• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My California DMV registration renewal = $321, WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember it costing anything like that much in recent years, it's usually around half this amount. WTF is going on - is CA jacking up fees in an attempt to dig itself out of bankruptcy, or what?

$56 registration fee, $255 license fee, plus another $10 for "county/district fees".

All so they can send me a plastic sticker. What a fucking racket.

goMaki

I heard they were raising the fees. If mine goes up that much, I'm screwed. >< Thank goodness it's not until December. :(

Barrett2

This is the same state that up until 2008 gave heavily subsidized college tuition breaks to illegal immigrants, but denied subsidies for Coast Guard Members. Just saying... the state legislature has made some insane decisions over the years.

Is that for a new license plate? Getting new or transferring old plates costs a couple hundred bucks here in Illinois. However I just renewed my plates for the year for $78. I do have to live with 10.25% sales tax here in Chicago though...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
lawblob said:
This is the same state that up until 2008 gave heavily subsidized college tuition breaks to illegal immigrants, but denied subsidies for Coast Guard Members. Just saying... the state legislature has made some insane decisions over the years.
You mean benefits to large possible voting groups

Just had to get mine renewed in Il, 10dollars. New card and all with vision test. But they also dropped the renewal date from 5 years to 4 years it seems >_>

Juice

I recently just bought a new car, and b/c I put both my name AND my spouse's name on the title, I suddenly was no longer allowed to transfer my plates in Ohio. Sucked huge, since I literally just had to hand them the old plates to recycle and get new ones.

I had *just* renewed the old plates, too, but I didn't see any kind of prorated discount. BS.

Ulairi

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Fucking outrageous, I don't even get a Hybrid discount. California can lick my nuts!

What? You don't get a hybrid discount? I think you should go back and tell them that you are very progressive and demand a lower fee!

Tarazet

Goes up for all cars renewing after April 1. Oh yeah, and the sales tax goes up a point on Wednesday as well. Happy April Fool's Day!

HoTHiTTeR

Gary Whitta said:
I don't remember it costing anything like that much in recent years, it's usually around half this amount. WTF is going on - is CA jacking up fees in an attempt to dig itself out of bankruptcy, or what?

You have a new $30k+ vehicle I'd imagine. 2008 or newer?

My 06 Civic Si was just $206 - it's based off purchase price and state fees, then adjusted vehicle age until it hits the floor.

mj1108

SapientWolf said:
I'm glad I live in Arizona. I don't have to renew my license until 2049. I'll be 64 years old by then. :lol

We're talking about vehicle registration. Not drivers license.

car registration taxes are the biggest fucking joke in the world. Put it state taxes or something
there's nothing I hate more than having to put effort into paying the government money
mine is $189 FUCK

Gary Whitta said:

...and I was bitching when it went up AGAIN in Ohio.

It's a fucking sticker!?!?

ronito

Honestly it's just stupid. What do they think poor people are going to do in an economic down turn? They'll just drive without a registration.

Triz

Fuck me. I was wondering how much the change would hit me for. Now Im afraid to see my Registration come in the mail.

SapientWolf said:
I'm glad I live in Arizona. I don't have to renew my license until 2049. I'll be 64 years old by then. :lol

its not a license, this is your registraiton, which you have to renew every year. The tags on your car.

unomas

Banned
Fuck, I thought it was bad when Wisconsin went from $55 to $75 for the sticker last year. Hell I remember when it was under $40 a year. WTF is going on?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Wow, the Governator won't dare increase tax on the rich fuckers, but for your everyday working-class joe, I guess a big fuck you to em.

There's gotta be more to his situation and what kind of car he drives. I just paid my registration and it was like $75 in CA. My wife just paid hers and it was $170. Her car has always cost way more than mine so it has nothing to do with timing either. I drive an Acura RSX and she drives an Acura TL.

linkboy

My registration on my new Ranger only cost me $37.

Being stationed in Montana and being in the military, all I had to do was bring in my LES (military version of a pay stub) and I got one hell of a military discount.

Without my LES: $350
With my LES: $35

God I love that little piece of paper.

Everdred

Marty Chinn said:
There's gotta be more to his situation and what kind of car he drives. I just paid my registration and it was like $75 in CA. My wife just paid hers and it was $170. Her car has always cost way more than mine so it has nothing to do with timing either. I drive an Acura RSX and she drives an Acura TL.
The car you drive has a big difference. I payed around $220 for a 2006 Nissan Sentra when it was new. The next year I paided $180 for it. Then I bought a 2008 Subaru WRX which was $360 last year and is $308 this year. I have nothing on my record, no parking tickets or anything. Seems to go by type/age of car?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
strange_booj said:
The car you drive has a big difference. I payed around $220 for a 2006 Nissan Sentra when it was new. The next year I paided $180 for it. Then I bought a 2008 Subaru WRX which was $360 last year and is $308 this year. I have nothing on my record, no parking tickets or anything. Seems to go by type/age of car?

A couple posts above yours:
HoTHiTTeR said:
You have a new $30k+ vehicle I'd imagine. 2008 or newer?

My 06 Civic Si was just $206 - it's based off purchase price and state fees, then adjusted vehicle age until it hits the floor.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Gary Whitta said:

Did you miss the part where the California legislature increased sales tax 1%, increased the personal income tax, increased car registration by 125%, and decreased the child/dependent tax credit by $200?

Oh yeah, the California media somehow forgot to mention that.
Derp.

Another thing, look forward to more tax increases this summer when the 2009 budget is already underwater and they need more revenue for 2010.

Also for those in Los Angeles County, have fun with your 11%+ sales tax starting April 1st. Good job idiots.

Reminder: Vote yes on Prop A to increase these taxes for another two years and decouple the CA budget from population growth/inflation rate indexes to flat revenue. This means uncontrolled increases in future budgets and increased tax burden for the citizens. Also, voting yes for Prop A means $8 Billion in blood money to the CA Teachers union.

I hope this state fucking implodes.

bumpkin

You won't get any pity from me, man. Here in New Hampshire, we pay ridiculous "town taxes" on our cars every year when we register them; it's to balance out our lack of sales and state income taxes. The first year I had my car, the taxes *alone* were $324. Registration was another $50 on top of that. This year was $270 in taxes... Supposedly it goes down something like $3 per $1000 of the MSRP of the car, starting at $18 per $1000 when it's new.

Ulairi

Banned
California is run the teachers union and the public employee union. They own the state. This is what happens when you let the inmates run the asylum for so many years. The tax burden is anti-growth, the government is crowding out private investment, and the state is not sustainable. I'm awaiting for California to default on its debt. There needs to be major cuts in spending to EVERYTHING in California, stop the automatic increased spending on things like healthcare and education. The state cannot afford it.

It's sad that I grew up in San Francisco and I couldn't afford to move back. My fiancée and I both make good money but we couldn't afford a house in the Bay area. It's a great boon for states like Nevada, Oregon, and Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom