• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Chase17

Before even getting to recap, One Piece currently has a 2.5 minute long OP, and then goes through the name of each straw hat. It's great.

Moaradin

Don't think this can be compared to what Toei does. It doesn't air forever for one thing. It goes on breaks. And Bones is actually putting a lot of effort behind it.

cntr

Banned
Don't think this can be compared to what Toei does. It doesn't air forever for one thing. It goes on breaks. And Bones is actually putting a lot of effort behind it.
I'm comparing it to Toei because they'd have no reason to stretch out Season 2 other than greed. Not to mention that they're planning to stretch out the arcs after the Sports Festival, they'd have to adopt Toei-style techniques.

I'm waiting for Episode 2 since maybe Episode 1 was just a bit of first episode weirdness, but yeah. I don't blame Bones's animators for the mess of Season 1, though, it's probably something the execs forced onto them.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The new OP just seems really lazy with the stretching. It's a tournament arc. They are stretching. Get it? There's a lot of creative ways you can do a tournament arc OP, and it's not like they weren't avoiding spoiling encounters by their presentation at the end.

The darkening of the end of the OP is obnoxiousness. There is no way that would cause seizures. I say this as someone that has a family member that has photosensitive epilepsy

There!Great news! Same day dub pretty much confirmed for the whole season. Also means it will look super good! Episode 1 was already really pretty.
They mentioned that Episode 10 was done when the dub production started, yeah
Pretty sure they only confirmed the first 6.

cntr

Banned
Pretty sure they only confirmed the first 6.
Bones finished animating episode 10 when Funimation started production on the dub.

The new OP just seems really lazy with the stretching. It's a tournament arc. They are stretching. Get it? There's a lot of creative ways you can do a tournament arc OP, and it's not like they weren't avoiding spoiling encounters by their presentation at the end.
I wonder if it's an updating OP? Eh. I'm probably expecting too much.

The darkening of the end of the OP is obnoxiousness. There is no way that would cause seizures. I say this as someone that has a family member that has photosensitive epilepsy
They can't really do anything about that 'cause legal stuff. Blame Porygon.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Bones finished animating episode 10 when Funimation started production on the dub.

I wonder if it's an updating OP? Eh. I'm probably expecting too much.

They can't really do anything about that 'cause legal stuff. Blame Porygon.

I mean, the OP should be out of date in less than 12 episodes......

cntr

Banned
I mean, the OP should be out of date in less than 12 episodes......
Well, assuming they pace the show properly from now on, OP2 would have to cover several arcs and either spoil everything or update regularly.

So why not do the same for OP1? The Sports Festival has multiple parts, it'd work.

...yeah, I'm expecting way too much.

They updated the 1st ending so an updated op 2 is a possibility, but I dont see any reason to do it. Just have a new one once the second cour/ arc starts like every other anime.

Btw I do like to point that in the great new opening, BONES gives us a Kirishima streching moment over any other possible character. BONES knows Kirishima is best.

TheFlow

Banned

I love the new op.

Permanently A

Ooooh, I was wondering why all of the action scenes got really dark. Thought it was an animation technique or something.

cntr

Banned
Ooooh, I was wondering why all of the action scenes got really dark. Thought it was an animation technique or something.
Yeah it's been a law in Japan that daytime shows must dim the screen when there's bright colors on screen, ever since that Porygon thing in Pokemon.

Doesn't apply to nighttime shows, and they won't be there on the blu-rays.

TheFlow

Banned
I think going from 11 to 25 episodes is the biggest reason for a a recap episode.

note I only watched half of the episode so I have no idea how much is recapped.

An entire episode wasted on recap? This show must be lower budget than I figured.
What do you mean an entire episode? It had like 4-5 minutes. Are you sure you watched 14 and not 13.5?

Also low budget? what? The episode looked super good.
------------------------------------
Easily my favorite part from the episode...it was crazy good.(excluding the intro of course)
giphy.gif

jett

D-Member
What do you mean an entire episode? It had like 4-5 minutes. Are you sure you watched 14 and not 13.5?

Also low budget? what? The episode looked super good.
------------------------------------
Easily my favorite part from the episode...it was crazy good.(excluding the intro of course)
giphy.gif

The entire episode was filled with flasbacks and callbacks to the first season. It was a recap episode. Fuck-all happened.

edit: So this season is going to be twice as long? Man I sure hope they got a handle on the pacing issues of S1.

cntr

Banned
I wonder how they're going to handle the fanservice, because the manga typically tries to make it tasteful, while Season 1...missed the mark a lot. Like how Mount Lady gets a one panel low-key pose in chapter 1, but an extended scene in episode 1.

Hmm. I guess there are more important things to worry about at this point, but still.

icedragon08

Neo Member
The entire episode was filled with flasbacks and callbacks to the first season. It was a recap episode. Fuck-all happened.

Only the first minute, the letter and the stuff at dekus home were flashbacks (4-5 minutes). Everything else was adapted 1:1 from the manga including the stuff where All Might talks with the othe heroes.

Still would have loved more chapters per episode.

My Hero Academia 13.5 eng dub

So I was looking at what to watch on Funimation and yoooo they dubbed episode 13.5 of MHA which kind of surprised me considering they don't usually dub recaps, but I guess since it's MHA they did it anyway.
As for the recap episode itself it was pretty well edited, the change in music for some key scene made for some cool yet different moment, Deku crying when All Might tells him he can be a hero still gets me every damn time. Justin Briner really nail the fanboy side of Deku. The mid part focus on character intro and details with top AAA quality art by Deku(he's the best). Pretty cool way to do it. The one part that really got me was during the edited All Might vs Noumu fight and all the music stopped only to hear Christopher Sabat scream PLUS ULTRAAAAA!....god damn he nailed it so well! It sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. It finshed with a cool little ending with water-like color of some scenes. Well done recap I enjoyed it.

------------------------------------------------------
BONUS a great cover by Pellek, his voice really fits the OP2 well.

Ascheroth

Episode 15

This was great.
Pacing was on point, it looked great, and was just fun all around.
That quick training montage of everyone preparing for the festival in their own ways was so good. This is how you expand upon the manga in a good way.

My Hero Academia 15
Oh yes that was amazing! I just love how full of expression each scene is. The attention to the little details makes everything character feel more full of personality. It made everyone feel so *alive*. I'm reall liking how BONES is handling the characters this season so far. They make all of them so much better. They are expanding on all the good spots too.(Loved Mineta haha)Also love him or hate him but you got to agree with Midoriya. Bakugo is evolving as a character, he got beaten by Midoriya once and he is fully ready to show that he is the best.
The highlight this episode was definitetly Todoroki and all the animation surrounding him. The way they handled the motion(I guess this is direction) and the way they adapted the action was 11/10! Him running with the ice explosion behind him(Holy shit)

SO THE FESTIVAL AS BEGUN!!! YEAAAAAAAAA

cntr

Banned
I'm seriously disappointed they did 2 chapters instead of 3, because come on, the next chapter is a great ending point for an episode.

Sounds like it wasn't awful, but that's so discouraging, man.

Ascheroth

I'm seriously disappointed they did 2 chapters instead of 3, because come on, the next chapter is a great ending point for an episode.

How about you watch it instead of being negative because of arbitrary chapter numbers?
The pacing was great.

Haha, insta negative, this is so ridiculous at this point.

Do you know the that volume 3 ends with the next 2 chapters? I can tell you that it's a great spot.

Top Bottom