like giving your toddler a match and hoping he lights the candles.

Dontero

Banned
Manafort attempted to tamper with potential witnesses.

Can someone explain me this sentence ? Because it sounds like bollocks.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Manafort attempted to tamper with potential witnesses.

Can someone explain me this sentence ? Because it sounds like bollocks.

He attempted to but didn't have much luck with that because those people went to Mueller.

Dontero

Banned
He attempted to but didn't have much luck with that because those people went to Mueller.

My point here is that "witness" is precise legal therm. "Potential witness" means someone ISN'T witness.

So in other words if someone talks to witness they could be charged for tempering.
If someone talks to potential witness he can't be charged because said person isn't witness.

This basically sound like weasel words.

The motion said nothing of the sort, unless you have a source?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/...=RelatedCoverage&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

In court filings this week, they said that starting in late February, Mr. Manafort repeatedly tried to reach the two journalists — with whom he had fallen out of contact until recently — to coordinate their accounts about their work to tamp down international criticism of Mr. Yanukovych for corruption, persecuting rivals and pivoting toward Russia and its president, Vladimir V. Putin. The prosecutors did not name the journalists, but three people familiar with the project identified them as Alan Friedman and Eckart Sager.

Both men fended off the overtures, which included phone calls and encrypted text messages from Mr. Manafort and a longtime associate, whom prosecutors have not named but was identified by people close to Mr. Manafort as Konstantin V. Kilimnik, a former Russian Army linguist who prosecutors claim has ties to Russian intelligence.

Instead of engaging, Mr. Friedman and Mr. Sager informed Mr. Mueller’s team of the efforts to reach them, according to prosecutors. Mr. Friedman accused Mr. Manafort of trying to “suborn perjury” by persuading him to lie to investigators, according to a declaration by an F.B.I. agent on the case. Neither Mr. Friedman nor Mr. Sager could be reached for comment.

Additional update, minutes ago - new charges:

Mueller Adds Obstruction Charge on Manafort and Indicts His Right-Hand Man

Last edited:
Proof of Russian collusion? None. And 10 million dollars later....Mueller and Sessions will be gone this summer and indictments for many. And then people will see the truth. Real Russian collusion is #UraniumOne starring Mueller, Hillary, and Obama. That too will be addressed
Wait what???

Do you live in parallel universe? That does not make any sence, or you for got the "/s" at the end.

Top Bottom