• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music News Thread

SirTerry-T

I'm probably very "late to the party" with this but I've been thoroughly enjoying this fella's content on YouTube lately. Some great little deep dives into one hit wonders, classic songs...bit of everything really.
The host has a very engaging manner too. I'm not familiar with the guy so I'm not sure if he is some big name in music journalism over there in the States?

Last edited:

Bullet Club

If I leave a particularly musical fart, is this the right thread to update NeoGAF about it?

Drop it like it's hot.

I'm probably very "late to the party" with this but I've been thoroughly enjoying this fella's content on YouTube lately. Some great little deep dives into one hit wonders, classic songs...bit of everything really.
The host has a very engaging manner too. I'm not familiar with the guy so I'm not sure if he is some big name in music journalism over there in the States?

I've been watching his stuff for a while. It's good.

SonicJams

New Guns N' Roses:

New Duran Duran:

Funny how Absurd is actually Silkworms from 20 years ago, without the chorus. Slash and Duff do it justice. Such an odd choice for a first single with them.

I do enjoy it though, but i also like Oh My God and the Chinese Democracy Album.

Last edited:

intbal

It's only a tiny little item of news, but it is music and gaming related.

A few months ago, I asked Alexander Brandon on twitter if he had an unmodified version of the Coffee House song from the Deus Ex: Invisible War soundtrack. He said other people had inquired about that song over the years and that he would look for it.

Today, he tweeted out that he found the original song file and he's looking for a way to release it. So, for myself and the other nine people on Earth who have been waiting to hear this for 18 years, our wait is almost over.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Between 1989 and 1994, Nirvana introduced a new and exciting brand of rock music to the UK – one that changed the musical landscape and influenced a generation of British youth.

Thirty years on since the release of their seminal album Nevermind, this documentary examines the special relationship between Nirvana and the UK – including the role Britain played in paving the way for their global success.

Featuring rare and unseen archive footage - as well as home movies shot by the band themselves - the film charts Nirvana’s rise from their very first British tour, performing in pubs and tiny gig venues, through to legendary (and infamous) TV appearances on The Word and Top of the Pops that helped cement their status as one of the biggest rock bands on the planet, taking ‘grunge culture’ from the underground to the mainstream.

Vagswarm

Here's another "new" GnR song.

That's been my favorite band since Sweet Child first aired on MTV, but I swear they are the laziest band on the planet. Been playing the same songs for God knows how long, and takes them a lifetime to release anything new... and when they do, it's not even new! Those songs are from the Chinese Democracy era, which didn't even include Slash or Duff as they're in the band now.

Bullet Club

That GnR song is pretty good, but it might be time for them to go back into the studio and record some new stuff, even if it's just a few singles.

Rod Stewart has a new song out. It's not too bad. I'm sure all of the Smooth FM/easy listening stations will be playing it a lot.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Really disappointed to read this:

Bandcamp has always been a great way to support artists. I often find I'm able to get records there when artists stores are sold out. In fact, happened just recently with Spoon's new album. This is really, really disappointing for me. Hopefully we still get a year or more before it goes straight down the toilet.

Bullet Club

vh8RUqc.jpg

Imagine buying The Wiggles on vinyl. Oh boy...

Bullet Club

Yes, but not so much with newly pressed stuff, I like getting old 80s 7'' & 12'' singles. I find them at recycle shops and places like that, although it's not that easy to find good (and cheap) 80s stuff anymore at most places.

And Rumors is great. Dreams going top 10 again on the singles chart last year helped push the album back up.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yes, but not so much with newly pressed stuff, I like getting old 80s 7'' & 12'' singles. I find them at recycle shops and places like that, although it's not that easy to find good (and cheap) 80s stuff anymore at most places.

And Rumors is great. Dreams going top 10 again on the singles chart last year helped push the album back up.
There are a few used places I'll shop at but the physical state of the records themselves can be sketchy. My nearest good stores are like an hour drive away unfortunately.

I'm slowly working on getting my collection up to where I want it. Too many old releases still to grab, though. I am tempted to start buying those off Discogs, as they seem to be fairly priced and the community actually cares about quality pressings & keeping the records themselves in good condition.

I've got 109 records on my shelf now, with 2 more on order. So really, maybe I don't need to buy more records but I absolutely love having them.

Bullet Club

I'm slowly working on getting my collection up to where I want it. Too many old releases still to grab, though. I am tempted to start buying those off Discogs, as they seem to be fairly priced and the community actually cares about quality pressings & keeping the records themselves in good condition.
Yeah I've been checking out Discogs too. Decent prices so I might order from there eventually.

I've got 109 records on my shelf now, with 2 more on order. So really, maybe I don't need to buy more records but I absolutely love having them.
That's about as many as I have and I also don't need to have them, because I mainly just listen to Spotify, but I really enjoy having them. It's a fun hobby.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well fuck me, this discussion led me to go out searching for a few LPs I've been meaning to pick up. Scored one from Rough Trade as it was on sale. 112 here we come. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Bullet Club

In the 70s, there was metal - Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple. And then there was punk, Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned. Two separate entities that rarely if ever mixed. However a band both subcultures could agree on was Motörhead.

Led by the hoarse rumble of Lemmy, with their first three albums they cemented their place as one of the loudest bands Britain has ever produced. But the lead single from their fourth album proved they could be metal heavy, mangle it with a punk attitude and still be able to crossover to the pop charts. This is New British Canon and this is the story of "Ace of Spades."

Top Bottom