• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia Anime |OT| Go Beyond! PLUS ULTRA! (No Manga spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvaPot

Please no Manga Spoilers of any kind, there is a VERY ACTIVE manga thread for that right here (My Hero Academia Manga OT) or the Spring Anime OT.
hcNfGjn.jpg

Studio: BONES (Fullmetal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, Space Dandy)
Based on the Manga by Kōhei Horikoshi published in Weekly Shonen Jump.
IHaj4u9.png

In a few words: A boy wants to be a hero but doesn't have any powers while everyone else in the world does.

Midoriya Izuku, a teenage boy in middle school, lives in a world where superpowers and abilities, known as "quirks", have become commonplace and are an active part of society. Midoriya too wants to become a hero and help people, but he is one of the very rare cases who lack superpowers. Not one to give up, he still wants to join the best academy for aspiring Superheroes, Yuuei Academy, and use his knowledge to
be the best hero he can possibly be.

Why should you watch it?
If you liked Shonen series like Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter and early Naruto, chances are you will really like this series.This is a show that is not afraid to go in unexpected directions with its characters and features something that is extremely rare nowadays: A smart shonen protagonist that is both endearing and relatable, while featuring a big cast of characters with colorful and well formed personalities that bounce out of each other.

b4GaHss.png

Izuku Midoriya
Our protagonist. A teenager born quirk-less, he still works hard to become a Hero.

Katsuki Bakugou
With the power of producing explosions, he has a explosive personality to go with his quirk!

All Might
PLUS ULTRA! The greatest hero of them all, he protects the city and is what every hero aspires to be.

Ochako Uraraka
A hard working girl with an upbeat determination, she has the ability to remove gravitational pull of any object, making it weightless.

Tenya IIda
Serious, yet diligent, this boy can transform his legs into engines and run at top speed!

Tsuyu Asui
She is a Frog Girl. Ribbit.

And even more!

EtPQeFq.png

It airs every Sunday at 17:00 (JST) with 13 episodes scheduled. The first episode will air on April 3rd 2016.

Funimation got the license for My Hero Academia for the US, Canada, UK and Ireland and will stream the show as it airs in Japan. You can get more info about the Funi streams here: http://www.funimation.com/p/myheroclass

~~~Anime Previews~~~
PV1
PV2
PV3
PV4
PV5
Funimation Trailer

~~~Staff~~~
Director: Kenji Nagasaki
Scriptwriter: Yōsuke Kuroda
Character Design: Yoshihiko Umakoshi
Music: Yūki Hayashi

~~~Cast~~~
Daiki Yamashita as Izuku Midoriya
Nobuhiko Okamoto as Katsuki Bakugou
Kenta Miyake as All Might
Ayane Sakura as Ochako Uraraka
Kaito Ishikawa as Tenya IIda
Aoi Yūki as Tsuyu Asui
Ryō Hirohashi as Minoru Mineta
Marina Inoue as Momo Yaoyorozu
Yoshima Hosoya as Fumikage Tokoyami
Tatsuku Hatanaka as Denki Kaminari
Toshiki Masuda as Eijirou Kirishima
Yūki Kaji as Shouto Todoroki
Eri Kitamura as Mina Ashido
Kōsuke Kuwano as Yūuga Aoyama
Kei Shindō as Kyōuka Jirō
Masakazu Nishida as Mezōu Shōuji
Kōsuke Miyoshi as Mashirao Ojiro
Kiyotaka Furushima as Hanta Sero
Kaori Nazuka as Tooru Hagakure
Tooru Nara as Rikidō Satō
Junichi Suwabe as Shouta Aizawa
Hiroyuki Yoshino as Present Mic

Rules and Suggestions

1) Manga Spoilers should go to the Manga Thread (Click here) and are heavily discouraged in the Anime thread, if you have the need to discuss manga spoilers in relation to the anime, be sure to spoiler tag them AND mention they are manga spoilers. A good Hero is always mindful of others.

2) Everything aired is fair game and there is no need to spoiler tag it. If you haven't watched the most recent episode yet, avoid this thread until then. A good Hero is always well informed.

3) Avoid sexually explicit pictures, remember some of us are at work or with grandma. If its something you wouldn't show grandma, you really should consider not sharing it here. A good Hero is always looking out for his peers.

4) Do not link to any sites where you can watch the show unofficially and also do not discuss anything related to said sites. This is basic NeoGAF ToS, sames as scans. A good Hero always upholds the law.

Thanks to kipichu and the Manga OT community for the help in making the Anime OT =P.

Kaizer

Banned
Very excited to check this show out, I've been buying all the manga volumes on Amazon & just started reading them on my iPad last week. Finished Vol. 1 and currently halfway through Vol. 2 - I can't put it down, so good!

Definitely reminds me of early Naruto in some regards but the pacing is really good. Also cool to see Funimation seems to be pushing this show really hard already & has plans for a broadcast dub.

Mothman91

Manga reader here, beginning was slow to me but right now the manga is sogood.gif. Don't know if other people have the same opinion as me, don't know how they're going to do this adaptation. Will watch of course.

Nightbird

We dodged that Toei bullet, so we should be fine, at least for a bit. The previews look absolutely awesome.

Yeah you're right. The previews do look absolutely great!

Also, you made a small mistake in the OP: you wrote that it beings on Dec. 3rd, and not April 3rd :p

SalvaPot

Manga reader here, beginning was slow to me but right now the manga is sogood.gif. Don't know if other people have the same opinion as me, don't know how they're going to do this adaptation. Will watch of course.

For me the first three episodes are extremely strong, and from there the pacing was a joy to read. I do agree with you that the current chapters are up there in quality. Feel free to join us in the Manga OT, we are discussing the latest chapter!

Yeah you're right. The previews do look absolutely great!

Also, you made a small mistake in the OP: you wrote that it beings on Dec. 3rd, and not April 3rd :p

The OP says it Launches Dec 3rd.
Anyway so excited to see Froppy on screen.

Nice catch, thanks a lot, fixed!

Blues1990

I don't trust the look of that All Might guy, what's his deal?
Don't worry, All Might is like an amalgam of just about every American superhero stereotype, in which he's friendly, colourful, & has a lot of dramatic flair. His optimistic, can-do attitude (that borders on being obnoxious) is his most obvious trait, & the guy always wants to do the right thing.

Puruzi

Banned
Off to a damn good start. Can't wait for this. :D

Guess this is the way some of these new shows start? Just give them 13 episodes, see how popular it is before going all in? Really do wonder how much they can even cover in 13 episodes.

They can end it at a decent stopping point with 13 episodes.

Tizoc

Smart shonen protagonist? Dude was a wimp from the first issue, he's about as Shonen-y as a Shonen protag could get @_@

dani_dc

Smart shonen protagonist? Dude was a wimp from the first issue, he's about as Shonen-y as a Shonen protag could get @_@

Spoilers maybe (really more of a description of the character)
He can think an formulate plans, he analyses everyone else ahead of time.

A typical shonen protagonist is someone like Luffy or Goku, not particularly intelligent, and definitely not a wimp.

And by "eventually", you mean a one-cour break.

We already know Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans is scheduled to return in the fall. They haven't explicitly confirmed that it'll be running in the Nichigo slot again, but it's highly likely that it will be. That means My Hero Academia won't be able to air in the same slot in the fall, and it's practically unheard of for a split-cour show to alter its timeslot between cour.

Tizoc

i'm not sure how being weak equates into not being smart

It's more his personality and behavior, it's what turned me off from the manga when I was reading it.
But if he ends up planning ish all HxH-like I'll give the anime a watch.

Grexeno

We already know Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans is scheduled to return in the fall. They haven't explicitly confirmed that it'll be running in the Nichigo slot again, but it's highly likely that it will be. That means My Hero Academia won't be able to air in the same slot in the fall, and it's practically unheard of for a split-cour show to alter its timeslot between cour.
It would be more insane for it to be only 13 episodes

It's more his personality and behavior, it's what turned me off from the manga when I was reading it.
But if he ends up planning ish all HxH-like I'll give the anime a watch.

I like it, its endearing without being obnoxious. Some of the panels in the manga really hit home and i hope the anime captures that well

The animation in the trailers looks good. Who did One Punch man? Same studio right?

Edit: seen Madhouse handles OPM. I asked cause I love how they handle speed. Which
will eventually be a part of how Midoriya gets around.

NEO0MJ

The animation in the trailers looks good. Who did One Punch man? Same studio right?

Nope. OPM was done by Mad House (though it seems a lot of freelancers joined them for that show) while this is being done by Bone, who are usually no slouches themselves when it comes to good animation.

The thing I am most excited about for this anime is that we'll finally have a weekly 'Shonen' manga being adapted into an anime, where the anime follows a 13-episode seasonal format instead of what we've seen from other recent animes like One Piece or Naruto. Those later animes had their storytelling pacing destroyed due to the anime always being so close to the manga, so i'm hopeful that this newish approach to an anime being adopted from a manga might do well & take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom