• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My house got burglarized

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, yesterday--probably sometime in the early evening or late afternoon--someone broke into my house and my neighbor's house, turned out all of our shit, and stole most of our valuables. What was surprising was that they left pretty much all of our electronics alone (although they did break my external hard drive by dropping it onto the floor), but they took things like jewelry and other valuables.

Some things I learned:
1. Dusting for prints is basically useless. Our duster person was able to determine that the assailant wore gloves, but even if they didn't, I learned that dusting relies on extraordinary luck. It doesn't work on textured surfaces, it doesn't work on smudged prints, it doesn't work when there are too many prints, they don't do doorknobs and light switches, and even if it does work, the conditions required for leaving a usable print are crazy! Even when she was trying to show me what they were looking for, she had me press my hand on a mirror, and she dusted that...and that print wasn't even usable! I had to redo it, rubbing my forehead first, and then pressing the glass harder.
2. Fingerprint dust is fucking im-fucking-possible to fucking clean. It's easy to wipe off of glass surfaces, but good luck with anything else. It's so fine that it embeds itself into any porous or scratched surface, and it's going to stay there forever.
3. Check your homeowner's insurance! As it turns out, my policy looks like it has good coverage, but--surprise!--that limit also has sub-limits on it, such as a $3,000 maximum for all jewelry! So whoops! Of the stuff that got jacked, a few pieces, alone, are worth more than that, so I'm boned! Whee! Check your policy.

Anyway, the most important thing is that I'm safe, my wife is safe (we weren't home), and our dogs are safe. The burglars threw some nuts and prunes onto the ground to distract the dogs, I assume, but luckily that stuff isn't toxic to them, and they didn't hurt the dogs any other way.

Stay safe!

No Love

Banned
Fuck those losers, I hope they get hit by a truck.

Sorry that you got jacked, I've encountered those scum as well. Be ready because they might come back.

M52B28

Banned
How long where you out for?

If you're just stepping out for a few hours, you can get some smart home protection like Nest or many other alternatives for peace of mind.

Also, look into a nice, hefty safe.

Arkeband

Banned
When I was younger, our car was broken into in our garage, and we caught the thieves because they picked up my mom's Hootie and the Blowfish sampler CD and threw it back.

They left a big fat set of fingerprints on the case. They stole all of the rest of the CD's and a bunch of other stuff.

They were caught with all our car's stuff the next day because their prints were in the system..

Sorry man, I've had it happen myself and it's a horrible feeling. Didn't have as much taken from me as it sounds like you did. It sounds like you're taking it in stride, in 5 years it will be a tiny blip on the radar. They'll get what's comin.

When I got burglarized the feeling of someone being in my personal space was so much worse then loosing the material stuff. U just feel violated.

This happened to me. I'm glad you mentioned home owners insurance. If you don't have it, get some, and if you do have it, review what it covers and your deductions and limits.

Also, if you are a collector, take photos and keep a detailed list. I collect a lot of video games, and when they were nearly all stolen, the insurance people didn't put up a fight when I said "listen, I got this game that's worth 500 bucks" and the agreed to pay it.

Also, for video games, especially modern ones, my insurance company basically had a blanket rule that modern games were about 37 dollars each (they average prices from Best Buy) and older games are about 20 or so. This worked out fine most of the time except for my truly rare ones, but since I had photos and records of every game and system I owned, they never balked even at some of the ridiculously priced ones.

Also, backup your hard drives and photos and documents to external hard drives kept outside of your house or to the cloud. If they steal your computers, they will probably steal the hard drives next to them, and unless you are prepared (and thankfully I was), you will lose everything.

And, burglaries are low priority for the police, so don't expect them to do much of anything even if you yourself track down the pawnshop your things were brought to and you have a damn IP address thanks to Netflix that they hooked up your stuff to watch, get this, Pawn Stars, on Christmas morning.

When I got burglarized the feeling of someone being in my personal space was so much worse then loosing the material stuff. U just feel violated.

Took me a while to sleep comfortably at night, and not out of safety reasons, just ickiness. To this day I still feel a little uncomfortable leaving on holiday.

RS4-

Fuck, sorry to hear about that Sept (SRK sept?!)

I hope it all works out and they catch the fuckers.

entremet

Happened to me to me as well. Sucks. The worst is the paranoia you develop. I couldn't sleep for soundly for weeks.

Feels bad, man. Happened to my family couple times while trying to sell it.

I hope they face a harsh wrath for what they did. Just stay safe

Brakke

Banned
Terrible situation sorry to hear it. Good hustle on the positive attitude. I have nightmares about my house getting burgled not because I own anything particularly important it because I'm my sure my dog would put up a fight or at least intimidate enough that he'd get hurt.

A similar situation happened to an uncle. Three houses on the block got ransack while my uncle and his family were away on vacation. Lost a bunch of stuff including their car. Insurance helped but definitely didn't get hem there. Fingerprinting was useless. They tried keeping an eye on Craigslist to see the fencing happen but no luck there.

A month or two later, my uncle is riding the bus to work (since his car is stolen) and sees a dude a few seats up wearing his dad's old beat up bomber jacket. Realizes this dude stole that jacket out of his closet, called police and they met the bus at the next stop. Managed to get most of their stuff back before it got sold away (including the car) but man what a stroke of luck.

Diabelli

My family home got burgled when I was younger. Fortunately we were out at the time. Our shit was ransacked and there was a big ass fucking shovel in the kitchen. I dread to think what they were planning on using that for if we were home.

Wtf are you part of some royal family?
Yes, I am a king. That's why I'm sweating over a few thousand dollars' worth of stolen goods instead of ordering my Royal Guard to stomp these people into the ground.

This happened to me. I'm glad you mentioned home owners insurance. If you don't have it, get some, and if you do have it, review what it covers and your deductions and limits.

Also, if you are a collector, take photos and keep a detailed list. I collect a lot of video games, and when they were nearly all stolen, the insurance people didn't put up a fight when I said "listen, I got this game that's worth 500 bucks" and the agreed to pay it.

Also, for video games, especially modern ones, my insurance company basically had a blanket rule that modern games were about 37 dollars each (they average prices from Best Buy) and older games are about 20 or so. This worked out fine most of the time except for my truly rare ones, but since I had photos and records of every game and system I owned, they never balked even at some of the ridiculously priced ones.

Also, backup your hard drives and photos and documents to external hard drives kept outside of your house or to the cloud. If they steal your computers, they will probably steal the hard drives next to them, and unless you are prepared (and thankfully I was), you will lose everything.

And, burglaries are low priority for the police, so don't expect them to do much of anything even if you yourself track down the pawnshop your things were brought to and you have a damn IP address thanks to Netflix that they hooked up your stuff to watch, get this, Pawn Stars, on Christmas morning.

Took me a while to sleep comfortably at night, and not out of safety reasons, just ickiness. To this day I still feel a little uncomfortable leaving on holiday.
Oddly enough, they skipped over all of our electronics. I think it might be known that that stuff can be tracked, but also they seemed to only take small, light, valuable stuff like jewelry (which can be pocketed), so I suspect they might have been on foot.

My neighbor thinks one of them might be female, since someone took time to try on one of her fur coats but didn't actually take it. They also took some inexplicable stuff from my house, like my wife's toiletries bag, which is not valuable at all. I thought maybe they would have wanted the bag to bag up other things, but they took everything that was in it, too.

Fuck, sorry to hear about that Sept (SRK sept?!)

I hope it all works out and they catch the fuckers.
Yeah, that's me.

I doubt they'll catch anything. There are no prints and no witnesses. The cops have been driving around a bit more often than usual, but I doubt that'll amount to anything.

styl3s

Sorry to hear ive been there and it sucks.

If you are able get you a decent security setup (alarm wise) and video wise. You can get a half dozen great quality cameras w/ DVR and streaming capabilities to your smart phone at really affordable prices these days and i recommend every home owner to invest in both cameras and an actual alarm. They have alarms so nuts you have can it where if a mother fucker breaths on your window it's gonna go off
ok i might be exaggerating but you get the picture

Also, if you own quite a bit of valuables maybe invest a little save you can even bolt it down inside of your closet if you want. I cut/dug under and bolted it inside the floor so it's impossible to move and it keeps family heirlooms, expensive jewelry and just stuff that i don't want stolen or destroyed in a fire.

Xcellere

I take it you didn't have an alarm in the house? We bought an alarm system (SimpliSafe) a year ago when we bought our house, and already its protected us from one burglary attempt. Each window and door has a battery-operated sensor that stays on even in a power failure. Burglar tried going in through a window during the day, and sure enough the sensor went off and scared them away.

Thieves don't steal electronics anymore. Everyone has electronics now and it ain't an easy flip anymore with things being tracked and what not. Jewelry is the only thing they'll steal.

No Love

Banned
Sorry to hear ive been there and it sucks.

If you are able get you a decent security setup (alarm wise) and video wise. You can get a half dozen great quality cameras w/ DVR and streaming capabilities to your smart phone at really affordable prices these days and i recommend every home owner to invest in both cameras and an actual alarm. They have alarms so nuts you have can it where if a mother fucker breaths on your window it's gonna go off
ok i might be exaggerating but you get the picture

Also, if you own quite a bit of valuables maybe invest a little save you can even bolt it down inside of your closet if you want. I cut/dug under and bolted it inside the floor so it's impossible to move and it keeps family heirlooms, expensive jewelry and just stuff that i don't want stolen or destroyed in a fire.

This is the alarm system I used at my business. We has 6 breaks ins within 5 weeks and this caught them every time http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KHGVD4Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Christopher

you know I just thought about this the other day if someone broke in what on earth would they steal....???

It might so inconvient but I get a safe deposit box at the bank, and don't horde my things at home. I know if I have an occasion I withdraw it, use it, and then place it back.

I'm sorry this happened to you - thank GOD you guys weren't hurt though.

This is the type of thing I freak out about. I'm getting ready to move into a town house and I don't know what I'd do if I got robbed especially if I was in bed and woke up during it!

Sorry for your loss OP. When I got robbed I was at home and had a revolver put to my head while 3 people took my stuff. In the end nothing is more valuable than your life.

shira

3. Check your homeowner's insurance! As it turns out, my policy looks like it has good coverage, but--surprise!--that limit also has sub-limits on it, such as a $3,000 maximum for all jewelry! So whoops! Of the stuff that got jacked, a few pieces, alone, are worth more than that, so I'm boned! Whee! Check your policy.

That is rough. WTF.

kirblar

Yeah, Jewelry isn't covered in large amounts on standard plans- you have to get another amount for that. Had to look into whether or not MTG cards fell under a standard policy for me (they do.)

Quick update: we got a home security system from Frontpoint. I like it quite a lot, but we're also considering maybe switching to SimpliSafe. Does anyone have experience with either of these? We're also considering putting in surveillance cameras, but check this out:

http://abc7.com/news/detectives-seek-publics-help-identifying-arcadia-burglary-suspects/477316/

Even with clear pictures of their faces (and these might be the very same burglars who jacked my house), the police can't seem to get them.

And then there's this: http://m.spotcrime.com/mobile/map/index.html#5530 Cochin Ave, Arcadia, CA 91006, USA

Looks like they're hovering around our area, hitting up various houses. It's probably easy pickings for them, too, since when we talked with our neighbors, all of them said they'd lived around here for 20, 30, or even 40 years, and there's never been any crime, so their security practices are lax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom