• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Musicians that had great acting performances

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I was just thinking about this today. I think the most impressive I've been by someone crossing over in to acting is Eminem in 8-Mile. He shocked a lot of people with his performance, and was better than most actors with years of experience. He was definitely helped by the plot, but you can't deny he was powerful and great.

Brittany Murphy was superb in that film also, shame she passed so young.

3907f17ee878d798f35c52fc7e9f80b8.gif

My second mention would go to Justin Timberlake in The Social Network. Surprisingly great performance, he wasn't half-bad in In Time either.

teezzy

Banned
Courtney Love was wonderfully cast as the wholesome, supportive, love interest in Man on the Moon

50f57d65e78a42dac19dc437ee6d7bcc.jpg

So much so that I find it difficult to believe she didn't garner a more prominent role afterwards. Especially considering that she played a part which reflected a total 180 from her notorious public persona.

Bless your heart, Ms. Doll Parts

Legend.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I dunno.. "great acting performances" has a meaning to me that extends beyond what most musician/actors ever have done.

Good screen presence? Definitely a few; but not really great acting.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Its a shame that the film itself is terrible compared to the book.
I never read the book, so I can't compare. I just know the movie was entertaining when I watched it. Will put in a great performance. Maybe I'd feel differently after reading the book, but I doubt it. Hasn't happened often. I don't tend to get get too swayed by that. I don't go in to adaptations with mega expectations.
I dunno.. "great acting performances" has a meaning to me that extends beyond what most musician/actors ever have done.

Good screen presence? Definitely a few; but not really great acting.
Don't take my words too literally. I probably use the word great a bit too loosely. Any solid performances are welcome. My definition of great is probably a lot different than most people.
I thought 8-Mile sucked but it wasn't really the fault of the performances.
That's fair. What didn't you like about it out of curiosity? I thought it was gritty, raw and fantastic. Loved the rap battles.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to mention Ashley Walters and Kano in Top Boy as well. They are rappers, but made for great actors. Good show.

top-boy-bafta.jpg

I never read the book, so I can't compare. I just know the movie was entertaining when I watched it. Will put in a great performance. Maybe I'd feel differently after reading the book, but I doubt it. Hasn't happened often. I don't tend to get get too swayed by that. I don't go in to adaptations with mega expectations.

Don't take my words too literally. I probably use the word great a bit too loosely. Any solid performances are welcome. My definition of great is probably a lot different than most people.

That's fair. What didn't you like about it out of curiosity? I thought it was gritty, raw and fantastic. Loved the rap battles.
The film is I am legend in name only. It's a shame because its only a short story and shouldn't really need any changes to fit into a movie time frame. The book itself is definitely in the running for best vampire story ever.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Neil Young did a bunch of funny background character acting in the 80's in Human Highway, 68', and Made in Heaven.

Tom Waits performance in Dracula.

Sting's performance in Dune.

Top Bottom