• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend hired me as a bouncer at his bar. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get sunglasses so you can do ocular pat downs without anyone noticing.

ha, I understood that reference.

cdd0bbaa358baacbfd7da1dd8c4a91195cdd2f10108cf408256c88ce0ecf0f14.jpg

Koppai

Wear a tight tank-top that shows off the ass-ets. People see your muscles and will less likely to start shit in your prescence. :3

EDIT: Maybe wear layers. You never know when some asshole will have a knife on them or something to stab you with...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Always know where your people are. If there's two of you on staff, each guy needs to be aware of where the other is at all times, plus your bartender. If you're not within eyeshot, you need to be on the radio.

Be careful who you grease. Consider the time and place when extending those lineups. If you do, make sure you send a little to the wait staff (and make sure you get your percentage from their tips as well, all's fair, yo).

Be polite, but firm. When you make a decision regarding a patron's status at the bar, stick with it. Related to that, hands-on is the absolute last resort, but if you're going to do it, do it. Learn some simple holds before you start, and have your witnesses in place beforehand if at all possible.

Have fun!

Keep in mind you'll be required to assist in positive situations as well. Expect to help the staff re-arrange the tables and chairs. Expect to help the fallen drunk girl to stand up. Expect to provide a light to smokers, etc.

Learn the form

averagobrotv_punched_by_digi_matrix-d765sfo.gif

Seriously though, this era of bouncing is over. I was a bouncer for close to five years in as many clubs. Back then, it was all about creeping from behind to apply the standing rear naked for me, but I worked with people who would cold-cock people like this guy and they almost always had to watch their backs when not at work. One guy I used to work with was greeted with a gun to his face going to his car one night by some guy he punched.

My advise: Bulk up, be cool, and take jiu jitsu. If you're striking with someone, you've failed at your job.

On another note: be prepared to notch that bedpost. No joke.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Legally, how do bouncers have free reign to assault like that? Especially unprovoked.

That's not assault. It's clearing your personal space. If it was assault he would have set down his cup.

commedieu

Banned

GOD DAMN, lol.

Seriously though, this era of bouncing is over. I was a bouncer for close to five years in as many clubs. Back then, it was all about creeping from behind to apply the standing rear naked for me, but I worked with people who would cold-cock people like this guy and they almost always had to watch their backs when not at work. One guy I used to work with was greeted with a gun to his face going to his car one night by some guy he punched.

My advise: Bulk up, be cool, and take jiu jitsu. If you're striking with someone, you've failed at your job.

On another note: be prepared to notch that bedpost. No joke.

image.php

MilkBeard

Look mean, OP.

Also, stand right in the middle where there are the most people, and if someone accidentally bumps into you, give them a really mean look, like you're about to kick their ass.

My town has two bars we frequent. One is a laid back place with a single older bouncer and across the street is the more nightclub style place. The bouncers at the club are complete assholes who kick people out like asshole. The guy at the other bar is the nicest motherfucker I've ever met, always remembers our names and makes an effort to say hello every time we're there. Even though the assholes could lay me out in a second, I would much sooner start shit with them than with the nice older guy.

So, be nice, I guess.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cue the yourealreadydead.jpg posts.

It's your typical college dive bar. I regular the bar pretty often– hardly to drink, really just to smoke a cigarette or two and escape– so I know the inner-workings and type of crowd I would have to deal with.

I heard my friend was asking around for a bouncer so I immediately went to see him about it and applied. To be honest, the only reason I applied for this job is that I'm struggling to make ends meet since my company has suffered massive layoffs and my hours were butchered severely. I'm not doing too well. I know this can be a dirty job but I'm willing to do my best.

I'm currently average body type, but I still have a quite a bit of muscle on me leftover. I used to be in much better physical shape, but I'm currently hitting the gym to try to bulk up for a small boost of intimidation factor. Anything that will deter unwanted physical confrontation, no matter if it just lowers that chance by 10%, is more than welcome. As far as self-defense, I'm a pretty good boxer, but not much else.

Has anyone here ever worked some sort of security detail or been a bouncer at a club? What kind of tips and advice can you offer me? I'm going into this pretty blind, but this is my only option right now until something else better comes along.

I work at a prison. Get big mofo, get big.

Also remember, no matter how big you get, someone is bigger. Use your brain and your mouth before using force.

My advice would be to kindly advise the young patrons upon entering to go to another location. Someplace with less Affliction tee's and more Lilly Pulitzer sundresses.

That's just me though.

Blues1990

From what my friend had told be, with his experience as being a bouncer for a rough club:

The most effective bouncer is the kind that can spot a troublemaker before he starts causing a ruckus, in addition to prevent that person from finding an excuse. Having good restraining skills and an authoritative voice are important assets, but it's also important to have a calm, steady demeanor. It's also important that you should NEVER go and humiliate a customer, as that's the point when the troublemaker(s) will not take any shit from you.

Good luck, mate.

Syrinx

One of my old college professors used to be a bouncer. He said that the best thing you can have is a good, intimidating glare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom