• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiverses, alternate dimensions, parallel universes, time travel and cross overs in video games and in media.

levyjl1988

Banned
Is it just me or when a franchise gets too big, they expand to new territory in the form of alternate dimensions, parallel universes, time travel and even potential cross-overs?
sYbb7fA.jpg
aim9xVw.jpg

Examples:

Super Smash Bros.
55E7KSC.jpg

Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse
4fyK9wJ.jpg

Star Trek
zQOkY9j.jpg

Pokemon
1pxComl.jpg

Loki
SPbJ16G.jpg

SoulCalibur
XIq0wux.jpg

Gears
ZlDPiHq.png

Monster Hunter
qUY9rfg.jpg

Playstation All-Stars
cAFPtVb.jpg

Mortal Kombat
WTmCgYg.jpg

Rick & Morty
tZGvJRE.png

Nickelodeon
1SWRS51.jpg

What are your thoughts on these trends?
What's your favorite cross-over?
etc.
Any more examples?

Last edited:

nowhat

I don't think "Into the Spider-verse" is a particularly good example. If you take any long-enough running comic character/franchise, things will get weird. All of the Spider-people were in the comics first.

(and we really need a Spider-Ham game)

Can't really put in the marvel/dc stuff, since alternate realities are a staple of those comic universe and they are just adapting those stories.

These also happen to be my favourite kinds of stories so I don't really mind.
Personally I think the coolest one was Nicole-458 in DOA4
WWE x KOF is pretty wild too though lol.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I absolutely loathe multiverses, parallel timelines, etc.

Once you reach that point in a franchise, it's basically just fan-fiction all the way down. Your characters become branded toys and masks to interchange and play with, rather than the very specific stories and arcs that originally gave them meaning.

Unfortunately, with trash corporations like Disney buying everything up and milking it ad nauseum, this is all you'll see going forward. It's far better to just consider all your favorite characters dead & buried, and ignore everything like this that they keep trying to push out.

Top Bottom