• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

People didn't seem to fancy the idea of epic episodes, most people dismiss the pilot episodes are simply okay, but I kinda liked the sailor moon vibe. :p

Cheerilee

Myke Greywolf said:
"Sonic Rainboom" to Rarity: Don't try to upstage your goddess - at least, not while she's watching.
Was that the stated lesson or your alternate? Because I think it might be both (it's the true reading of the stated lesson).

"Fall Weather Friends" to Rainbow Dash: If you bring a gun to a knife fight, you may win, but most people will mark you as a jerk.
Boo! More like "Members of the master races shouldn't try to play with filthy Earth Ponies. They cannot keep up. If you let them win and they find out about it, they won't be grateful or impressed, they will insult you and try to make you ashamed of your superior lineage."

Valygar said:
Now a little more on topic, I think the last episode of the season was a bit weak. I expected something a bit more epic, like the first episode, and it was a "normal" episode, even a bit boring :/.
Yeah, I'm spoiled by season-ending cliffhangers. And the first two episodes. And the first episode cliffhanger. I wish the show would return to it's adventure roots on occasion.

Incidentally, getting your hopes shot down by the last episode of season 1 fits in perfectly with the last episode of season 1. It is perfection. Hail Celestia.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I appreciate the predominant "slice of life" nature of the show, but that doesn't that i don't find myself wishing for a few more adventure-based episodes at times - episodes like Dragonshy, Swarm of the Century and A Dog and Pony Show, at least. I think Jayson Thiessen hinted at the presence of a "big bad" for season 2, so you may be in for a treat. :)

And welcome, Valygar!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
im actually interested if season 2 will keep expanding the equestrian bestiary or if the prevalence of 'monsters' in season one was a hold over from fausts initial designs for the sailor moon style show.

Adelor Lyon

Neo Member
Pandaman said:
im actually interested if season 2 will keep expanding the equestrian bestiary or if the prevalence of 'monsters' in season one was a hold over from fausts initial designs for the sailor moon style show.
I've always wondered what it would be like if they made two shows: One for Hub and the other for, say, Adult Swim. It doesn't need to be raunchy or anything, but maybe story-arced with a mature, complex story line, personal loss experienced by the characters, and true character development? Same artists, same voice actors, same writers. As loathe as I am to bring up anything Sonic the Hedgehog related, I'm reminded of the Saturday morning cartoons from the 90's. Cute and fun, but edgy and surprisingly mature at times. I'd be very willing to see what the writers can do with notching the dramatic tension and possibility of real conflict and loss up quite a bit.

I'm also very reluctant to suggest messing with a formula that's working so well. Besides, fan artists and writers are doing enough high-quality and edgy stuff via fan art and fiction, and Adult Swim probably wouldn't air an episode showing that Twilight's one hell of a drinker, as funny as it becomes.

McNum

Myke Greywolf said:
I appreciate the predominant "slice of life" nature of the show, but that doesn't that i don't find myself wishing for a few more adventure-based episodes at times - episodes like Dragonshy, Swarm of the Century and A Dog and Pony Show, at least. I think Jayson Thiessen hinted at the presence of a "big bad" for season 2, so you may be in for a treat. :)

And welcome, Valygar!
I like the balance we have right now, too. Yes they live in a Fantasy world and there's dragons and manticores and all kinds of mythical creatures lurking in the Everfree Forest. But that's not the focus of the show, it's just the setting. Yes, some episodes have the ponies cross paths with these, but others are just fun episodes about the daily life in Ponyville, and these are usually the stronger episodes, too.

I do want to see the Elements of Harmony return for an episode or two next season. But I don't want them overexposed. I'm glad they haven't been used as a cure-all for all the external conflicts. That could have been tempting. So we now know, that if and when the Elements are brought out, things are serious. I still think that it's a part of why Celestia picked those six to go persuade the dragon in Dragonshy. But Fluttershy took care of that problem, so no need to call out the Elements. But if Fluttershy hadn't...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pandaman said:

Hydra's Manticores, Dragons. I'd assume all mythical creatures are fair game.

McNum

DrForester said:
Hydra's Manticores, Dragons. I'd assume all mythical creatures are fair game.
I'd imagine Centaurs are out. Unless they're horses with a pony's body for a head. That'd look weird. Could always go for some giant spiders or something. Those are always fun.

Calpain

According to Ingram's Facebook page it looks like we are indeed going to be getting some more Broadway inspired songs for season two. I'm glad to hear this as it was the Sondheim inspired songs from the first season that actually introduced me to Sondheim musicals.

So with this news, what sort of Broadway musicals would you like to see homage paid to in the show? I don't personally know much about musicals so I look forward to whatever they do as it will just end up introducing me to more music in the end.

As for the monster thing, I wouldn't mind if they created some unique monsters of their own as long as they are well done. If they have a sea based episode it might be interesting to see a Kraken or something similar make an appearance.

Adelor Lyon

Neo Member
Calpain said:
So with this news, what sort of Broadway musicals would you like to see homage paid to in the show? I don't personally know much about musicals so I look forward to whatever they do as it will just end up introducing me to more music in the end.
Something Lion King related besides Hakuna Matata. I'd explode twice if that happened. Maybe a spoof of "I Just Can't Wait to be King" sung by the CMC?

Maybe Trixie opens a grooming shop in Ponyville and Twilight goes in for a trim. Cue Sweeney Todd.

Nishastra

Banned
McNum said:
I'd imagine Centaurs are out. Unless they're horses with a pony's body for a head. That'd look weird.
That... The idea of a ponytaur is somehow horrifying. Make it a ponytaur with a ponytaur for a head and you're on your way to some kind of centipede.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ruby_onix said:
Boo! More like "Members of the master races shouldn't try to play with filthy Earth Ponies. They cannot keep up. If you let them win and they find out about it, they won't be grateful or impressed, they will insult you and try to make you ashamed of your superior lineage."

lolwut

I'm still disappointed Rainbow Dash never got a (negative) comeuppance she definitely deserved in that episode.

Such a pony-sue.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Calpain said:

When Nightmare Moon is in her exile house
Behind Celestia's prison's bars
Then peace will guide all ponies
And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the age of Equestria
The age of Equestria
Equestria!
Equestria!

-----

For Applejack:

If I were a rich mare
Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum
All day long I'd drink my apple rum
If I were a wealthy mare

I wouldn't have to work hard
Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum
Celestia, who made the pony and the lamb
You decreed I should be what I am
Would it spoil your plan to make us share
If I were a wealthy mare

McNum

Nishastra said:
That... The idea of a ponytaur is somehow horrifying. Make it a ponytaur with a ponytaur for a head and you're on your way to some kind of centipede.
And now I wish I was good at drawing. Because, yes, the idea of a ponytaur is actually pretty creepy. Let's not begin thinking about a pony centipede, though. Bad ideas lie that way.

I'm still of the opinion that earth ponies are completely useless. Just watching how much effort it takes Applejack to applebuck in that applebucking episode and then seeing Twilight just applebuck like thirty trees at once at the end of the episode...

They're useless.

applebuck

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Green Mamba said:
I'm still of the opinion that earth ponies are completely useless. Just watching how much effort it takes Applejack to applebuck in that applebucking episode and then seeing Twilight just applebuck like thirty trees at once at the end of the episode...

They're useless.

applebuck
dot forget fluttershy was clearing trees just by looking at them. clearly the trees know who wears the saddle in equestria.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Green Mamba said:

They're useless.

applebuck
Pinkie Pie can teleport/time-travel and even venture into alternate dimensions.

Applejack can't do any of this because she's a hick who didn't go to school and learn the relevant skills.

tiff said:
Don't make me post some!
Please rerfrain from doing so.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Green Mamba said:

They're useless.

applebuck

Counterpoint: Swarm of the Century

BOOM, ROASTED

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
4W0cD.jpg

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
SCOOTALOOOOOOOO!

I like the style of that comic, what with the lack of borders and "smudgey" feeling and whatnot.

Calpain said:

The Music Man would work well. You already have the Marion character in Twilight. Plus it's a great excuse to give Sweetie Belle her mark.

Anything from My Fair Lady would be nice as well. I really like the idea of Filly on the Roof, Myke. Sunrise, Sunset could be a Celestia Luna focused song.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
EiHHB.jpg

fellow flank connoisseurs, a wondrous season will soon be upon us.

i totally just bought a tablet to draw ponies. -.- in my defense, it was $50 off on sale

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Captain Fish said:
Anything from My Fair Lady would be nice as well. I really like the idea of Filly on the Roof, Myke. Sunrise, Sunset could be a Celestia Luna focused song.

Who, day and night must scramble for a living
Feed the unicorns, and all the pegasi
And who has no right, having no horn or wing
To deal with magic or to fly
Earth ponies, Earth ponies
Tradition!
Tradition!

Who must know the way to fiddle with the sky
A peaceful sky, or stormy sky
Who must make the clouds and push them to the sky
So earth ponies can grow their crops
Pegasi, Pegasi
Tradition!
Pegasi, Pegasi
Tradition!

At three I started magic school
At ten I'd learned my spells
Soon I will get my cutie mark
I hope it's pretty
And who does Celestia train
To rule and oversee
Preparing us to enforce
Whatever her decree
Unicorns, Unicorns
Tradition!
Unicorns, Unicorns
Tradition!

I spend too much time (and have too much fun) doing this.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Pandaman said:
fellow flank connoisseurs, a wondrous season will soon be upon us.

i totally just bought a tablet to draw ponies. -.- in my defense, it was $50 off on sale
A beast has been unleashed among us. May Celestia have mercy on us all.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Myke Greywolf said:

It could be worse, he could've posted the abomination that is bagged milk.

/CanadianStereotype

Myke Greywolf said:
Who, day and night must scramble for a living
Feed the unicorns, and all the pegasi
And who has no right, having no horn or wing
To deal with magic or to fly
Tradition!
Tradition!

Who must know the way to fiddle with the sky
A peaceful sky, or stormy sky
Who must make the clouds and push them to the sky
So earth ponies can grow their crops
Pegasi, Pegasi
Tradition!
Pegasi, Pegasi
Tradition!

At three I started magic school
At ten I'd learned my spells
Soon I will get my cutie mark
I hope it's pretty
And who does Celestia train
To rule and oversee
Preparing us to enforce
Whatever her decree
Unicorns, Unicorns
Tradition!
Unicorns, Unicorns
Tradition!

I spend too much time (and have too much fun) doing this.

This is excellent! :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Narag said:
2%. You have chosen... wisely.
is there any other kind? :p

Myke Greywolf said:
and its all your fault!
as punishment, i shall subject you to near constant begging for tips and criticisms whenever you're on ponychat.

Pankaks said:
It could be worse, he could've posted the abomination that is bagged milk.

/CanadianStereotype
corner store was sold out of the good stuff, eh. now 2 litres of my blue bin are being monopolized by 1 box. laaame.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Pandaman said:
and its all your fault!
as punishment, i shall subject you to near constant begging for tips and criticisms whenever you're on ponychat.
With your kind of enthusiasm in front of me as an example, how can I ever afford to lose the will to draw more and get better at it? Impossible. :)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
pressure tool letting you do fine details with a 72pix brush is unghhhh. you see a slight error and all you have to do is gently edge into it until its gone. so nice.

OMG Aero

I can't wait for the new and improved Adventures of Pandaman and 2th comic.
And I like that Pandaman bought a Wacom Bamboo tablet. Make sure you don't eat it by mistake.

cajunator

Banned
I find it amusing how this show garnered a predominantly older male following and yet many people have no fucking idea why. Ponies are manly, dammit.
Especially flutterguy.

Adelor Lyon

Neo Member
cajunator said:
I find it amusing how this show garnered a predominantly older male following and yet many people have no fucking idea why. Ponies are manly, dammit.
Because people like things that are nice before they like things that are manly.

To Myke for his musicals:
Tradition.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom