• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My $5000 PC Is My House Money

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
$5k for that PC is crazy, man. That thing might be worth $3k at the most.
My buddy is building a pc right now.
4070ti/7800x3d pc is 2500usd and that's with shitty case, normal air cooler, no rgb, no additional fans, no peripherals, no monitor and cheapest x670 board.... and 1 nvme drive.
Shit is kinda expensive recently

Senua

4070ti/7800x3d pc is 2500usd and that's with shitty case, normal air cooler, no rgb, no additional fans, no peripherals, no monitor and cheapest x670 board.... and 1 nvme drive.
Angry Man GIF by Sealed With A GIF

Hudo

4090 is 2200+ right now if you can even get it.
Yeah, my point was that the pricing right now is fucked.

The 4090 is not and should not be a >$1000 card. It's just Nvidia trying to normalize new price ranges. And they will probably succeed...

$2000 for a fucking consumer graphics card is ridiculous and will hurt the market in the long run.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, my point was that the pricing right now is fucked.

The 4090 is not and should not be a >$1000 card. It's just Nvidia trying to normalize new price ranges. And they will probably succeed...

$2000 for a fucking consumer graphics card is ridiculous and will hurt the market in the long run.
4090 should not exist at all. It's a pure brute force card that uses a ton of power.
Lineup should end on 4080/ti and should be like 700$ tops

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You can still order the parts and ask the shop to assemble it all for a small fee. It's literally flushing money down the toilet buying a prebuilt.
When I bought the AMD equivalent of the OP pc I paid a little under $4000 for it and at that time I think I paid like $700 for the convenience of just having it delivered and if I have a problem I just walk it into Best Buy since I am a total tech member and they fix it, totally worth it at this stage of my life.

I get people wanting to build their own as I said, been there done that but to me it’s no longer worth the time or effort

Bottleneck. He doesnt need a 7800x3d with a 4070ti. Either pick up a 4090 or buy a cheaper processor.

Kikorin

Average PC gamer's hardware acting surprised when a Switch port doesn't match graphics he seen on his PC.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nah....I think the CPU is fine. He will want to upgrade his GPU long before he needs to upgrade that CPU. And the difference in saving from 4090 to 4070 ti is far greater than the $100-$200 or so he would save downgrading the CPU.
Plus depends on what rez he wants to play at, I know many still playing on 1080p monitors at higher fps and that cpu is ideal for that

Prebuilt is the best shit ever when on sale.
I got a prebuilt gaming laptop with a 2080 for 1100. Like lol
I mean, there's no such thing as a self-built gaming laptop, or any self-built laptop in general. But yes, good quality gaming laptops aren't really that expensive these days for what you get.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Some of us have been there and done that and don’t want the hassle anymore.

OP I have the same build in the 7900x 4090 PC and love it, it’s super quiet even under heavy load, grats on your purchase
It's not about building yourself, you can choose each part and have them build it for you

No more champagne for this house.
And not ordering fastfood anymore, only getting food from the food bank, no more new clothes, not more than 5 minutes in the shower once a week, no more vacations, once in a half year to the barber ore...ore....try to get a loan from the bank🤗

Nah....I think the CPU is fine. He will want to upgrade his GPU long before he needs to upgrade that CPU. And the difference in saving from 4090 to 4070 ti is far greater than the $100-$200 or so he would save downgrading the CPU.
Why would someone waste money like that for "future proof". A lot of 7800x3d potential is wasted, just till "it gets used in the future". It makes no sense. I would rather run a 7700X or even 7600X with a 4080 instead, this is the right pair.

Topher

Gold Member
Why would someone waste money like that for "future proof". A lot of 7800x3d potential is wasted, just till "it gets used in the future". It makes no sense. I would rather run a 7700X or even 7600X with a 4080 instead, this is the right pair.

Not necessarily. As HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 said, if he is running games at lower resolutions then the CPU is going to take on more of the load. The more pressing concern, in my mind, is that 1080p60 monitor.

