• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mulan estimated to have made $261 Million in US alone on Disney+

ManaByte

According to exclusive figures provided by analytics research firm 7Park Data, nearly 29% of U.S. households that subscribe to Disney+ purchased the $30 “Mulan” film through September 12th — far surpassing other popular (and free) titles on the platform.

During the company’s last earnings report, Disney said that the streaming platform has amassed over 60 million global subscribers. Assuming that U.S. households make up 50% of that total base (Disney has not yet broken out the exact number of U.S-based subscribers), 7Park’s data suggests that roughly 9 million users purchased the “Mulan” film for $30 a pop (29% of our estimated 30 million users.)

Under that scenario, net profits would pile up to $261 million for U.S. markets alone — and that’s on the conservative side.

Still, no matter how you slice it, the end result is a whole lot of cash for Disney — which will now maintain 100% of the profits verse a traditional theatrical release where box office revenue is normally split with theater chains.

The movie's budget was $200M.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Let me tell you (although you didn't ask and it adds nothing to the conversation) how I am ahead of the curve. Unlike you sheeple.
So, what you are saying ...is that heads have a curved shape, and that you do not like clothing made from sheep.

I like the cut of your jib!

TheMan

Wow, did not expect that. Granted, Mulan has the huge advantage of a wide open playing field for AAA movies being released on streaming first. Once this becomes more common (and it will) I think profits will go down.

Amory

It's a bad model, but I guess a lot of people don't care. I probably wouldn't care either if I just wanted something to throw on for my kids on a Friday night.

If I'm paying $30 for a movie, I want a physical copy of it or at least unrestricted digital access where I don't also have to maintain a subscription

sinnergy

Paging the tenet thread 🤣 now read my comments .
If they released mulan at 7 dollars it would have sold a shit load .

But yeah , old people at the top old models for profit. Instead of looking to user reach.

Last edited:

Amory

Numbers out of nowhere, I don't believe them at all.
Why? I think they're very believable.

We're still in the midst of a pandemic. I think a ton of parents would gladly shell out the $50 or so for the movie and a pizza.

The question is whether the model works after we're back to something that resembles normal. I'm skeptical of that.

cryptoadam

Banned
I thought this bombed?

So Tenet bombed and this made some good money.

With the way this pandemic is going don't expect them to allow theaters again till 2024.

Wonder Woman next please.

GeorgPrime

Banned

The movie's budget was $200M.

How much did it cost to produce the movie?

I thought this bombed?

So Tenet bombed and this made some good money.

With the way this pandemic is going don't expect them to allow theaters again till 2024.

Wonder Woman next please.

They shouldnt have launched TENET in the cinemas with Corona going around. Too many people avoiding it. Maybe they should have done the same and put it on a Streaming Service for 30 Dollar. lol

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
How much did it cost to produce the movie?

They shouldnt have launched TENET in the cinemas with Corona going around. Too many people avoiding it. Maybe they should have done the same and put it on a Streaming Service for 30 Dollar. lol

Tenet actually comes off as a movie that would work at home. I know Nolan is all about the cinema excperience but Tenet isn't an MCU bombastic movie.

Heard that the sound mixing sucked too and probably would of benefited from people being at home and being able to pump up the volume during the talkie scenes.

the thing about making 260 million is Disney isn't sharing that with theater owners. Since its on Disney + they don't have to give a cut to anyone so its all their money. This would be the equivalent of making 500 Million + at the BO.

you also need to take into account how many subs this may have driven to Disney +.

Alcibiades

Something is off with these numbers.

Another industry estimate had it at 33.5 million for the first weekend:

I thought that was a very frontloaded figure.

I think anything over $100 million and Disney would have been more public with numbers.

I guess if Trolls did $100 million and Scoob! supposedly had more downloads than that, Mulan doing $200 million wouldn't be too crazy. But I sort of assumed this would get around more on a basis of people sharing accounts than people actually buying it. Unlike Trolls, this doesn't expire after 48 hours. Also, you had less platforms than Trolls which I assumed would limit it.

trikster40

Yeah not buying those numbers either. Why pay $30 when you can wait a couple more months and watch it for free? Maybe they added how much they make each month from D+ for all subscribers on top of the money just for Milan?

Max_Po

Banned
Yeah not buying those numbers either. Why pay $30 when you can wait a couple more months and watch it for free? Maybe they added how much they make each month from D+ for all subscribers on top of the money just for Milan?

Dude, everyone is sick and tired of staying home. Plus no New Movies...

I was forced to buy is last weekend due to my sisters having free days. It is 39.44 CDN after taxes

🖕🖕🖕🖕

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$260 million of revenue for a movie only on a dedicated streaming service, where you have to do a sub fee on top of it.

Well movie lovers, get ready for more of this.

Don't blame me. I've only done Netflix tagging on to my brother's account for the past 2-3 years, barely use it, and I've never done any movie/tv sub plan or bought any digital movies for $5-10.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
The chinese government made accounts and bought it.

edit: glad to hear a bad movie failed.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
I don’t believe it for a second. No fucking way 30% of subs bought a widely panned remake at these prices. No way.

CCP supporters rejoice, I can't believe people would give their money for this corruption, they should give everyone who purchased this a free mutilated Uighur Muslim corpse

This is brilliant news.

I hope the mainstream abandon the cinema in droves and the theatres become a place for enthusiasts to sit and enjoy a film in peace without screaming kids and idiots on their phone.
My local cinema has a smaller 'premier' screen, with nice, big, comfy seats, a zero tolerance policy on talking or phone use, and that's 18+ only.

It is absolutely the best, even with the bigger screens being mostly empty and child free at the moment.

sol_bad

So their math was waaaaaay off. Only made between $60-$90 million.

https://www.ign.com/articles/did-mulans-vod-sales-beat-tenets-global-box-office

Yep, streaming will never surpass a theatrical run. And whoever said to release theatrical movies at $7 a rental ..... LOL ...... Disney would have made far less than 90 million if they did so.
Theatrical movies released as VOD are not sustainable. None of the studios are cheering about how much money their VOD releases made because they are making paltry sums compared to a theatrical run.

sinnergy

Yep, streaming will never surpass a theatrical run. And whoever said to release theatrical movies at $7 a rental ..... LOL ...... Disney would have made far less than 90 million if they did so.
Theatrical movies released as VOD are not sustainable. None of the studios are cheering about how much money their VOD releases made because they are making paltry sums compared to a theatrical run.
How would you know? It would have made more because more people watched.. maybe 100 million would have watched for 7 bucks 🤡 but the made it 30 and 20 euros .

Last edited:
Top Bottom