• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvC:I Devs On Preserving Depth, Picking Characters, And Fixing Chun-Li's Face

WinFonda

Regarding no Xmen, or other non-MCU characters;

Mmmmmmm nope. Pretty sure people don't think of the characters they love based purely on function. By that logic, why make them Marvel or Capcom characters at all? Just use stick figures.

"We see that Coca-Cola has been your favorite drink for 20 years, so we can surmise you really like carbonated soft drinks. Unfortunately you can't have Coke anymore, so please accept this Baja Blast Mountain Dew as your new cola replacement. It has the same function, so try it!"

If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

Wow.

This game is beyond hope.

Dahbomb

Why the hell is Iron Man in the game then if Nova and Captain Marvel are already tri dash characters?

People just need to take these PR talks for what they actually are.. PR lip service. The product can speak for itself, we don't need PR lip service telling us what we do and don't want.

Next time they will remove Dante from the game and be like "hey this Gamora girl can run and gun while also being a sword user.. that's kinda like Dante right?"

Don't make me fucking laugh.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I know they only have a few month until the release, and that their options are limited. I also know there's more to the current state of the game than meets the eye. But I'm still not satisfied with how the game looks or any of the PR answers being provided.

I will continue repeating that, to me, the game's visuals look like trash-tier mobile jank. It's impacting my impression of the game and my willing less to try it. I want Capcom to know that so that when they perform a postmortem on anaylyze any disappointing metrics, that they factor this among other things, instead of purely blaming the market and absolving their headscratching decisions.

I want to support the game, but not at the expense of reinforcing everything about this game that I disagree with. But I'll still leave the door open and see how it ends up playing. It may be functionally solid, despite it's sinfully ugly surface.

Like, don't call yourself an artist if you had creative input for the game. Don't even add it to your resume. Don't tell anyone you worked on it.

...so ugly.

...so salty.

jackdoe

Peter Rosas: Since what you're literally seeing is the first 25 minutes of the Story mode, we wanted to make sure that you're just thrown into this world. We don't want to tell the slow story of Ultron Sigma, and this is kind of like the Age of Ultron comics where you're just thrown into it. Here's what's happening.

Peter Rosas: Oh yeah, man. Without talking too much about competitive products, I have played everything this year including Tekken 7, which just came out, and like you mentioned, [Injustice 2]. I feel really good about our Story mode. It is bonkers, man. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the story that [NetherRealm is] telling also, which is a little more dark and serious and stuff. But there's just these crossover opportunities [in Infinite that] can be so bonkers. It's not that the whole game is just quips and one-liners like that. There is a very nice story arc that takes you through an epic story and to the conclusion. Yeah, definitely. The first part is fun and it introduces the characters and it kinds of gets your feet wet.
Why don't I believe him? Especially since Inustice 1/Injustice 2's opening 25 minutes were pretty representative of how the story would be told for the remainder of the story mode.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If characters are just abstract functions, why does Capcom acknowledge Chun Li's face is ugly?

It seems perfectly functional. Two eyes, a nose, and a mouth. That's all people are really looking for in a face.

outsidah

Mmmmmmm nope. Pretty sure people don't think of the characters they love based purely on function. By that logic, why make them Marvel or Capcom characters at all? Just use stick figures.

Can't say it better than you did. What a terrible answer on his part.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
So the X-Men characters really were overtly excluded to satisfy the broader Marvel strategy of not involving the X-Men characters whenever possible. Thanks, Combo; we don't really need anything more than that (especially lip service regarding the 'function' they would have served).

That story demo was really bad. Hopefully the competitive side will be interesting in some form lest it go the way of SFxT.

Seyavesh

Did Combofiend compare the game's story mode to the Age of Ultron comic?

Oh boy.....................

maybe he meant to compare the game to it 'cuz everyone is feelin' like this whenever more things get revealed about it

ahXXesK.jpg

EulaCapra

My favorite part:
Michael Evans: The X-Men stuff, can't talk to. But I do want to talk about the character-selection process because I think it's important. There's three things we're looking at: Gameplay first and foremost of course. [.....] Then the third one is obviously the popularity of these characters. X was one we had to get in there. A lot of fans wanted to see X, so we brought him back. Then also we talked with Marvel very closely about their future roadmap, about what's gonna be happening. Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther. You know what I mean? Captain Marvel may seem like a strange pick, but she's fantastic. She fits the gameplay. She fits the story, and they're gonna be really pushing her as a strong female lead all the way up into the movie. We're trying to take everything into account and choose the best characters.

What the actual fuck. Uh, no. We understand why Captain Marvel is at the forefront, she's one of the most expected picks and not even a strange pick at all. And the modern Marvel fans don't remember the playable MvC X-Men? Like they don't remember the continued existence of X-Men movies and comics? This is terrible MCU versus FOX question fielding. I wonder how they'll spin the female tokenism in the leak base roster.

So the X-Men characters really were overtly excluded to satisfy the broader Marvel strategy of not involving the X-Men characters whenever possible. Thanks, Combo; we don't really need anything more than that (especially lip service regarding the 'function' they would have served).

That story demo was really bad. Hopefully the competitive side will be interesting in some form lest it go the way of SFxT.

No one is going back to UMvC3. This is going to be the Marvel game the pros play, especially if Capcom is putting up a lot of money. It won't be like how everyone went back to SFIV after being disappointed in SFxT. Worst case scenario, Marvel is dead.

thelastword

Banned
Better textures, remove the CA, 16xAF, get rid of all that blur, then you will be on track..Chun-Li needs an overhaul, I don't really comment on the way characters look in games, but come ooooooooon. She's ridiculously tall, not well proportioned and her face looks offffffffffffffffffffff...

ZangBa

Don't remember some of the X-Men characters? LMAO come on, dude. Logan was a great movie - better than that fast food movie MCU slop that gets shit out every year. Give me a break.

Gartooth

Yeah nobody knows Wolverine or Deadpool or Magneto but Gamora and Hawkeye are household names! Give me a fucking break, this is just pathetic PR bullshitting because they don't want to put Marvel under (well deserved) fire for holding out fan favorite characters.

MvC3 felt for the most part like a celebration of Marvel and Capcom's history. Infinite is an ugly, souless looking advertisement. I'm so glad Ryce leaked the roster so I wouldn't be holding out false hope that it would get better.

sinkfla87

The sad thing is I think I've loaded up the story demo one time and one time only. I would like to get more familiar with the engine and combo mechanics but I can't because your enemies are dead in 30 seconds and then you have to sit through more god awful "story" content. The game does look fun IMO and that matters the most, but the roster and major exclusions from said roster is a huge fucking disappointment.

sinkfla87

I wish that they lasted 30 secs.

Hahaha, I was rounding up :p. But seriously, how is anyone supposed to really get a "feel" for the game with that demo? It's terrible. The demo that was available to play at CEO should have been the one available for download. That's not Justin Wong's opinion but whatever lol.

Hahaha, I was rounding up :p. But seriously, how is anyone supposed to really get a "feel" for the game with that demo? It's terrible. The demo that was available to play at CEO should have been the one available for download. That's not Justin Wong's opinion but whatever lol.

They got blasted for no single player in SFV, so it figures they would show the story mode as demo. Funny how that backfired.

I think the focus on Chun Li's face is kinda bullshit given 90% of the characters moves, animations and models seem to be asset swaps with minor adjustments (to make them look worse).

Exodust

Banned
Say what you will about SFV, it's biggest problems reared it's head on release. It looked good till then, and in spite of me not liking the gameplay of its as much as I did past games, it's still fun.

But this? Holy Christ. Never has a game lost me completely on reveal and details. 2v2, infinity gems, mobile jank graphics, garbage ass demo, and a story mode you would never touch even if you bought the game. I wanted Mahvel, not this glorified MCU ad.

Ban Puncher

If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

o98rtDc.gif

Why the hell is Iron Man in the game then if Nova and Captain Marvel are already tri dash characters?

People just need to take these PR talks for what they actually are.. PR lip service. The product can speak for itself, we don't need PR lip service telling us what we do and don't want.

Next time they will remove Dante from the game and be like "hey this Gamora girl can run and gun while also being a sword user.. that's kinda like Dante right?"

Don't make me fucking laugh.

Yeah, I don't know why people seem to care so much about this.

We know the real reason why they won't include X-Men (or F4) characters. But they won't/can't say it, so they just bs their way through the interview. Doesn't mean anything.

kewlmyc

I feel bad for Peter having to say this PR bullshit. I guess it is his job now.

Yeah, I don't know why people seem to care so much about this.

We know the real reason why they won't include X-Men (or F4) characters. But they won't/can't say it, so they just bs their way through the interview. Doesn't mean anything.
Yeah, But I'd just rather they'd "No comment" at this point if those are the sort of justifications they'll give. It makes them sound highly misguided and it's not the sort of thing I want to support.

Socivol

This game is going to bomb so hard and it deserves to. Capcom has learned nothing from Street Fighter V and continues to be completely out of touch with what their fans actually want.

Ogodei

Aye, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of pretty much any franchise game, let alone a comic book crossover.

Neoxon

This game is going to bomb so hard and it deserves to. Capcom has learned nothing from Street Fighter V and continues to be completely out of touch with what their fans actually want.
If you mean the character stuff, it's mainly PR talk to cover for Marvel's petty bullshit. There's other stuff to blame Capcom for, which may be what you're referring to.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I think they should leave Chun Li's face. The focus on it isn't really backlash, it's more like a meme. There's a stark contrast between her face from past games, but that doesn't mean it's a bad face, and I think it gives this game it's own face.

IIRC fans wanted a substantial single player experience, so now MvC is giving it to you. Be careful what you wish for, marks.

What a shitty answer regarding the X-Men and FF.
Nintendo might as well stop putting Mario in their games and replace him with a jumping rectangle instead. Yeah, mechanics and gameplay matter, but if you're making a Marvel fighting game, people will care about the characters.

Top Bottom