• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My launch ps5 is dead

rnlval

You didn't answer the second half of the question though.

Because you don't get that tax rebate automatically and have to wait until the next filing year.

What will the person go out of pocket on top of that 499 card?
There is an increase in advertisement biltz for the end of the financial year spending i.e. I have Dell, HP and 'etc' sales rep telemarketing their gear for the end of the financial year spending.

Canada is a smallish market with about 38 million population while the US has 330 million + Australia has a 26 million population size.

Annual PC desktop sales smashed game console sales.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
There is an increase in advertisement biltz for the end of the financial year spending i.e. I have Dell, HP and 'etc' sales rep telemarketing their gear for the end of the financial year spending.

Canada is a smallish market with 38 million while the US has 330 million + Australia has a 26 million population size.

Annual PC desktop sales smashed game console sales.
Still didn't answer my question though.

It's like you are purposely avoiding it

On top of that 499 card, what else would they have to spend out of pocket to get a PS5/Series X capable machine?

Assuming they had no PC parts and no clue how to build one.

rnlval

Still didn't answer my question though.

It's like you are purposely avoiding it

On top of that 499 card, what else would they have to spend out of pocket to get a PS5/Series X capable machine?

Assuming they had no PC parts and no clue how to build one.
Your argument is framed within the Canadian context. My argument is framed in either an American or Australian personal income taxation context.

Fahdis

The argument was "I don't want to buy a $1500 GPU or a $500 console".

Any X86-64 PC with 8 cores and AVX 2 is sufficient since PS5 has a lower Zen 2 clock speed i.e. 3.2 GHz.

5kauFUS.png

Ryzen 5 5600G has six Zen 3 CPU cores with 50% instruction load and 100% instruction store improvements, hence six Zen 3 cores rival 8 cores Zen 2s.

Multi-core CPU Load-Store scaling can run into memory bandwidth bottlenecks, hence improvements such as large 3D cache, DDR5 (e.g. Ryzen 7000, Intel Anderlake), and server-scale CPU IO (Ryzen Threadripper).

Ryzen 4700S are recovered PS5 APUs with disabled(defective) iGPU SKUs that are being sold into the PC market.

NVIDIA has RTX Ampere counterpart SKUs for AMD's RX 6600 XT, RX 6750XT, and RX 6700 XT. I also prefer NVIDIA RTX Ampere GPUs e.g. I have RTX 3070 Ti (GA104, MSI Supreme X model for living room PC) and RTX 3080 Ti (GA102, MSI Trio GX model for gaming PC), but AMD RDNA 2 GPUs are also good GPU offerings.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=497,513,494,508,506&sort=price

RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X 8G OCV1 LHR has $499.99.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-gaming-x-trio/33.html

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

$499 RTX 3060 Ti is beating Xbox Series X's RTX 2080 target level.

Look this is very nice and all but if I had to spend alot more money than $500 because I'm an ass like that, I'd go all the way with waiting for Lovelace and get a 4080 variant. Also, your post is very technical. I actually appreciate the effort of your knowledge but layman's would be; price to output ratio this card is better than that over consoles.

I still don't really care much for consoles because it doesn't give you options for superior AI reconstruction tech (although FSR 2.0 carrying forward may change this) and I get a better bang for my buck changing resolutions and ingame graphics settings to my choosing.

Other reasons are purely due to free online, free keys and regional stores. Outside of that $499 is just the GPU and thats a price of a full console. Making a PC is still not an option for some. I could make the best PC right now, but I'm seeing myself less invested and more into travelling and business as I have hit my mid 30's. Gaming is now a hobby for when I have free time. But definitely love talking about the tech.

So thanks for your overall synopsis. Cheers man.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So I have news! Apologies to mods if this constitutes a forbidden act of necromancy.

The 6 week period expired so I called the shop, since I hadn't heard anything. The good news: the shop will honor the warranty, in fact August 2nd was the day they approved Sony's budget for the warranty claim. The not so good news: I don't know if I explained this before, but at least on Europe Sony has a sort of conveyor belt system were broken ps5s enter one way, they're fixed and refurbished and exit the conveyor belt as working ps5s to satisfy warranty claims. The problem is that my ps5 is not repairable - apparently the poor thing self destructed. Which means I am getting a brand spanking new unit - but since stock is what it is, it will take longer. Shop guy said he believed it'd get sorted in August which means 2 months of downtime for me.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mine just randomly turned off for the first time yesterday while playing Returnal. Game froze, PS5 turned off. Had to unplug it to get it going again. Might be an overheating thing, although when it started again it said there had been a software error. But maybe that's what it says either way.

Quasicat

Yea, things that can be replaced with ease. Besides, why do people get so pissed with options. I don't want to buy a $1500 GPU or a $500 console, when I have the same quality experience with a $50 or $100 sub annually on a Gig internet. Besides, I don't have space for those fucking huge Foreman Grills or Minecraft 2x Cubes when my choice of hardware is an App online.
The moment Microsoft can put my purchased library on their cloud service, I may be in the same boat. I’ve always wanted convenience in gaming, and if I can play my games from the Cloud at work using my phone or tablet…I will be set!

tmlDan

Mine just randomly turned off for the first time yesterday while playing Returnal. Game froze, PS5 turned off. Had to unplug it to get it going again. Might be an overheating thing, although when it started again it said there had been a software error. But maybe that's what it says either way.
I think its a software issue, i used to have them quite frequently a few patches ago but it hasn't happened since. It scared me cause i thought it died but i just unplugged it and it worked again.

Hopefully it's not a recurring thing for you.

Portugeezer

Sounds like those launch PS5 crashes. Got sorted with firmware updates, hopefully just a random software issue for you.

Top Bottom