MarkyG

Built mine myself but it literally has everything. It's stupidly expensive but I justify it by seldomly going out partying, I don't drink, don't smoke and have paid it all off. So I'm happy, for now. :)

I use it mainly for 4K gaming but also do a lot of video editing and watching movies over Plex.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor (£562.36 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£269.66 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£249.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory (£228.28 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£108.99 @ AWD-IT)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1799.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Case: *Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case (£124.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£139.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ 41.5" 3840 x 2160 138 Hz Monitor (£1149.00 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G303 SHROUD EDITION Wireless Optical Mouse
Custom: Steelseries Nova Pro Wfi (£329.99)
Total: £4961.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-01 14:06 GMT+0000

Oh, and HNY. :)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Built mine myself but it literally has everything. It's stupidly expensive but I justify it by seldomly going out partying, I don't drink, don't smoke and have paid it all off. So I'm happy, for now. :)

I use it mainly for 4K gaming but also do a lot of video editing and watching movies over Plex.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor (£562.36 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£269.66 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£249.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory (£228.28 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£108.99 @ AWD-IT)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1799.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Case: *Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case (£124.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£139.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ 41.5" 3840 x 2160 138 Hz Monitor (£1149.00 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G303 SHROUD EDITION Wireless Optical Mouse
Custom: Steelseries Nova Pro Wfi (£329.99)
Total: £4961.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-01 14:06 GMT+0000

Oh, and HNY. :)
jesus GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's not about building yourself, you can choose each part and have them build it for you
My PC being the same build as the OP just he got the larger better cooling case I can say Corsair is doing a good job picking some quality parts and I dont have the hassle in doing so

Not necessarily. As HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 said, if he is running games at lower resolutions then the CPU is going to take on more of the load. The more pressing concern, in my mind, is that 1080p60 monitor.
Yeah that pc is way overkill for that monitor surely he will replace that as well

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
4090 should not exist at all. It's a pure brute force card that uses a ton of power.
Lineup should end on 4080/ti and should be like 700$ tops
The 4090 should exist. What an awful take. It just shouldn't be $1600.

The writing was on the wall with the RTX 2080 Ti which wasn't even that much faster than the 1080 Ti. That was one of the smallest top card jumps to top card jumps we ever saw, ray tracing notwithstanding.

From $700 for the 1080 Ti to $1000 for the 2080 Ti. Do keep in mind, $1000 was false because the 2080 Ti was virtually impossible to find at that price. It was really $1100-1200. Then NVIDIA further boosted the price to $1500 with the 3090, and then $1600 with the 4090. That's lunacy. It doesn't stop there, however. NVIDIA figured they priced the 4090 too cheap and now it's actually closer to $1800 than $1600.

The price of the top card increased by over 2.5x in just 6 years. This is mind-boggling. That'd be like the PS5 Pro selling for $1000. The fact that AMD hasn't seriously competed in over 10 years, especially at the top-end has completely fucked over the market and looking at the future, it doesn't look like it'll change anytime soon.

Inflation and increased production cost don't justify jacking up the prices to that extent. I bet at $1200, NVIDIA would have maintained similar profit margins as back then but obviously, this wasn't enough for them.

clarky

Gold Member
When I bought the AMD equivalent of the OP pc I paid a little under $4000 for it and at that time I think I paid like $700 for the convenience of just having it delivered and if I have a problem I just walk it into Best Buy since I am a total tech member and they fix it, totally worth it at this stage of my life.

I get people wanting to build their own as I said, been there done that but to me it’s no longer worth the time or effort
I built my last two, I don't think ill build another. I'd rather someone else do the graft these days and if theres a problem i can just get them to sort it.

Tg89

Price for performance for PCs is terrible these days unfortunately. It's the best way to play most things, and the way I'll always go, but it really is in a shitty spot with hardware prices.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
OP, what kind of games do you enjoy playing?

No one needs a top of the line PC to enjoy PC gaming. A 4090 is a very extravagant purchase. It’s up to you to look at the type of games you play and decide on what kind of PC you really need.

clarky

Gold Member
OP, what kind of games do you enjoy playing?

No one needs a top of the line PC to enjoy PC gaming. A 4090 is a very extravagant purchase. It’s up to you to look at the type of games you play and decide on what kind of PC you really need.
This. My 3080 crapped the bed so I kinda side graded to a 4070 and was very surprised just how capable it actually is.

There are every few games on the market that will actually tax a 4090 unless its some unoptimized piece of shit.

hinch7

At 5k I'd expect a custom water loop in that system. Hideously overpriced. I guess if OP is happy...

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Some of us have been there and done that and don’t want the hassle anymore.

OP I have the same build in the 7900x 4090 PC and love it, it’s super quiet even under heavy load, grats on your purchase
I did that same thing been there done that, but people need to learn more before buying prebuilt as they are most of the time “snapshots” in time builds which prevent you from upgrading the motherboard or ram in the future. It’s basically locked to that spec.

This. My 3080 crapped the bed so I kinda side graded to a 4070 and was very surprised just how capable it actually is.

There are every few games on the market that will actually tax a 4090 unless its some unoptimized piece of shit.
or you play VR... or triple screens... etc

MacReady13

I built my last two, I don't think ill build another. I'd rather someone else do the graft these days and if theres a problem i can just get them to sort it.
I'm looking at getting a company here in Australia (Scorptec) to build my gaming PC from parts I choose. They only charge a small fee and they have a 2 year warranty I believe. Just takes the risk out of it for me who has never built and wants a hassle free exerience.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have built a few of my own and 2 of my wife's gaming PCs but even her last one was a prebuilt (stuck her using a 7900XTX vs my 4090 for science) ;)

I built a few for family members as well and most have gone well but had one that did nothing when hitting the button so had to troubleshoot on my own which was a massive pain in the ass

Now pretty much all my PCs just come from Best Buy since I am a Totaltech member but I also must add they are one of my corporate sponsors so when I was in negotiations with them on top of payment I requested Best Buy credit yearly so I have to spend it on something

clarky

Gold Member
I have built a few of my own and 2 of my wife's gaming PCs but even her last one was a prebuilt (stuck her using a 7900XTX vs my 4090 for science) ;)

I built a few for family members as well and most have gone well but had one that did nothing when hitting the button so had to troubleshoot on my own which was a massive pain in the ass

Now pretty much all my PCs just come from Best Buy since I am a Totaltech member but I also must add they are one of my corporate sponsors so when I was in negotiations with them on top of payment I requested Best Buy credit yearly so I have to spend it on something
The actual putting the thing together is simple enough. But when one component doesn't want to play ball or BSOD etc things become a pain. I used to relish the challenge of figuring things out.

These days i hardly have enough hair to rip out and would rather someone else deal with the stress lol.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Wasted money.. the price to performance ratio isn’t worth it. Unless money is no object of course you will still want to upgrade around the same time as everyone else in a year or 2.

Zathalus

PC pricing is only really stupid at the extreme high end. You can build a 7900XT/4070 Ti PC for around $1500-$1600 which is more then twice as powerful then a console. Which will be perfect for 1440p/144 or 4k/60.

Reallink

Your buddy's a retard like the OP. 7800X3D + Mobo + 32GB RAM bundles are under $500, base 4090 is $1599, case need not exceed $100, RM850 PSU's $100, Peerless Assassin's $30, 1TB Nvme's are like $40. That is under $2400 for effectively the fastest consumer gaming PC in existence. No idea how the fuck you could even spend $5000 unless you're literally lighting money on fire and flushing it down the toilet.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Your buddy's a retard like the OP. 7800X3D + Mobo + 32GB RAM bundles are under $500, base 4090 is $1599, case need not exceed $100, RM850 PSU's $100, Peerless Assassin's $30, 1TB Nvme's are like $40. That is under $2400 for effectively the fastest consumer gaming PC in existence. No idea how the fuck you could even spend $5000 unless you're literally lighting money on fire and flushing it down the toilet.
His buddy is in Poland. So PC parts are going to be a bit more expensive and the bundles you get in the USA will not apply. You can still build a PC with the components he listed for around $1800 though.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
His buddy is in Poland. So PC parts are going to be a bit more expensive and the bundles you get in the USA will not apply. You can still build a PC with the components he listed for around $1800 though.
How can someone build a 7800X3D 4090 32GB complete system for $1800 when on PC Part Picker the very lowest 4090 I see, a PNY is $1844 and that CPU is $450?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was referring to the build rofifs buddy was attempting to build. With the 4070 Ti.
Oh gotcha yeah I was in Micro Center in Indianapolis last week and even saw prebuilt 4070Ti system there for a shade under $2000 and thought it was a pretty decent deal

team america vomit GIF

Can’t believe someone actually bought that abomination of a build.
Late Night Haters GIF by VH1

You can get a good prebuild as long as you know what to look out for.

If you have the money but limited on time it makes sense. If you don’t have the money you should have enough time to build yourself a good rig that fits your budget… it’s that simple.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Late Night Haters GIF by VH1

You can get a good prebuild as long as you know what to look out for.

If you have the money but limited on time it makes sense. If you don’t have the money you should have enough time to build yourself a good rig… it’s that simple.
Its kind of funny how many people here care about how much money others spend on their toys and love to put them down for what they consider spending too much

Owl Jelly GIF

Top Bottom